• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 11:59 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3892 posts
2044 upvotes
Toronto
DollarSqueezer wrote: This is for my daughter's kids bike. Any one know where I can can get this crank bearing replaced? And approximately how much.

Thanks a million.
If you are near Dundas West Stn, the cheapest place to get this is Bike Pirates (1564 Bloor St. W)
http://bikepirates.com/newpartsales/
They have very limited hours for new part purchases:
Tuesday: 5-7pm
Saturday: 12-3pm
Just bring the caged bearings with you, and ask for a new replacement.

Bike Pirates is a non profit DIY bike repair place, so pretty much guaranteed you would get it for cheapest price.

If on the east end, try Bike Sauce (check website for their limited service hours)
https://bikesauce.org/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9536 posts
2258 upvotes
Montreal, QC
DollarSqueezer wrote: This is for my daughter's kids bike. Any one know where I can can get this crank bearing replaced? And approximately how much.

Thanks a million.
LBS have bearing gauges, if you pop one out, they can measure it for you, loose the cage and replace with just loose bearing, the more, the better, can probably double from 7 to 14 bearings.
The other issue with the cage I've seen is that overly wornt bearings will end up having its cage destroyed and it wrecks havocs then, they only exist to speed up installation IMO.

Make sure to clean out the old grease well using a solvent, avoid detergent/soap as it can leave behind residue/contaminents, you don't want to mix different greases.
Pack/fill it will grease and stick them bearings into the cups.

Also, did you check the cups and cone for wear?
Depending if it's a standard sized BB/spindle lenght/type, it may be better to just swap it for a cartridge bottom bracket, not expensive (~$20), maintenance and adjustment free and last a long time.
Oct 1, 2007
187 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Will try my local bike shop first, as I'm quite far from downtown. Great tips. Thanks for the replies.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3892 posts
2044 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: I notice people cycling with go-pro’s on their helmet.
Is this kind of like a dash cam for bikes? In case you get run over you will have some justice kind of thing?
Its kind of clever actually.
As the devices have become cheaper, there has been exponential growth in cyclist purchases.
Clever, but ultimately sad that cyclists need to take such measures, given how the law does little to protect them.
Besides accident footage, I suppose the hope is to encounter something strange and unique, and be able to post the footage online.
Lots of Karens waiting to be discovered on reddit, lol!
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11746 posts
1770 upvotes
Vancouver
I’m a commuter. I’m going to have some hydraulic brakes installed. Any idea how much a kit costs to replace my mechanical brakes? I am not sure exactly what specific parts I need. I think some come sold as a kit which includes all I need.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3578 posts
1383 upvotes
Mississauga
trellaine201 wrote: I’m a commuter. I’m going to have some hydraulic brakes installed. Any idea how much a kit costs to replace my mechanical brakes? I am not sure exactly what specific parts I need. I think some come sold as a kit which includes all I need.

Thanks
Why in the world would you ever want to do that????
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11746 posts
1770 upvotes
Vancouver
Because mechanical brakes are a pain in the ass for me.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19838 posts
5195 upvotes
Off the 404
trellaine201 wrote: Because mechanical brakes are a pain in the ass for me.
In terms of reliability? Stopping power? Costs? I am curious as well, I am using traditional v-brakes and looking into upgrading into mechanical disc brakes.

I'm not an expert, but I thought hydraulic brakes are more expensive, harder to work on and maintain, and is mainly used for heavy/fast bikes like road bikes and e-bikes.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11746 posts
1770 upvotes
Vancouver
The main reason I’m getting them is stopping power. I commute and have hills. They should be more responsive especially in the wet weather. As well I found with mechanical brakes I was always having someone fiddle with them as the pads only wear on one side. Hydraulics the pads wear evenly on both sides. Just gonna try them out. For my purpose I’m hoping it solves these two issues. Like anything, nothing is perfect though.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3892 posts
2044 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: I’m a commuter. I’m going to have some hydraulic brakes installed. Any idea how much a kit costs to replace my mechanical brakes? I am not sure exactly what specific parts I need. I think some come sold as a kit which includes all I need.

Thanks
They sell kits that can be mounted on any frame?
Usually, you need a frame and fork that has mount points for disc brakes.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13115 posts
7191 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: The main reason I’m getting them is stopping power. I commute and have hills. They should be more responsive especially in the wet weather. As well I found with mechanical brakes I was always having someone fiddle with them as the pads only wear on one side. Hydraulics the pads wear evenly on both sides. Just gonna try them out. For my purpose I’m hoping it solves these two issues. Like anything, nothing is perfect though.
list what your bike and current setup are.

Drop or flat bar? Shimano or SRAM etc.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13115 posts
7191 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: Flat bar/ commuter. Shamano, DRM?

http://www.devinci.com/archive/2009/hyb ... rid_EN.htm

Pretty old now and some parts have been changed over the years. :). But still in pretty good shape.
I’d try a good mechanical disc like the Avid BB7 or TRP Spyre.

If you insist on going hydraulic then try something like Shimano Deore from a UK shop like Merlin

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)