• Oct 16th, 2020 11:59 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43768 posts
6990 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
SpectralMeat wrote: I like these tires, but I wouldn't go any skinnier on this bike. These are 26x2.0 Schwalbe CX tires. I am still riding the bike like a mountain bike meaning taking all the shortcuts I can, going off road, jumping road curbs, etc etc. No trail there, no problem I'll make my own trail. :)
If I was only riding the road then it would be a different story, but then again I would be riding a road bike then instead of a mountain bike.
Banana bike :lol: I've never heard anyone called it like that. It is a really fun bike to ride anyways, and I assume it is easy to notice it from a car also because of the color.

Now looking at Strava my morning 8km commute to work takes 19~20 minutes, 25km/h average speed and 40km/h max which is fine. I could push it a bit harder but since I've just started out riding to work in the morning the legs need a little time to get used to it, and also I don't want to be soaked when I get to work. This exact same route takes me around 15 minutes via my car, however I feel that by the end of Summer I will be around the 15 minutes mark with my bike also. There are sections of this route where I know I can do better, so we will see.

Have you ever tried the bicycle feature on google maps?
They do a pretty good job at showing all the bicycle routes... including 'suggested' roads e.g. roads with no designated bike path, but ok for cycling.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7258 posts
1311 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
UrbanPoet wrote: Have you ever tried the bicycle feature on google maps?
They do a pretty good job at showing all the bicycle routes... including 'suggested' roads e.g. roads with no designated bike path, but ok for cycling.
yep that is what I am looking at
Steam: SpectralMeat
Oct 27, 2010
587 posts
1006 upvotes

If you're looking for Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver or Victoria biking routes, I'm a big fan of Ride the City. It gives you three options for your route (direct route, safe, and safest) and the map is overlayed with bike shop locations along the way.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43768 posts
6990 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
dohanley wrote: If you're looking for Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver or Victoria biking routes, I'm a big fan of Ride the City. It gives you three options for your route (direct route, safe, and safest) and the map is overlayed with bike shop locations along the way.

Sweet! I had no idea... Thanks for sharing!

I'm going to add this to the first page in a 'useful links and resources' section!
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7258 posts
1311 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I am in Kitchener, I will check out the link for the routes anyways.
Thanks

Edit: nm Kitchener is not on there only big cities, cool idea anyways, but for now I am stuck with Google maps
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1620 posts
251 upvotes
Newmarket
i like this thread :)

i'm definitely a casual rider.......i do daily riding.......in my basement lol

i have my road bike on a trainer, and since my time is very limited, i try to sneak about an hour daily on it.....it's mainly to keep feet, and not get fat :D

when the weather is nicer, then my whole family goes out (husband, two kids, and i)........i usually use my tiny mountain bike for that, as it's a lot more comfortable, and less scary than my road bike....i still need more outside time on the road bike in order to get more comfortable

the first bike i rode here in canada was my cousin's that she lent me for the day, it was one of those canadian tire bikes......the thing was very heavy, and pretty awkward, too big for me, and i hated it.........so my husband took me to cyclepath on yonge in north york (i believe they closed down), and i bought a cheap mountain bike by giant..........that's the one i'm still using, a few years later he wanted to get me a very light road bike, and i got my first an probably last carbon frame bike......

husband is more of a cyclist as he bikes to work and back home when the weather is nice.........it's ~30km one way
he has a bigger collection of bikes..........the craziest one imo is his yellow recumbent

i think we'll be signing up for the ride for heart this year.........we've done it a few times, but skipped last two years as we were out of the country
50km is what we've done before, but i might want to try out 75km this year.........we like it when we're on the road, and there's almost nobody around

i hate riding on the road because it scared the crap out of me......so we usually stick to park paths
Aug 8, 2006
134 posts
14 upvotes
Halifax
Damned all you folks with your fancy bike lanes and flatish cities :P Halifax is too damned hilly and not enough bike lanes where I want to go :( I've gotten back onto my ancient steel Trek 800 "mountain" bike for the time being, and have to use a good range of gears. Trying to save up some cash and get a hybrid or mountain bike now. Giant's looking pretty good for hybrids :)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43768 posts
6990 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
jelena-c wrote: i like this thread :)

i'm definitely a casual rider.......i do daily riding.......in my basement lol

i have my road bike on a trainer, and since my time is very limited, i try to sneak about an hour daily on it.....it's mainly to keep feet, and not get fat :D

when the weather is nicer, then my whole family goes out (husband, two kids, and i)........i usually use my tiny mountain bike for that, as it's a lot more comfortable, and less scary than my road bike....i still need more outside time on the road bike in order to get more comfortable

the first bike i rode here in canada was my cousin's that she lent me for the day, it was one of those canadian tire bikes......the thing was very heavy, and pretty awkward, too big for me, and i hated it.........so my husband took me to cyclepath on yonge in north york (i believe they closed down), and i bought a cheap mountain bike by giant..........that's the one i'm still using, a few years later he wanted to get me a very light road bike, and i got my first an probably last carbon frame bike......

husband is more of a cyclist as he bikes to work and back home when the weather is nice.........it's ~30km one way
he has a bigger collection of bikes..........the craziest one imo is his yellow recumbent

i think we'll be signing up for the ride for heart this year.........we've done it a few times, but skipped last two years as we were out of the country
50km is what we've done before, but i might want to try out 75km this year.........we like it when we're on the road, and there's almost nobody around

i hate riding on the road because it scared the crap out of me......so we usually stick to park paths

I'd encourage it! Road bikes are lots of fun. It doesn't take all that long to get used to. Considering your husband got you a carbon road bike, the geometry must be very aggressive. It would have been better if you started off with an entry level road bike... or even a touring bike! The seating/handle position isn't that aggressive, but its kind of like a road bike.

As far as riding on the road, its all a mental thing. As long as you're alert and safe you'll be okay. It took me a few months to get used to riding on the roads actually. And about a year to get to the point where I could weave through rush hour traffic and tight lanes without a sweat. :lol: I get a strange thrill out of it actually... Plus I get a feeling of freedom knowing that I can flow freely while everyone is stuck in traffic.
mavvy911 wrote: Damned all you folks with your fancy bike lanes and flatish cities :P Halifax is too damned hilly and not enough bike lanes where I want to go :( I've gotten back onto my ancient steel Trek 800 "mountain" bike for the time being, and have to use a good range of gears. Trying to save up some cash and get a hybrid or mountain bike now. Giant's looking pretty good for hybrids :)

I turned an un-used Canadian Tire mountain bike into a hybrid. All i did was fit skinny tires on it and it rides so smooth and fast on the road.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2009
1775 posts
387 upvotes
Markham
Just picked up a specialized hardrock sport from cyclepath markham over the weekend
[IMG]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 1397_n.jpg[/IMG]

I already posted this in the other cycling thread but seems like everyone else is too pre-occupied with racing and higher end bikes :(
I`m a total noob, this is first first non-canadian tire bike :facepalm:
Anyone know of any trails near markham that I could ride?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43768 posts
6990 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
ThaChingster wrote: Just picked up a specialized hardrock sport from cyclepath markham over the weekend
[IMG]http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 7_n.jpg[MG]

I already posted this in the other cycling thread but seems like everyone else is too pre-occupied with racing and higher end bikes :(
Yeah. Exactly. You don't have to be a billionaire cyclist to enjoy cycling :lol:
I'd actually like to challenge everyone to post a pic of their bike! Even if its a rusted commuter.
I prefer to see some pre 1989 road bikes, and City bikes of any year. :cheesygri

I`m a total noob, this is first first non-canadian tire bike :facepalm:
Anyone know of any trails near markham that I could ride?

I found this with a quick google search.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&saddr=ma ... =UTF8&z=11

Look into it a bit more. Maybe you'll find something.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7209 posts
428 upvotes
York
Don't know if this is the right place to ask but:

My back wheel is really screwed up, I'm not a mechanic or bike enthusiast but I believe it's off its axle. It spins fine but it wobbles left and right a bit touching my brakes and it's not how a wheel should spin.. I noticed that some of the spokes are very loose but have no idea how to tighten them up and align the wheel properly. I have a spare front wheel but realized that it doesn't have the gear thing for me to change my back gears on. I tried taking apart the screwed up wheel but couldn't get the gear thing off.. I can put it back together no problem but then I would need to tighten the spokes. I have no idea how they got loose anyway.. How do I do that?

I need to align (true) the wheel. Would tightening the spokes do that? Spoke key?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1003 posts
124 upvotes
dankup wrote: Don't know if this is the right place to ask but:

My back wheel is really screwed up, I'm not a mechanic or bike enthusiast but I believe it's off its axle. It spins fine but it wobbles left and right a bit touching my brakes and it's not how a wheel should spin.. I noticed that some of the spokes are very loose but have no idea how to tighten them up and align the wheel properly. I have a spare front wheel but realized that it doesn't have the gear thing for me to change my back gears on. I tried taking apart the screwed up wheel but couldn't get the gear thing off.. I can put it back together no problem but then I would need to tighten the spokes. I have no idea how they got loose anyway.. How do I do that?

I need to align (true) the wheel. Would tightening the spokes do that? Spoke key?

yes and yes.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... rim-truing
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1371 posts
18 upvotes

Beat me to it! I was about to post about the bike routes... just found out about it this week. It's awesome!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)