None
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!

The OFFICIAL E-bike(electric)/green discussion thread

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/e5k5c7.jpg[/IMG]
Hi, that's right, I have an official thread here because this is used to discuss the electric bike which are green/eco-friendly products.

So go ahead and discuss electric bikes that look like scooters and just regular bicycles!

http://www.ebikes.ca/faq.shtml

This is an example of an electric bicycle:
[IMG]http://www.scooter-electric-gas-motor-s ... le-320.jpg[/IMG]

w00t my first thread in green/eco-friendly sub forum, may it be a milestone for many years to come!

originally a bicycle/ebike thread but most discussion about e-bike and there is already a bicycle thread in the sports section.
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
212 replies
Mar 18, 2007
196 posts
25 upvotes
My bike has a lot more speeds. So far anywhere from 1 to 72km/h.

I haven't had any problems, never have to charge any batteries and any competent person can work on it. I also won't have a $300 battery to replace in a couple of years.

Buy a regular bike and ride it, you'll be surprised what you will be able to accomplish. Your waistline will shrink too :D
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2007
2543 posts
42 upvotes
GTA
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: Hi, that's right, I have an official thread here because this is used to discuss the electric bike which is a GREEN product.

k so anyways, is this place good?
http://www.daymak.com/bikes-toronto/eb/mainsect.html

and which bike would you recommend?

I want something that can go to the max speed and has lots of power.
and range.

Also I have a question, on the site the smart e-bike says:
Speed: 20-32Km/h(13.6-19.8mph)

while almost everything else says:
Max Speed 32 km/h

so..does that make the smart-bike slow? :confused:

w00t my first thread in green sub forum, may it be a milestone for many years to come!
Heh, thriving to be the "Official" guy? :p
<signature exceeds allowable length>
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
onecoolloser wrote: Heh, thriving to be the "Official" guy? :p
das rite!

also costco's bike doesn't have regen abilities.
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
So...what bikes or electric buys do you guys drive? brand and speeds please.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
bump
Sep 5, 2005
973 posts
2 upvotes
Why do you need an electric bike? Do you have no legs? All that the battery is going to do is weigh your bike down, and make you more sluggish on uphills, increasing your reliance on that battery (which is not "green").
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
epiphony wrote: Why do you need an electric bike? Do you have no legs? All that the battery is going to do is weigh your bike down, and make you more sluggish on uphills, increasing your reliance on that battery (which is not "green").
Well,
how about if I do have a regular bike but would like to get one for transportation when I am not able to ride my regular bike and don't want to take the bus.

I kind of have the situation right now where I can't ride my bike 2 or 3 days a week and would rather take something other than the city bus.
It's not a place I can walk to, and my other option is a cab/taxi wich is kind of $$ to do.
So, what would you suggest for a 20k max trip on fairly flat roads?

One advantage of an electric bike over a scooter is I don't think you need to pay for insurance for these....
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3409 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
What the heck is so 'green' about an electric bicycle?

The batteries are manufactured using ecologically unfriendly materials and they require (depending on ther market) that oil or coal be burned to charge them up - it is a VERY inefficient means to operate a powered device.

Buy a reguar bicycle (less energy involved in the manufacture and the technology is 'cleaner', too). You'll get exercise too.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
But with a regular bicycle, I arrive on time for work all sweaty and eww.

With an electric bike, I arrive on time and no-sweat.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
bump, added new link, Ebike FAQ
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
Bump, come on people, bicycles/ebikes are the new thing man, i totally owned the downtown core today.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
825 upvotes
Newmarket
fredsmith wrote: What the heck is so 'green' about an electric bicycle?

The batteries are manufactured using ecologically unfriendly materials and they require (depending on ther market) that oil or coal be burned to charge them up - it is a VERY inefficient means to operate a powered device.

Buy a reguar bicycle (less energy involved in the manufacture and the technology is 'cleaner', too). You'll get exercise too.
+1
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
then what makes a car green? same thing, bicycles FTW! cars FTL!
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
bump, now eco-friendly.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
2373 posts
57 upvotes
these bikes dont require a M licence or insurance correct?
Sep 5, 2005
973 posts
2 upvotes
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: then what makes a car green? same thing, bicycles FTW! cars FTL!
Norway recently came out and said that economy cars are no longer able to be labeled eco-friendly/green/etc. I'm with them 100%. Just because you're burning less oil than some other schmuck in a full size or SUV doesn't give you the right to act like a self-righteous jerk, or self label yourself as being "green". "Green" cars are not a solution, they're only a smaller problem. Electric bikes are a smaller problem as well, but still not a solution.

http://www.motortrader.com/25962/Green- ... -by-.ehtml
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
jwei wrote: these bikes dont require a M licence or insurance correct?
that's right! trust me on this one, I did 20+ hours of research, no lie.
epiphony wrote: Norway recently came out and said that economy cars are no longer able to be labeled eco-friendly/green/etc. I'm with them 100%. Just because you're burning less oil than some other schmuck in a full size or SUV doesn't give you the right to act like a self-righteous jerk, or self label yourself as being "green". "Green" cars are not a solution, they're only a smaller problem. Electric bikes are a smaller problem as well, but still not a solution.

http://www.motortrader.com/25962/Green- ... -by-.ehtml
thank you for your contribution.
Nov 19, 2005
88 posts
Toronto
Hey all,

FYI - those scooter shaped e-bikes are NOT the only option. You can 'convert' any regular bike/trike to electric with a motor/battery kit.

I converted my Raleigh Hybrid with the BIONX system. I really like it and it is everything it promised to be. I get a regular bike, but with the added power boost of the electric motor. It's also fun to go so much faster than 'normal' bike power.

It makes a normally tiring and hilly ride from Finch AVe to downtown Toronto much faster and less 'energy consuming (less sweaty too)' both before and after work. It is also cheaper than transit or driving and sometimes even faster than the ttc.

It uses some energy to recharge, but with this system, you can regenerate the power when braking, peddling or going down hills - making it stay charged for longer and less need for plugging in.

You can also ride you bike without the motor at all - just like any regular bike.

There are some dealers in Toronto - but i found it quite difficult to really get what i wanted. Most dealers didn't really know much - i knew more about the system from my own research. Also - company is Canadian (from Quebec) - so more accountability to the company might be available to us (as canadians).
This system (and others) seems to much more popular out west (especially in BC) - maybe some west coasters can give us feedback from this or other sytems?

And - in ONTARIO - you DO NOT need any licence or insurance, just the regular rules of bicycle riding apply (bell, light, reflectors, helmet etc...)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)