Sports & Recreation

OFFICIAL | Electric Kick Scooter Thread!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2023 7:33 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2399 posts
1088 upvotes

OFFICIAL | Electric Kick Scooter Thread!

With growing popularity of electric kick scooters, I thought we could have a dedicated thread for general discussions on them. Whether you have one for commuting or purely for recreation; a place to show off your new scooter, discuss user experiences, Q&A, maintenance, mods etc..

Let's go!

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
23 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2399 posts
1088 upvotes
For anyone who recently picked up a niu kqi3 sport/pro, this is what the battery compartment looks like. A user on reddit sent me this after he opened it up.

You have to peel off the rubber floor cover which is held on by adhesive backing so it might not be easy to stick back on. There's about 20 small screws to undo to take off the cover.

- Michael Scott
Aug 17, 2012
417 posts
449 upvotes
Vancouver
A lot of shops are cool with me walking a scooter around the shop. Only place I got kicked out of was the dollarama and another dollar store. My guess is they have theft issues. But i put a basket on my bars and i have a smaller footprint than someone with a full shopping cart.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2399 posts
1088 upvotes
Shadow888 wrote: So what psi are you running on the tires? I'm about to receive my kqi3 pro soon, just wanted to gather some info soon. Thanks
I'm running it at about 50psi. The rear tire was a pain to fill because my tradional bike pump won't fit over the stem. You have to use the hose extension that comes with the scooter, but it's so hard to remove it without letting a bunch of air back out
- Michael Scott
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
3037 posts
1638 upvotes
ON
Thanks OP.
Is the APP required to be running on your phone while you are riding the escooter?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2399 posts
1088 upvotes
MrBigNose wrote: Thanks OP.
Is the APP required to be running on your phone while you are riding the escooter?
No. I think you need it for initial setup and to toggle some settings but you don't have to be connected or have it running to ride.
- Michael Scott
Jun 15, 2013
72 posts
56 upvotes
B.C.
Zephyr22b wrote: I'm running it at about 50psi. The rear tire was a pain to fill because my tradional bike pump won't fit over the stem. You have to use the hose extension that comes with the scooter, but it's so hard to remove it without letting a bunch of air back out
Get the Xiaomi Air Pump- 1S version. It will solve the issue of letting a bunch of air out. Hardly lets any air out when you disconnect it. I have tried other air pumps, and this by far is the best at pumping up scooter tires without letting the air out when disconnecting. Pricey, but worth it. I picked it up on Aliexpress for $50 in the spring. Amazon has it but more expensive.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2399 posts
1088 upvotes
Herc71 wrote: Get the Xiaomi Air Pump- 1S version. It will solve the issue of letting a bunch of air out. Hardly lets any air out when you disconnect it. I have tried other air pumps, and this by far is the best at pumping up scooter tires without letting the air out when disconnecting. Pricey, but worth it. I picked it up on Aliexpress for $50 in the spring. Amazon has it but more expensive.
I saw others recommending this one too. I just remembered I have a bike suspension pump that I haven't tried on it yet. It has an anti-leak valve. Im hoping it will fit and work.
- Michael Scott
Jul 19, 2005
245 posts
82 upvotes
Question about the Shoppers drug mart Lectron Hs8, what is the equivalent of that model? I read there is lack of support from manufacturer and hardly any information about the model.
Dec 11, 2011
524 posts
837 upvotes
CALEDON
I've been riding ninbot scooters for a 2-3 years now. I think I have a combined mileage of around 4000KM. I abuse the crap of it and it takes it like a champ. I jump them, I take them off roading in the trails. I drift them into corners under braking (ninebot max is RWD with pretty strong front brakes with max regen). I also use them to run quick errands around stores. The best 1000$ I've ever spent. and no matter where I go, people STILL ask me about it.

love these things.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2399 posts
1088 upvotes
I see the Ninebots the most on the streets! I was hoping to find one at a Costco when I was originally looking for my first purchase.

I went for a ride on the weekend and an elderly man came up to me while I stopped for a break. He didn't speak any English but was obviously intrigued so I showed him how it worked and all the features.....he then robbed me of my scooter and left me stranded far away from home.

just kidding. He looked at the construction of it and all the components; gave 2 thumbs up and continued on his day.
- Michael Scott
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1459 posts
629 upvotes
Canada
The KQi3 Pro is probably the best value among those without suspensions. Anyone knows the best value for one with suspensions?
Sep 7, 2012
202 posts
231 upvotes
Vernon
Ordered my kqi on July 1st, hasnt updated my shipping since the 5th. Sigh. BC.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1726 posts
723 upvotes
anyone know how to remove kick start on the kqi pro 2 on iphones?
Sep 7, 2012
202 posts
231 upvotes
Vernon
epik89 wrote: anyone know how to remove kick start on the kqi pro 2 on iphones?
You cant, you have to find an andoird tablet to pair it with
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1250 posts
168 upvotes
Burnaby
so those who bought Niu escooters, what are your thoughts after owning them for a year? which model do you have?

another thread someone mentioned Qki2 Pro better value. They are on sale now, but trying to decide if worth it to pay $170 more for Qki3. buying for my son who is just using it casually to get to/from school and maybe to the mall that's 5km away with a bit of an incline.