Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 5 Thread (FAQ/Accessories/Development/Order + Stock Updates)

Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
soccerboy wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2013 5:09 pm
Go for it.
Thanks.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
Bisons wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2013 5:10 pm
Didn't think I'd want one but I'm considering a charging mat. My phones in the future will probably use this too so I'll get good use of it.
Any good recommendations for one? I have a US shipping address too.
I would recommend the Anker Qi Wireless Charger. I have it and its pretty good. A bit pricey however. Cheaper down south: http://www.amazon.com/UPGRADED-Qi-Enabl ... qi+charger

It works wonders with my N4 and I have had no issues. Here's my review for it from Amazon.ca:
I have never doubted the Anker brand from the get go as I have heard many great things from friends and family members. However when I purchased my Nexus 4 back in November of last year, I decided not to invest in a wireless Qi charger as I decided that I will wait few months to see whats in the market.

Lo and behold, that's exactly what Anker did. I was amazed that they finally released a wireless Qi charger and despite the price, I thought it was pretty competitive and I know that the brand is reputable.

I decided to take the plunge and buy the charger. I had no problems with shipping and the packaging that it came with it, is pretty solid.

I have had the charger now for a little over two weeks and of that two weeks I have used the product probably 3 times each week? Here is my observation when I first used the product:

There is a green LED indicating the power is and a flashing green LED beside with a battery icon indicating its charging. The phone has to be kept on the top upper portion of the charger and it charges well with my Seidio Surface case. It also works without the case just as well. After fully charging, there was no notification be it audible or a light that it was fully charged, so I guess one has to check. I'll dig into this matter more. Also you have to place the phone properly otherwise the battery icon will blink red on the charger itself. The surface is sort of slippery as well.

That being said after the two weeks of use, I finally realized that when the phone is fully charged, the green charging light no longer blinks but rather is solid. The charger also keeps the battery of the phone topped up, and as a result, when you pick up the phone, you won't see the battery percentage not less than 100% at all which is a good thing.

The phone does get hot initially for the first 10 to 15 minutes or so but it cools down after. The charger never gets hot at all and even when plugged in but not in use, it still doesn't get warm or hot.
Jan 23, 2009
4820 posts
1715 upvotes
Does Spigen on eBay combine shipping on different items?
There is no way to add to cart several items and then pay :(
Thanks
[OP]
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1010 upvotes
Thornhill
lifeisfuneh wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2013 5:31 pm
Thanks
Only if you get it shipped to US.
We do provide combined shipping for domestic customers, please select option during check out.

Source
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
Bisons wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2013 5:49 pm
Thanks, I'll look into that.
You're welcome.
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
Seems like the devs over at TWRP have dumped an unofficial custom recovery. Of course I can't test it myself since I don't have the device yet :razz: . However I will do so and try it out.

Just for a reference:

Unofficial TWRP Custom Recovery for Nexus 5
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
Hyphy wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2013 7:15 pm
works with a case on phone?
Yes worked with my Seidio Surface Case.
7309 posts
752 upvotes
Toronto
lifeisfuneh wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2013 5:31 pm
Thanks
They do give a discount on different items. I once ordered 3 different items and shipping came to $11.xx It was orginally $7-8 shipping on each item/
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3441 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
god. i keep wanting to buy the spigen armor but i can't get myself to pull the trigger. i really want the google case for some reason. so minimalistic!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
1946 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
I just wanted to ask about Spigen's screen protector from ebay/amazon vs. one from the official site.

3 Pack Spigen protector from ebay/amazon store is not only cheaper but comes in pack of 3. Also it is Crystal only, unlike Ultra Crystal from Official site.

My question is... other than clarity of the screen protector itself,,, are they exactly same type of film? or the 3-pack ones are like those cheap cheap sheet of plastic looking ones?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2009
4820 posts
1715 upvotes
PCDawg wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2013 9:03 pm
They do give a discount on different items. I once ordered 3 different items and shipping came to $11.xx It was orginally $7-8 shipping on each item/
Strange, since now you have to pay (buy now) for each item individually.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2013
1419 posts
463 upvotes
I did some comparison of the photos of these 2 cases:

RINGKE FUSION Premium Hybrid Hard Case Cover Eco Package
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RINGKE-FUSION-Go ... 0278900256

SPIGEN SGP Ultra Hybrid Case
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SPIGEN-SGP-Ultra ... 0275437826

They seem like extremely similar products, as if they are designed by the same company or one is closely copying the other.

I ended up ordering the Ringke case because in my opinion has a nicer look to it, with rounded edges and nicer button covers. The SGP is a better deal because it includes a screen protector but it seems to have a much clunkier look and the button covers are very boxy. I just couldn't get past the fact that the SGP looks very outdated, whereas the Ringke case looks more current to me.

Both are available with black edges or dark grey edges. I chose the case with black edges because it looks like the grey edges would not blend as well at the sides of the black glass screen. (I have a white 32GB on order... will likely have the case long before the phone itself... LOL!)

It came to $14.98 US ($16.10 CDN through Paypal) including shipping to Canada, so I am pretty happy with the price. PLUS 16 cents cashback through ebates.ca... Woohoo! :D
"I've saved so much money, I have practically MADE money!" :)