Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 5 Thread (FAQ/Accessories/Development/Order + Stock Updates)

Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
3182 posts
828 upvotes
GTA
Use coupon code 'RepeatBuyer' on the diztronic to get a bit off.
Comes out to $15.xx shipped.
Jun 4, 2010
202 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
Can the people who bought cases please post reviews when they receive them? I'm deciding between a few cases and have no clue currently.

Also, is there any wireless charging station available that can charge 2 devices at once? (A Nexus 5 and Nexus 7)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
631 upvotes
NORTH YORK
7:08 am Sunday (EST) ...Black 32 Gb available

Good luck guys

Daniel
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18266 posts
6345 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 7:08 am
7:08 am Sunday (EST) ...Black 32 Gb available

Good luck guys

Daniel
Lol, all models have been back "in stock" long ago. Take a close look at the estimated shipping date. All Google has done is allow people to order when they really don't have stock.
Jul 21, 2013
856 posts
66 upvotes
The case+shipping prices are pretty terrible compared to the US. There's nothing sub-$10.

I need a cheap case and screen pro before I get an aftermarket quick cover. Guess I'll just go to the flea market and get the Chinese ones. Hopefully vendors have them next weekend.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
149 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Every time I root a device I installed custom ROMs. With this, I want root but want to stick with the stock ROM for a while and still get OTA updates.

I'm hoping to root this first day, but afterwards, will I lose root with OTA updates?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2013
1419 posts
463 upvotes
Bisons wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 12:50 pm
Every time I root a device I installed custom ROMs. With this, I want root but want to stick with the stock ROM for a while and still get OTA updates.

I'm hoping to root this first day, but afterwards, will I lose root with OTA updates?
What does "rooting" a device mean?

Thanks
"I've saved so much money, I have practically MADE money!" :)
Jul 21, 2013
856 posts
66 upvotes
Bisons wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 12:50 pm

Unlock the bootloader and root. You're good.

I'm not 100% but ota removes root but boot loader stays unlocked. Easy to root it again.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1010 upvotes
Thornhill
amy2421 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks
Rooting a device allows you to access system privileges. This allows you to remove any system apps or change the behaviour of different apps. It also allows you to backup and restore apps so you don't have to go through this tedious process if you ever wipe your device.
Jun 15, 2011
39164 posts
5748 upvotes
King City
amy2421 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks
Simpler terms it allows the user administrator privileges. Think Admin access on Windows.

You can root your phone with stock ROM and get OTA but OTA will remove root access and you have to re-root again.

See my Nexus 4 thread on the first page for video instructions and guidelines. Or also www.techsideofemp.blogspot.com and under common Nexus guides for rooting stock ROM only.

I'll be posting vids similar for the Nexus 5.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jun 15, 2011
39164 posts
5748 upvotes
King City
Also having root access for the phone depends on when the devs root their phones and make it available for the N5. That is the folks at Chainfire. They're the ones who make the SuperSu.zip for rooting Nexus phones.

So they get the phone whenever and release it and viola. Takes a day or two. At the most three. Then you have wait for CWM or TWRP for custom recoveries of the phone. There's an unofficial version for TWRP on the N5 but no one has tested it yet fully.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
149 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Canuckavelli wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 12:54 pm
Unlock the bootloader and root. You're good.

I'm not 100% but ota removes root but boot loader stays unlocked. Easy to root it again.
Perfect.
Rooting this thing should be pretty easy. Hoping they have a good tool for it by the time we get it Wednesday.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1010 upvotes
Thornhill
Bisons wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 2:05 pm
Perfect.
Rooting this thing should be pretty easy. Hoping they have a good tool for it by the time we get it Wednesday.
I suggest using the step by step method rather than the tool kit (when it comes out) because you will know what's going on and have full control.