Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 5 Thread (FAQ/Accessories/Development/Order + Stock Updates)

Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18312 posts
6398 upvotes
Toronto
Bisons wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 12:50 pm
Every time I root a device I installed custom ROMs. With this, I want root but want to stick with the stock ROM for a while and still get OTA updates.

I'm hoping to root this first day, but afterwards, will I lose root with OTA updates?
Yes you will lose root following every OTA update which is a royal pain. Based on my personal experience, installing super user with the stock rom created a huge mess for me. I used a "temporary cwm" install to flash super user. That may have messed up the next OTA update. I ended up getting into a boot loop requiring manual flash of stock rom via fastboot to resolve. I am happy to wait for the community to provide a reasonably stable nightly a week or so after the factory code is released.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2068 posts
325 upvotes
MoonDoggy wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2013 9:11 pm
god. i keep wanting to buy the spigen armor but i can't get myself to pull the trigger. i really want the google case for some reason. so minimalistic!
I know what you mean. I'm fairly certain that Google's cases will be the best ones to have on the phone but there doesn't seem to be a availability date in sight. So now, I gotta wonder if I want to wait for it to come in stock, which could mean months and my phone is naked and unprotected, or if I should buy a good case in the interim. However, buying an interim case and then dropping $35.00 Google's case gets to the point where I'd be spending near $60 dollars on stupid phone cases -- it just gets a bit ridiculous.

Ugh, first world problems.
Oct 19, 2012
923 posts
89 upvotes
Brampton
For the people who want a review of the Ultra Hybrid Case, here it is.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2068 posts
325 upvotes
whiteshepherd wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 5:46 pm
Thanked, acting fast guys
Wow, that is an insane deal. For a SPIGEN case for $7.50 with a screen protector, it's the perfect temp case until the OEM cases from Google comes into stock. Nice find OP.
Jan 22, 2010
703 posts
71 upvotes
NARNIA!, jk Toronto
Some items are no longer available.

Getting OOS message.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2709 posts
329 upvotes
Newmarket
Zephyr22b wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2013 2:57 pm
Found some actual pics of the Spigen cases. I ordered a black slim armor one!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/11/02/googl ... rty-cases/

[IMG]http://mobilesyrup.com/wp-content/uploa ... xus5-6.jpg[/IMG]
my wife has one for her iphone 5 and it's very good quality. i've also had spigen cases for my note 2 and nexus 4.

went ahead and ordered the black slim armor.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4498 posts
185 upvotes
The Spigen Ultra Hybrid looks exactly like the Ringke Fusion case. I use the Ringke Fusion for my Nexus 4 and it has done real well. If for whatever reason I keep the Nexus 5 that's coming, I'm gonna go with the Ringke Fusion again perhaps.