Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 5 Thread (FAQ/Accessories/Development/Order + Stock Updates)

Jun 15, 2011
39206 posts
5764 upvotes
King City
Shaner wrote:
Dec 13th, 2013 10:00 pm
What texting apps are people using? I can't stand this hangouts one. It's terrible.
I still use the default Messaging app on my Nexus 4. I sideloaded that onto the Nexus 5 as well.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
721 posts
245 upvotes
Hamilton
Shaner wrote:
What texting apps are people using? I can't stand this hangouts one. It's terrible.
Textra. I would have gone with ChompSMS but Textra has better timestamps for now. You can swipe left and the timestamps of all messages will show up on the right. Swipe right to hide them again.
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
5645 posts
1305 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
8sms. No ads, weirdness and the portraits are kept to a minimum. Simple, clean, no added bloat.
[shortened links removed]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2005
1448 posts
42 upvotes
Is there anyone who ordered a N5 recently and got the new batch with better speakers and buttons?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4578 posts
629 upvotes
Spigen hybrid gets scratches easily. Spigen slim armor doesnt but the way its designed, when you wipe away dust, it goes into the case & is still very visible, drives me crazy. LG QuickCover is great but i splurged & finally happy with a case. Got 25% off + it was already discounted & free shipping, so $40 instead of $67 from google shipped
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
Finally gave up my HTC one to try the nexus 5...and I don't like it lol..

Not a fan of vanilla KitKat at all...the giant icons, hangouts, email isn't threaded, the barebones camera....also it isn't very nice to hold Maybe its just withdrawal lol
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5620 posts
3002 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
I'm using Handcent...seems ok so far. I like being able to reply directly from the pop-up notification. I'm sure other SMS apps have that ability too.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 7:18 am

Not a fan of vanilla KitKat at all...the giant icons, hangouts, email isn't threaded, the barebones camera....also it isn't very nice to hold Maybe its just withdrawal lol
but the N5 is ALOT faster than a HTC one..it's like night and day...I can't go back to using anything slower and not vanilla android..esp 4.4.2 with ART.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
149 upvotes
Burlington, ON
shaolinmonk wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 7:18 am

Luckily all those can be changed just with different applications, don't even need root.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 12:26 pm
but the N5 is ALOT faster than a HTC one..it's like night and day...I can't go back to using anything slower and not vanilla android..esp 4.4.2 with ART.
haven't played with ART yet... but don't see the Nexus being that much faster... i was using 4.4 kitkat sense on my old htc one.
Bisons wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 2:20 pm
Luckily all those can be changed just with different applications, don't even need root.
agreed... just trying to go "vanilla" for a while to see how i feel.

i think i might go back to a black htc one or a white lg g2 though lol.... still undecided
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 2:26 pm
haven't played with ART yet... but don't see the Nexus being that much faster... i was using 4.4 kitkat sense on my old htc one.
everything is just instant on the nexus vs a pause on the skinned versions (not as bad as ios lag though)..but then it's also cause I'm on ART and have animation at 0.5x lol
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 2:43 pm
everything is just instant on the nexus vs a pause on the skinned versions (not as bad as ios lag though)..but then it's also cause I'm on ART and have animation at 0.5x lol
IOS soooo much better then android soooooo smooth
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2709 posts
329 upvotes
Newmarket
gilboman wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 2:43 pm
shaolinmonk wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 3:04 pm

you guys are out of your minds

palm os on my treo destroys ios and android and windows
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 3:04 pm
Totally opposite of what I experience on my iPhone5 on ios7...launch an app and I have to wait before it actually launches wtf is that? Waiting? I think it's apple's way to mask the lag and performance issues (lackof) on their hardware by adding in the delay/animation before actually launching the app.

it's smart..esp to people who are tech challenged.