Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 5 Thread (FAQ/Accessories/Development/Order + Stock Updates)

Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10101 posts
4200 upvotes
Brampton
iOS has nothing on an N5 on ART when it comes to smoothness
Skinned interfaces like touchwiz give Android a bad name when it comes to smoothness.
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
5643 posts
1254 upvotes
ART is especially snappy if you take the base settings and reduce the animation times. Lighting quick; zippy is an understatement.
[shortened links removed]
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
Xeerochild wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 10:10 am
ART is especially snappy if you take the base settings and reduce the animation times. Lighting quick; zippy is an understatement.
+1... makes ios feel like it's in the special olympics
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
IOS 7 is ART!!! You guys are so clueless ask Jony...

On a serious note..I'm still using hangouts and it seriously sucks....even with ART enabled the app is a slow disaster

And the camera focus ability is still weak
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5390 posts
745 upvotes
Toronto
^
u use hangouts for txt messaging?
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 10:55 am
IOS 7 is ART!!! You guys are so clueless ask Jony...

On a serious note..I'm still using hangouts and it seriously sucks....even with ART enabled the app is a slow disaster

And the camera focus ability is still weak
???? IOS7 runs ios..how is it same as Android on ART?

take a breath and step away..you are beyond confused or had too much egg nog
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10101 posts
4200 upvotes
Brampton
gilboman wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 1:23 pm
???? IOS7 runs ios..how is it same as Android on ART?

take a breath and step away..you are beyond confused or had too much egg nog
Because in a way he's kinda right.

ART just precompiles everything so it's not compiled on run time to native code.

Apps on iOS are written in some form of one of the derivatives of C (I can't remember which it is right now). So the app you install and run on the iPhone are in native code.

That's partially the reason why iOS apps have been better than their other OS counterparts for years. Also the paradigm of how the application should be run. Android = in a VM in sandbox. iOS = app in a sandbox.

We're just at a point now where raw Computing power and optimization of silicon for how mobile phones/Android works is closing the gap between iOS and flagship Android devices.
Aug 4, 2007
461 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
HP_John wrote:
Dec 18th, 2013 5:08 am
Spigen hybrid gets scratches easily. Spigen slim armor doesnt but the way its designed, when you wipe away dust, it goes into the case & is still very visible, drives me crazy. LG QuickCover is great but i splurged & finally happy with a case. Got 25% off + it was already discounted & free shipping, so $40 instead of $67 from google shipped

How did you get the discount to pay only $40 shipped?

Thanks.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 1:33 pm

ART just precompiles everything so it's not compiled on run time to native code.

Apps on iOS are written in some form of one of the derivatives of C (I can't remember which it is right now). So the app you install and run on the iPhone are in native code.

That's partially the reason why iOS apps have been better than their other OS counterparts for years. Also the paradigm of how the application should be run. Android = in a VM in sandbox. iOS = app in a sandbox.

We're just at a point now where raw Computing power and optimization of silicon for how mobile phones/Android works is closing the gap between iOS and flagship Android devices.

Lol that's not what I meant but right on!!!!!! Take that gilbo!!!! Stop being an android zealot and relax a little

I was just saying ios7 is ARTSY fartsy
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10101 posts
4200 upvotes
Brampton
shaolinmonk wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 2:14 pm
Lol that's not what I meant but right on!!!!!! Take that gilbo!!!! Stop being an android zealot and relax a little

I was just saying ios7 is ARTSY fartsy
I had a feeling that's what you meant.

But to call iOS art would actually mean iOS7 did something to make iOS better. I'm a fan of the older steve jobs approach to the interface. There's no reason why tech needs to be clean and cold as opposed to warm and inviting.

Also yeh also to get Gilbo's engine running.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 1:33 pm

nobody ever said ios apps aren't pre compiled..just saying they are so slow compared to Android running ART.

so why is ios so much slower? is it the ridiculous lag/animation apple forces on users or hardware? or it's apple's way to mask their slower hardware by implementing the super slow lag/animation?