Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 5 Thread (FAQ/Accessories/Development/Order + Stock Updates)

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 2:14 pm
Lol that's not what I meant but right on!!!!!! Take that gilbo!!!! Stop being an android zealot and relax a little

I was just saying ios7 is ARTSY fartsy
huh? you are completely wrong just proven. you didn't say anything about precompiling... you said very wrongly that ios is ART. how can ios use android runtime? i knew about difference between Davlik and ART and how WP/ios precompiles..but i don't be idiotic and say WP/ios is ART because it can't be further from the truth. That's like saying I live in taj mahal because my house has marble as well lol

layoff the egg nog.

the comments were that Android running ART feels much much faster than ios. then you come in drunk and babble ios is ART..that is completely irrelevant and absurd and doesn't address anything being discussed.

how am i an android zealot? i prefer BB10 and wp over android and have stated that many times .. but fact is..ios is not ART unless I live in Tah Mahal as well
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 2:39 pm
huh? you are completely wrong just proven. you didn't say anything about precompiling... you said very wrongly that ios is ART. how can ios use android runtime? i knew about difference between Davlik and ART and how WP/ios precompiles..but i don't be idiotic and say WP/ios is ART because it can't be further from the truth. That's like saying I live in taj mahal because my house has marble as well lol

layoff the egg nog.

the comments were that Android running ART feels much much faster than ios. then you come in drunk and babble ios is ART..that is completely irrelevant and absurd and doesn't address anything being discussed.

how am i an android zealot? i prefer BB10 and wp over android and have stated that many times .. but fact is..ios is not ART unless I live in Tah Mahal as well
dude you still don't get it... as in IOS7 is a work of art..... sigh.. ...your blind hatred for IOS is clouding your ability to not sound crazy
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Feb 5, 2008
129 posts
7 upvotes
How is the battery life on the this phone? I'm hearing and reading mixed signals.

I have an iphone 5 right now and I want to get rid of the damn thing. I'm tired (iphone user since launch) of not having basic functionality (hello quick reply that every one has been asking for, for 7 *****ing years).

I'm looking at the G2 and this phone, but if the phone is comparable to the G2 then I'd rather have the Nexus.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2003
1131 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Earache wrote:
Dec 21st, 2013 12:42 am
How is the battery life on the this phone? I'm hearing and reading mixed signals.

I have an iphone 5 right now and I want to get rid of the damn thing. I'm tired (iphone user since launch) of not having basic functionality (hello quick reply that every one has been asking for, for 7 *****ing years).

I'm looking at the G2 and this phone, but if the phone is comparable to the G2 then I'd rather have the Nexus.
I'm looking at the 2 same phones. As a Nexus user it's nice to have stock updates quite quickly but I've heard the camera and battery life of the N5 lag far behind the G2.
My hesitation is that I've never used anything besides stock Android so I have no idea what I'm in for with LG's UI.
May 21, 2012
284 posts
123 upvotes
Markham
Do u guys think ill get a significant difference (performance n battery life) if I upgrade to N5 from a GS3?, I'm tempted bc of pure andriod, updates right away, plus my S3 overheats plus battery life isn't that great either. Also what storage size do most of u guys have 16 or 32?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2709 posts
329 upvotes
Newmarket
trashmouth12 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2013 3:33 am
I'm looking at the 2 same phones. As a Nexus user it's nice to have stock updates quite quickly but I've heard the camera and battery life of the N5 lag far behind the G2.
My hesitation is that I've never used anything besides stock Android so I have no idea what I'm in for with LG's UI.
after the 4.2.2 update hit, camera lag is now a non-issue. it's really good now.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5335 posts
1138 upvotes
GTA
soccerboy wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2013 4:05 pm
Accessories

Wireless Charger
LuguLake 6000mAh Qi - Enabled Inductive Wireless Charger Charging Pad $79.99 (Free Shipping) (5-8 Business Days Shipping)
Anker® Qi-Enabled Single-Position Wireless Charger Charging Pad - White (AC Adapter Not Included but Micro USB Cable) - $43.99 (Free Shipping) (US Only)
Regards to the original post, I found two feasible alternatives
$8.33 http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/1000 ... sb-charger
$20.74 http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/1000 ... ss-charger

I am thinking about this one, so it's one less task to do for grabbing the car.
$43.34 http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/1000 ... r-w-holder

I would assume the main benefit is it's more convenient and preserve the life of the microUSB connector, it wouldn't necessarily charge faster, would it?

The battery life on N5 is really getting to me. I was doing a short 10 minutes film clip for my friends the battery went from 50% to merely nothing. Either I have to charge it everywhere I go, or, get a expanded battery, but then the wireless charging won't work anymore.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4581 posts
634 upvotes
-=PASHA=- wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 2:08 pm
How did you get the discount to pay only $40 shipped?

Thanks.
Cyber Monday on shopandroid.com, was on sale & they took another 25% off
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
5645 posts
1305 upvotes
Xeerochild wrote:
Dec 10th, 2013 5:16 pm
I usually leave on my phone overnight and only lose about 5-10% of charge. After upgrading to 4.4.2, my phone lost 30% and completely died. Here's what it looked like:

AndroidOS seems to eat almost 40%+ of it, but I'm not sure why. Anyone have any issues?
It seems to have happened again last night. Drained down nearly 30% over 9-10 hours, with Android OS taking up almost 50% of the usage.
[shortened links removed]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
149 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Xeerochild wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 12:09 pm
It seems to have happened again last night. Drained down nearly 30% over 9-10 hours, with Android OS taking up almost 50% of the usage.
Are you on the stock ROM? And have you rebooted recently?
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
5645 posts
1305 upvotes
Bisons wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 12:40 pm
Are you on the stock ROM? And have you rebooted recently?
Stock, yes. I turned my phone off Friday night to Saturday morning and it's been on since.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
149 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Xeerochild wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 12:49 pm
Stock, yes. I turned my phone off Friday night to Saturday morning and it's been on since.
Once in a while I get a bad drain like that and a reboot usually does the trick. But most of the time I'm getting great standby time.
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
5645 posts
1305 upvotes
Bisons wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2013 10:36 pm
Once in a while I get a bad drain like that and a reboot usually does the trick. But most of the time I'm getting great standby time.
That's the same for me as well. It seems like for every 2 weeks of usage, I'll have one really bad drain. Other than that, the battery life has been fine for me. It's not as great as other devices but it gets me through the day.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
1477 posts
34 upvotes
GTA
I put in the old SIM card from my iPhone 4. It seems to work, but when I check the network it says HSPA. Do I need to buy a new microSIM to get LTE?