Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 5 Thread (FAQ/Accessories/Development/Order + Stock Updates)

Oct 30, 2012
961 posts
261 upvotes
Hamilton
In order to get LTE you need LTE Micro sim so if yours isn't than you have to get new one
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2005
1448 posts
42 upvotes
Anyone know if there's a button to close all apps instead of individually swiping them?
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1682 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
_Jason_ wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 3:20 am
Anyone know if there's a button to close all apps instead of individually swiping them?
installing a custom rom would do the trick. not sure for stock.
Nov 12, 2013
175 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
You can if you root and use Xposed Installer to add the close all apps button.
Jul 10, 2006
394 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
Received this Metrans Qi charger two days ago: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-Met ... 90370.html

Highly recommended.

Size: a bit on the small side, but phone balances on it well. Unit has a rubber foot to keep from slipping.

Charging: there is minimal heating when charging (in my case Nexus 5 was at 70%). Was able to charge up the Nexus 5 very quickly (I would say as quick as being charged using only the original Nexus 5 USB plug+cable. About 2x as fast compared to not using the Qi and plugging only into my laptop which supplies only 500mA).

Top-up: this is the most important. The charger keeps the Nexus 5 topped up to 100% even overnight. I had a power monitor which shows that during an 8 hour period that the Nexus 5 was fully charged and not used, the Nexus 5 was being topped up for only 48 seconds -- this means there is very little strain on the battery due to the top-up.

Positioning: unit has to be within about 2cm of the center location of the Nexus 5 in order to charge

Nexus 5 covers: works well even with a rubber cover on the Nexus 5
Deal Addict
May 26, 2008
1266 posts
377 upvotes
Thornhill
alltechinside wrote:
Dec 31st, 2013 12:29 am
You can if you root and use Xposed Installer to add the close all apps button.
I would do this as well, just root the device and no need for a custom rom. Just install Xposed Installer and get that feature. And keep everything as stock.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1532 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
How's the surface? Is it rubber? I'm looking for one that doesn't slip easily. It will be for in car use.
pocket1 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2014 12:36 pm
Received this Metrans Qi charger two days ago: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-Met ... 90370.html

Highly recommended.

Size: a bit on the small side, but phone balances on it well. Unit has a rubber foot to keep from slipping.

Charging: there is minimal heating when charging (in my case Nexus 5 was at 70%). Was able to charge up the Nexus 5 very quickly (I would say as quick as being charged using only the original Nexus 5 USB plug+cable. About 2x as fast compared to not using the Qi and plugging only into my laptop which supplies only 500mA).

Top-up: this is the most important. The charger keeps the Nexus 5 topped up to 100% even overnight. I had a power monitor which shows that during an 8 hour period that the Nexus 5 was fully charged and not used, the Nexus 5 was being topped up for only 48 seconds -- this means there is very little strain on the battery due to the top-up.

Positioning: unit has to be within about 2cm of the center location of the Nexus 5 in order to charge

Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8000 posts
536 upvotes
Scarborough
+1

I have been saying this is a good charger. footballboy and other RFDers said this thing will burn down their house lol

I have two of these and I personally think this is better than LG WCP300 (the annoying LED stays on).
pocket1 wrote:
Highly recommended.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8000 posts
536 upvotes
Scarborough
A thick rubber ring vs 4 small rubber feet on LG WCP300.
hOrnizuka wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2014 4:14 pm
How's the surface? Is it rubber? I'm looking for one that doesn't slip easily. It will be for in car use.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1532 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
lol i guess i could always buy some silicone rings from homedepot. =)

How long does it take to ship from aliexpress.com ? I see that dx.com have the same one as well.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45205 posts
3673 upvotes
Toronto
pocket1 wrote:

Highly recommended.

Do you by any chance have a spigen case? I'd like to confirm it works with a spigen case before buying because the return policy is basically non existent buying from Asia.

Thx
Jul 10, 2006
394 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
>How's the surface? Is it rubber? I'm looking for one that doesn't slip easily. It will be for in car use.
The surface is hard smooth plastic (bottom has a rubber ring). But you can always put some rubber stickers on top.

>How long does it take to ship from aliexpress.com ? I see that dx.com have the same one as well.
Took 5 weeks. Probably faster now that the Christmas shopping season is over.

>Do you by any chance have a spigen case? I'd like to confirm it works with a spigen case before buying because the return policy is basically non existent buying from Asia.
No, I am using a cheaper case from Fosmon. It's made of 1mm thick rubber. Hopefully the plastic Spigen case does not have any metal particles in it.

Anyone had experience with cheaper chargers? This on here is only half the price of what I got! http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... =250669098

Also:
-the unit does not beep
-there is an LED light that flashes only when Nexus 5 is on the charging pad
-nexus 5 has an annoying "beep" when initially placed on the pad. Can't seem to find a way in 'settings' to turn it off.
Aug 21, 2006
105 posts
7 upvotes
Are there any brick and mortar stores in the Toronto area where you can buy the Nexus 5 at no greater cost than from Google Play?
Apr 8, 2009
692 posts
20 upvotes
leer wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2014 10:59 am
Are there any brick and mortar stores in the Toronto area where you can buy the Nexus 5 at no greater cost than from Google Play?
I don't think so.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3335 posts
537 upvotes
GTA
Interested in picking up a Neo Hybrid case by Spigen. Those who have it, how has it been holding up over the past month or so? Any issues?