Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 5 Thread (FAQ/Accessories/Development/Order + Stock Updates)

Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: I made up my mind and I'm going to upgrade from the Nexus 4 to the Nexus 5.

First thing I want to ask is how's the official Nexus wireless charger? Does it keep the phone charged up at 100% even after it's fully charged? Is the Play Store the only place to buy the wireless charger?

Any recommendations for a good value case and screen protector? I'm looking for something similar to the Incipio Feather. I am also interested in a bumper case if there's a decent value one. I'm definitely not going to buy cases from the Play Store.
I went for the fancy screen protector which is the Nillkin tempered glass @ $13 CAD.. Definitely worth it IMO if you're willing to spend that much.. Better than paying $30 for Spigen's tempered glass edition.. One downfall is that it takes 2-3 weeks to arrive from HK/China. The feel and look on it is so nice, it's like the screen protector is not even there!
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1868 posts
493 upvotes
TORONTO
Anyone have a problem where you put the brightness all the way down and theres still a portion on the screen (bottom right) where theres a faint light coming out, this is my 3rd phone that I went through with google already
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
zakregent wrote: Anyone have a problem where you put the brightness all the way down and theres still a portion on the screen (bottom right) where theres a faint light coming out, this is my 3rd phone that I went through with google already
Backlight bleed? If yes then then i think that's normal.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
3137 posts
466 upvotes
5 month report - no screen protector - mint screen - hnnng dat gorilla glass
lol @ you guys putting on screen protectors
bye
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
First thing I want to ask is how's the official Nexus wireless charger? Does it keep the phone charged up at 100% even after it's fully charged? Is the Play Store the only place to buy the wireless charger?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
zakregent wrote: Anyone have a problem where you put the brightness all the way down and theres still a portion on the screen (bottom right) where theres a faint light coming out, this is my 3rd phone that I went through with google already
With brightness all the way down no perron of the backlight ever shuts off. So there is light everywhere
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Huh?
Mar 17, 2014
205 posts
47 upvotes
I dropped my phone with a glass protected, and the protector shattered. This was from a height where people have reported their screens breaking. I don't know for sure but I'm not the only one who has an anecdotal story of a glass screen protector working as sacrificial protection in situations which would kill a 'naked' screen.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
r06mtl wrote: I dropped my phone with a glass protected, and the protector shattered. This was from a height where people have reported their screens breaking. I don't know for sure but I'm not the only one who has an anecdotal story of a glass screen protector working as sacrificial protection in situations which would kill a 'naked' screen.
Which glass protector?
Feb 1, 2005
102 posts
35 upvotes
Richmond
Sgt_Strider wrote: First thing I want to ask is how's the official Nexus wireless charger? Does it keep the phone charged up at 100% even after it's fully charged?
I have the official Nexus charger. Seems to be working fine. It does keep my phone at 100% overnight. The only concern I have so far is that the phone heats up quite a bit while it is charging wirelessly. When it reaches a certain temperature (around 42-43 degrees) it throttles the charge rate to keep the temperature under control.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4669 posts
752 upvotes
Scarborough
r06mtl wrote: I dropped my phone with a glass protected, and the protector shattered. This was from a height where people have reported their screens breaking. I don't know for sure but I'm not the only one who has an anecdotal story of a glass screen protector working as sacrificial protection in situations which would kill a 'naked' screen.
Jimboski wrote: Which glass protector?
How did it land? I would think landing on the edges would still cause so actual glass breakage regardless of the screen protector?
Glass/plastic etc screen protectors only really help if the impact is straight against the screen vs against teh bezel? At least that's my theory...
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
that's pretty dope. black for sure!!
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4669 posts
752 upvotes
Scarborough
goofball wrote: Nexus 5 Slim Armor with black carbon fiber and white carbon fiber applied to the polycarbonate back. Not sure which I like better. The white is very noticeable, vs the black which is subtle

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/2s9a91s.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/2mzbedw.jpg[/IMG]
I posted somewhere before, I'd get the black version, HOWEVER, if I were to get the slim armor VIEW I'd get the white version cause of it's Stormtrooper-like appearance :)
Deal Addict
May 26, 2008
1266 posts
377 upvotes
Thornhill
I was actually in the market for a new charger for the Q8 Qi wireless charger I ordered from Ali express. Really didn't want to fork out 24 bucks for the OEM charger from Google as above.

Instead I am going with this one

BlackBerry Original Genuine 1.8 Amp Micro USB Folding Blade Travel Charger

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SL500_.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
pnyknights wrote: I posted somewhere before, I'd get the black version, HOWEVER, if I were to get the slim armor VIEW I'd get the white version cause of it's Stormtrooper-like appearance :)
you say storm trooper, some say panda, some say skunk.. i say cow.

get it for the cow-like appearance.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2008
1266 posts
377 upvotes
Thornhill
Hyphy wrote: 5 month report - no screen protector - mint screen - hnnng dat gorilla glass
lol @ you guys putting on screen protectors
bye
+1 same here
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4669 posts
752 upvotes
Scarborough
jimmy-j wrote: you say storm trooper, some say panda, some say skunk.. i say cow.

get it for the cow-like appearance.
Storm tropper panda...oh the epicness :cheesygri