Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 5 Thread (FAQ/Accessories/Development/Order + Stock Updates)

Banned
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
I keep getting "Sim card inserted - you must reboot" and "No network" messages. Most unreliable phone I have ever owned, and RF performance sucks. I am going back to my iPhone 4S.
Jun 15, 2011
39206 posts
5764 upvotes
King City
Anonymouse wrote:
Feb 9th, 2014 8:44 pm
I keep getting "Sim card inserted - you must reboot" and "No network" messages. Most unreliable phone I have ever owned, and RF performance sucks. I am going back to my iPhone 4S.
Have you tried performing a factory reset? Just don't give up if you can't fix it... Any how... More for us :D . Enjoy your iPhone 4S hehe.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Dec 12, 2009
18297 posts
6389 upvotes
Toronto
Anonymouse wrote:
user error.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10177 posts
4298 upvotes
Brampton
Anonymouse wrote:
Sounds like a straight defect. Either return or exchange it. My N5 has way better than my old 4S ever did. And defects happen my old 4 kept showing 'No SIM inserted' or I had to hard boot/airplane mode to get reception.
Only thing is with apple you can walk in to a store and get it sorted out in 1 hour.
Banned
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Feb 9th, 2014 9:48 pm
Have you tried performing a factory reset? Just don't give up if you can't fix it... Any how... More for us :D . Enjoy your iPhone 4S hehe.
I have not tried a factory reset, but the phone first started dropping the network about 2 days after I got it, and I hadn't installed anything on it.

My iPhone 4S battery still lasts 2 days (twice as long as the N5, brand new), and I get reasonably good reception in my office at work with it. WIth the N5, sometimes I get a signal, sometimes not. On these 2 points, the 4S is a better phone, at least for me.
tebore wrote:
Feb 10th, 2014 7:23 am
Sounds like a straight defect. Either return or exchange it. My N5 has way better than my old 4S ever did. And defects happen my old 4 kept showing 'No SIM inserted' or I had to hard boot/airplane mode to get reception.
That is exactly what mine is doing. I pull it out of my pocket and it says "Emergency calls only" or "SIM card inserted - you must reboot." Obviously, I get no texts or calls when it is in this state. I have to hard reboot it.

I called Google and they are demanding that I replace the SIM card before they do anything. But basically this Rogers SIM card worked for years in my 4S, and it still works flawlessly in my 4S. I am continuing to pursue an exchange with Google.
Sep 19, 2007
4 posts
Anonymouse wrote:
Feb 10th, 2014 9:22 am
I have not tried a factory reset, but the phone first started dropping the network about 2 days after I got it, and I hadn't installed anything on it.

My iPhone 4S battery still lasts 2 days (twice as long as the N5, brand new), and I get reasonably good reception in my office at work with it. WIth the N5, sometimes I get a signal, sometimes not. On these 2 points, the 4S is a better phone, at least for me.

That is exactly what mine is doing. I pull it out of my pocket and it says "Emergency calls only" or "SIM card inserted - you must reboot." Obviously, I get no texts or calls when it is in this state. I have to hard reboot it.

I called Google and they are demanding that I replace the SIM card before they do anything. But basically this Rogers SIM card worked for years in my 4S, and it still works flawlessly in my 4S. I am continuing to pursue an exchange with Google.
It might work better with a LTE sim card.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10177 posts
4298 upvotes
Brampton
Anonymouse wrote:
Feb 10th, 2014 9:22 am

That's a defect I'd push hard to get them to replace the phone. The N5 battery's life is directly related to reception. If the reception sucks or have problems like yours that'll drain the battery in no time.
My N5 destroys my 4S in everything. I had both for nearly a month to make sure I wouldn't regret moving from Apple. I did the same when I got a GS3. The GS3 is a sad excuse for a premium smart phone compared to the 4S so I went back. I had a iP5 for a while too and it too wasn't up to par with the build of the 4s and reception/battery sucked. Throwing on iOS7 on any device other than a 5s is a terrible afterthought. The 5S is quick and snappy but there's no innovation compared to Apple in their prime, it doesn't warrant the price tag at all.

I'd give the N5 another try once you get a working one tho.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1520 posts
474 upvotes
Edmonton
Been 3 weeks, 2 Reps dealling with it, Heard nothing back. UPS doesn't know what's up.

Just called again, Google going to refund my money back.
Sep 4, 2007
853 posts
255 upvotes
I want to buy the Nexus 5 but not sure if I should wait until a price drop or not? I'm not familiar with how the phone market works, when is the expected period of the price to drop? I don't NEED a new phone per say and can wait a month or two but I am using the original Galaxy S ...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6023 posts
575 upvotes
SW Ontario
LyGuy wrote:
Feb 11th, 2014 8:29 am
I want to buy the Nexus 5 but not sure if I should wait until a price drop or not? I'm not familiar with how the phone market works, when is the expected period of the price to drop? I don't NEED a new phone per say and can wait a month or two but I am using the original Galaxy S ...
Do you think it's likely to see a price drop on this phone in the near future (or at all?) given they are still sold out sometimes on some versions.
Sep 4, 2007
853 posts
255 upvotes
I don't know you tell me cause you just asked the same question I asked.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6023 posts
575 upvotes
SW Ontario
LyGuy wrote:
Feb 11th, 2014 10:41 am
I don't know you tell me cause you just asked the same question I asked.
So I did. I read it too fast and skipped over where you asked what the expected time period is. I thought you were posting because they typically do a price drop.

I tried to find some pricing history for buying google phones outright to see if there was a trend but I couldn't find the info.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10177 posts
4298 upvotes
Brampton
The first price drop if any will probably happen after the Nexus 10 / 8 Launch. Which will be around 6 months after launch of the N5. So maybe in May or June.
Banned
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
bscout wrote:
Feb 10th, 2014 11:20 am
It might work better with a LTE sim card.
Went to a (non corporate) Rogers store today to see about an LTE sim card. They said they could not sell me one as their system would not allow them to associate the new LTE card with a non-Rogers phone. It seemed ridiculous to me, and I spent 15 minutes arguing with the manager, but no joy.

They changed some settings on my phone to make it use 4G (whatever that is, I think it is a marketing term rather than a technical term). I hope it helps.