Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 5 Thread (FAQ/Accessories/Development/Order + Stock Updates)

Aug 15, 2012
339 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga
Menace wrote:
Aug 25th, 2014 8:06 am
Nexus X (aka Nexus 6) will be released before or after Halloween, according the latest Android Authority today.
Link please. And they're all rumors anyway. Yes, a new Nexus device will probably be released this year but I don't understand why WIND would stop selling the Nexus 5 two months before the supposed release date of the Nexus 6/whatever it'll be called.
Banned
Aug 9, 2014
1239 posts
400 upvotes
sk2003 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2014 2:15 pm
Link please. And they're all rumors anyway. Yes, a new Nexus device will probably be released this year but I don't understand why WIND would stop selling the Nexus 5 two months before the supposed release date of the Nexus 6/whatever it'll be called.
why would they sell it when there's no incentive to get the Nexus 5. Their tab doesn't make sense.

It's much cheaper to buy it outright and get the BYOP discount.
May 15, 2012
100 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
I wonder if there'll be a price drop on the N5 like there was with the N4. Last year, before the iPhone 5C (which turned out to be a dud) came out, rumors were swirling that Apple would contribute to the crowding "budget" phone market. I think that may have contributed to the N4 price drop last year, in addition to there being leftover stock that was losing its value in the wake of a N5 release.

Will Google have enough incentive to drop the N5 price this year as well? And by how much...
Nov 29, 2008
664 posts
71 upvotes
Markham
You do realise most Nexus 5 versions on the CDN Google Play store is OOS, right?
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
ottoyu34 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2014 9:11 am
You do realise most Nexus 5 versions on the CDN Google Play store is OOS, right?
only red 16 gb is oos
Banned
Aug 9, 2014
1239 posts
400 upvotes
ottoyu34 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2014 9:11 am
no, I do not realize that. Can you show me?
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10738 posts
648 upvotes
Scarborough
Quick question. Got a Koodo Nexus 5 (should be unlocked) even though I am with Rogers. In terms of OTA updates, does it matter what carrier I am on?

I currently have a Galaxy Nexus that I know had to receive specific OTA updates from the carriers. I don't know if this applies since the Nexus 5 is universally compatible.

And does anyone know where i can pickup a screen protector for immediate usage in Downtown Toronto at a reasonable price?
May 15, 2012
100 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
thechampion116 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2014 11:45 pm
Quick question. Got a Koodo Nexus 5 (should be unlocked) even though I am with Rogers. In terms of OTA updates, does it matter what carrier I am on?

I currently have a Galaxy Nexus that I know had to receive specific OTA updates from the carriers. I don't know if this applies since the Nexus 5 is universally compatible.

And does anyone know where i can pickup a screen protector for immediate usage in Downtown Toronto at a reasonable price?
Apart from a specific variant of the GNex, ALL Nexus devices are FACTORY UNLOCKED. Regardless of where you get them. You will get OTA updates no problem.

(As for your other question, since I don't live in TO I wouldn't be able to say)
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10738 posts
648 upvotes
Scarborough
Ambient13 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2014 2:57 am
Apart from a specific variant of the GNex, ALL Nexus devices are FACTORY UNLOCKED. Regardless of where you get them. You will get OTA updates no problem.

(As for your other question, since I don't live in TO I wouldn't be able to say)
Thanks. Its updating to 4.4.4 right now.

Was able to get a $5 matte screen protector (includes install) at the China Town Dollar Mart on the corner of Spadina and Dundas. A bit pricey since the screen protectors are available online but needed it asap.