Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13263 posts
2605 upvotes
Pacific Ocean

Official iPhone 12 discussion thread

Ok, did a search and no iPhone 12 official thread yet.... thought to set this up.

Apple leaker Ming Chi Kuo said coupla days ago the new iphone 12 will NOT include a charger... at all. WTF?? IF true.. this could wreak havoc in the industry. As we all know apple is the trend setter in cell fones. If apple does this you can be sure android devices will follow. More profit mongering.. You are spending $1500 cad for the top model and now you have to spend another $30-40 more for the lame charger. All this will do is jack up the 3rd party market like anker, ravpower, and others. Barclay analysts say they will include the cable only - lightning to usb-c adapter - thereby implicitly forcing peeps to buy the new 20W charger. How pathetic. Save up your old bricks guys... Apparently the extra 10 cents cost for including a charger is hurting their grandiose profit margins when they roll out 5G tech. *cough*

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/28/ku ... 0MacRumors.

Sunday June 28, 2020 7:56 am PDT by Joe Rossignol
iPhone 12 models will not include EarPods or a power adapter in the box, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today in a research note obtained by MacRumors. This lines up with a prediction shared by analysts at Barclays earlier this week.

Kuo said that Apple will instead release a new 20W power adapter as an optional accessory for iPhones and end production of its existing 5W and 18W power adapters later this year. The form factor of the new 20W power adapter is said to be similar to the 18W version, with USB-C Power Delivery for fast charging, as seen in the leaked photo below.

Kuo believes that iPhone 12 production costs will significantly increase due to 5G support, but he expects Apple to sell the new models at a comparable price to its iPhone 11 lineup, and removing the EarPods and power adapter from the box is one way to reduce costs. Apple would likely also tout the environmental benefits of such a move.

Barclays still expects Apple to include a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box as the only accessory included with iPhone 12 models.

Kuo also expects that Apple will stop including a 5W power adapter with the second-generation iPhone SE later this year, but he said that a 12W power adapter will continue to be included with current generations of the 10.2-inch iPad, iPad Air, and iPad mini.
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 22nd, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated title
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Thread Summary
iphone 12 Mini 5.4" screen
64GB $979 CAD
128GB $1049 CAD
256GB $1189 CAD

iphone 12 6.1" screen
64GB $1129 CAD
128GB $1199 CAD
256GB $1339 CAD

iphone 12 Pro 6.1" Screen
128GB $1399 CAD
256GB $1539 CAD
512GB $1809 CAD

iphone 12 Pro Max 6.7" Screen
128GB $1549 CAD
256GB $1689 CAD
512GB $1959 CAD

Iphone 12 and 12 Pro
Pre order Oct. 16
Available Oct. 23

Iphone 12 Pro Max and 12 Mini
Pre order Nov. 06
Available Nov. 13

iphone-12-thread-2386584/5/#p33269144
793 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2014
1311 posts
3896 upvotes
Toronto
No charger included with the next iPhones if true sure is dumb and backwards.

That's like selling a car without wheels.

Either way, that smaller 5.4" iPhone 12 will be mine, day one. Never bought a phone day one but since Apple is finally delivering a proper smaller phone, I will pull the trigger. My current OG iPhone SE will then become a dedicated iPod.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13263 posts
2605 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
^^^
YUP. The iPhone 13 will be sold without a box --> that's an extra dollar on top of the extra 5 cents for the bag to carry everything home. It's all for "saving the environment" and not --> Shhhh... shareholders.

:twisted: Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes :rolleyes: :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13263 posts
2605 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
iPhone 12 lineup according to leaks thus far ($US pricing).

The majority will buy the 128Gb models. Only reason people were forced to upgrade to 256GB was the lack of a tweener model - the 128GB from the basic 64GB. Looks like I'm in for the iPhone 12 Pro, 128GB. $999usd.

Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2143 posts
1209 upvotes
Calgary
I’m fine with it as I have enough charging bricks anyways. Might have been a good idea to transition this over a few years as not everyone will have a USB-C charging brick right now, but people are going to make this seem like a bigger deal than it really is. (Unpopular opinion)
Jan 19, 2018
880 posts
605 upvotes
My iPhone 7 is on its last legs. I'm set on the iPhone 12 Pro (probably 128GB) regardless of whether it comes with a charger or not. But it would definitely irk me if Apple removed the charger as a default accessory.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13263 posts
2605 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Devhux wrote: I’m fine with it as I have enough charging bricks anyways. Might have been a good idea to transition this over a few years as not everyone will have a USB-C charging brick right now, but people are going to make this seem like a bigger deal than it really is. (Unpopular opinion)
Right. What they cuda done was include the lighting cable with the basic 18W charger. Offer faster speed usb-c cable and charger as an option to upgrade. Then the following year do the discontinuation. Market wud respond better to that.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2007
1578 posts
490 upvotes
If it's not a fast charger I prefer they skip the charger myself. Haven't used my iPhone charger for 2+ generations now. It just sits in the box along with the earpods they come with.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13263 posts
2605 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18494 posts
2273 upvotes
Woodbridge
aznnorth wrote:
This is why MKBHD is the best. I just finished watching it.

Like many I had a WTF is Apple doing, shows how greedy they are, etc. I use my Samsung Fast Wireless Charger and pretty much gave away those useless 5W chargers and the earbuds I only on emergencies. My only concern is I do hope they drop price even if it's only $20, I'll take it.

It also makes sense if they drop the ports all together next year.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14578 posts
5788 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah, I have some PD chargers, so those 5/10/12W chargers aren't useful.

If they don't include 20W, it's typical Apple mentality to try to get away with this. People will cry and whine but then it becomes industry norm because other vendors will start doing it too.

Apple never leaves money on the table unless there's a huge outcry. Like the USB-C cables, they reduced the price initially when they switched over to USB-C for a period, but then it went back to regular price.

This just means there is more business for the likes of Anker.....which I'm sure they are licking their lips at this rumor. Anker even sells officially on the Apple store https://www.apple.com/ca/search/anker?src=globalnav so they will likely see an uptick in business.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2143 posts
1209 upvotes
Calgary
aznnorth wrote:
I actually liked how he compared it to buying a DSLR with body only. That said, he missed the point that it appears it’s just the charging block that is being removed, so you could still charge it by plugging into a PC or Mac if you didn’t know that it didn’t have a charger included and didn’t have another at home.

I still think this is being blown way out of proportion and is just giving people another reason to whine about Apple. It’s also amusing to see the trolls come up with “iPhone 15 comes with no screen” and BS like that.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1295 posts
72 upvotes
Montreal
Devhux wrote: I actually liked how he compared it to buying a DSLR with body only. That said, he missed the point that it appears it’s just the charging block that is being removed, so you could still charge it by plugging into a PC or Mac if you didn’t know that it didn’t have a charger included and didn’t have another at home.

I still think this is being blown way out of proportion and is just giving people another reason to whine about Apple. It’s also amusing to see the trolls come up with “iPhone 15 comes with no screen” and BS like that.
After seing that video, I actually think it might not be such a bad idea.

I've been an Android user since 2012 but I might be tempted to switch back with the iPhone 12. It would really suck to pay for a charger after spending all that money but if they at least keep the cable I could re-used at least at the beginning my current charger until I sell my S8.

I'm also with Marques on this that within a couple of years, the others Android manufacturer will follow.
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
753 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: Apple leaker Ming Chi Kuo said coupla days ago the new iphone 12 will NOT include a charger... at all. WTF?? IF true.. this could wreak havoc in the industry. As we all know apple is the trend setter in cell fones. If apple does this you can be sure android devices will follow. More profit mongering.. You are spending $1500 cad for the top model and now you have to spend another $30-40 more for the lame charger. All this will do is jack up the 3rd party market like anker, ravpower, and others. Barclay analysts say they will include the cable only - lightning to usb-c adapter - thereby implicitly forcing peeps to buy the new 20W charger. How pathetic. Save up your old bricks guys... Apparently the extra 10 cents cost for including a charger is hurting their grandiose profit margins when they roll out 5G tech. *cough*
aznnorth wrote:
The OP is really stepping on their own FUD by posting this rational analysis of the rumour.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13263 posts
2605 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
goodking wrote: The OP is really stepping on their own FUD by posting this rational analysis of the rumour.
Lol, hardly NOT. All MKBHD did is providing his perspective of something that maybe true. Exactly what I did.. or mac rumors did to be specific. And MK is not the first to say this. Lew Later (Unbox Therapy) had this few days before and he's a pro android dude. That apple will use the environmental excuse to make the case for higher net profit margins in the next iphone 12 presentation. Besides, Ming Chi Kuo is more accurate than MK and every1 else about apple since it's pretty much known he gets his info from insiders at apple. In fact many believe apple leaks info to Ming Chi just to see how the market reacts and decides whether to implement a product strategy or not. Bottom line the vast majority will not have a few bricks lying around and will see this as an annoying PITA not to see a charger in the box. Why? Most peeps have one iphone. When they upgrade they SELL the older iphone with the cable and charger to the new owner. Thus leaving them with the current charger in hand. No matter what excuse apple uses, peeps will still have to buy a new charger whether from apple or 3rd parties, if true.
Aug 11, 2018
857 posts
713 upvotes
i mean, i can see why.. i rarely use the new charger that comes with my iPhone. i got a wireless charger now that's set up beside my bed.
Oct 24, 2017
290 posts
603 upvotes
My guess is Apple will sell the iPhone like they sell the Watch, where the Watch comes by itself and you choose the Band that goes with it.

It’ll be just the iPhone in a box, and it’ll be up to you if you want the cable/wall charger combo with it.

I’d be okay with this route, since I have so many wall chargers and cables kicking around.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21391 posts
2625 upvotes
Toronto
if Apple passes on the savings from not having the charger & earpods & less packaging, less transportation costs etc onto the consumer and lowers the price of the iphone - I'm ok with it....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
753 upvotes
canada5dollarbill wrote: My guess is Apple will sell the iPhone like they sell the Watch, where the Watch comes by itself and you choose the Band that goes with it.

It’ll be just the iPhone in a box, and it’ll be up to you if you want the cable/wall charger combo with it.

I’d be okay with this route, since I have so many wall chargers and cables kicking around.
As it stands, customers are required to buy the 5W wall charger and USB-A cable as part of their standard iPhone package.

However, there are now more options than five years ago:

5W Wall Charger
18W Wall Fast Charger
Wireless Charging Pads / Stands
Lightning Dock
USB-A to Lightning Cable (0.5m / 1m / 2m)
USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m / 2m)
☐ None of the above (for those who have a whole drawer full already)

I agree with canada5dollarbill that it would make more sense for Apple to present this as a menu for customers to pick and choose from after selecting a new iPhone.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13263 posts
2605 upvotes
Pacific Ocean