Real Estate

The Official Mortgage Rates Thread

Newbie
Jan 2, 2017
22 posts
Hi guys,

Looking on info on the best -5-years fixed rates I could get on my first house purchase in QC.
My broker gave me 3.59%.

- House price: 610k
- Down payment: 150k (>20%)
- Annual income (S.O and me) : 150k
- Credit score :>730 for both
- No existing credit

My broker told me that if we were to put less than 20% we could get 3.40-3.44%.

Is 3.59 for my situation good enough?

Sorry if I forgot any info.

Thanks!
Newbie
Feb 12, 2019
2 posts
Hello,

Looking for the best rates available. Lower penalties preferable in case of house sale in a year.

Original loan amount: $165,000 BMO Readline
Home value: ~ $400,000
Mortgage owing: $65,000
HELOC: $50,000
Owner occupied
Income: $47,500
No insurance
Renewal: April 2019
Location: Montreal

Thank you
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2011
5522 posts
2430 upvotes
Toronto
Deadou wrote: Hi guys,

Looking on info on the best -5-years fixed rates I could get on my first house purchase in QC.
My broker gave me 3.59%.

- House price: 610k
- Down payment: 150k (>20%)
- Annual income (S.O and me) : 150k
- Credit score :>730 for both
- No existing credit

My broker told me that if we were to put less than 20% we could get 3.40-3.44%.

Is 3.59 for my situation good enough?

Sorry if I forgot any info.

Thanks!
Lowest 5 year fixed for your situation is 3.44%. No need to put down less than 20% to get a better rate. It NEVER makes sense to pay a CMHC fee, just to get a lower rate. Difference would have to be 0.75% just to break even...and you'll never see THAT large of a difference between the two options.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
(lic. 10532)
Newbie
Jan 2, 2017
22 posts
PaulMeredith wrote: Lowest 5 year fixed for your situation is 3.44%. No need to put down less than 20% to get a better rate. It NEVER makes sense to pay a CMHC fee, just to get a lower rate. Difference would have to be 0.75% just to break even...and you'll never see THAT large of a difference between the two options.
Thanks for your feedback!
I'm gonna try to negotiate with the broker then. Any tips?
Newbie
Feb 12, 2019
1 posts
First time posting!

Purchasing a pre-construction condo (purchase agreement already signed).

Purchase price - $990,000 (before GST)
Down payment amount (or percentage) - 20% (or a bit higher possibly if advantageous to do so)
Primary residence - Yes, first home!
Location - Edmonton, AB
Closing date - Early June 2019

Would this be considered an insurable mortgage because purchase price is < $1 million? Or would you look at the total price after GST (5%), which would be over $1 million?
Interested in 5 year fixed and 5 year variable rates!

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2011
5522 posts
2430 upvotes
Toronto
penpmcol201 wrote: First time posting!

Purchasing a pre-construction condo (purchase agreement already signed).

Purchase price - $990,000 (before GST)
Down payment amount (or percentage) - 20% (or a bit higher possibly if advantageous to do so)
Primary residence - Yes, first home!
Location - Edmonton, AB
Closing date - Early June 2019

Would this be considered an insurable mortgage because purchase price is < $1 million? Or would you look at the total price after GST (5%), which would be over $1 million?
Interested in 5 year fixed and 5 year variable rates!

Thanks!
Congratulations on buying your first home!! It would be considered an uninsurable mortgage as it would go by the total price, including GST. Lowest 5 year fixed is 3.54% or variable at prime -0.75% (3.20%).
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
(lic. 10532)
Member
User avatar
Sep 5, 2007
272 posts
110 upvotes
Calgary
tsinoboy wrote: Anyone heard of MCAP?
Yes. A private real estate financing company. My mortgage broker gave me a rate quote from these guys. The rate was darn good, but required a few extra conditions (e.g. no bona fide sale clause)
Jr. Member
Feb 6, 2011
192 posts
37 upvotes
c9gunner wrote: Yes. A private real estate financing company. My mortgage broker gave me a rate quote from these guys. The rate was darn good, but required a few extra conditions (e.g. no bona fide sale clause)
Thank you for your input.
Newbie
Feb 13, 2019
1 posts
Hi! First time purchaser, purchasing a home in Toronto.

Purchase price of $475K
downpayment of 35%
income: 90K
Closing date: Mid March
Primary Residence: First home

what 5 year rates could I get?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 1, 2015
1966 posts
919 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Mcap is a very large monoline lender, with excellent rates and great products. I do a ton of business with them, and my own mortgage is with them.
tsinoboy wrote: Anyone heard of MCAP?
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent at Valuemortgage
2018 Top 20 National - Mortgage Intelligence
FSCO # 10428
Newbie
Feb 27, 2014
21 posts
10 upvotes
c9gunner wrote:
Yes. A private real estate financing company. My mortgage broker gave me a rate quote from these guys. The rate was darn good, but required a few extra conditions (e.g. no bona fide sale clause)
valuemortgage wrote:
Mcap is a very large monoline lender, with excellent rates and great products. I do a ton of business with them, and my own mortgage is with them.
From what I understand, a bona fide sales clause means, among other things, you can't pay off your mortgage before your term unless you sell the property. Don't most closed mortgages have the same limitation? Or does a bona fide sales clause mean even if you're willing to pay the penalty (IRD or 3 months interest) you can't pay off the entire mortgage because it's explicitly stated in the terms and conditions of your mortgage? Thanks for clarifying
Last edited by BridgesW on Feb 14th, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2011
5522 posts
2430 upvotes
Toronto
tsinoboy wrote: Anyone heard of MCAP?
They are one of the largest non-bank lenders in Canada with over $70 billion in assets under administration. They are known for solid service and great rates. I've placed literally hundreds of my clients with them and have not received any negative feedback about them.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
(lic. 10532)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2011
5522 posts
2430 upvotes
Toronto
BridgesW wrote: From what I understand, a bona fide sales clause means, among other things, you can't pay off your mortgage before your term unless you sell the property. Don't most closed mortgages have the same limitation? Or does a bona fide sales clause mean even if your willing to pay the penalty (IRD or 3 months interest) you can't because it's explicitly stated in the terms and conditions of your mortgage? Thanks for clarifying
Most mortgages in Canada are closed, which just means they have a set term and there is a penalty if you want to break the mortgage before the end of that term. You can usually break them for any reason at all. A mortgage with a bonafide sale clause means that you cannot break the mortgage for any reason before the end of the term unless you sell your home. Even if you pay the penalty. This means you can't switch or refinance with another lender mid-term, however you can still refinance with MCAP if need be. If you sell your home, then the restriction is meaningless.

Not all MCAP products have this restriction. Just their Value Flex mortgage, which is their lowest rate product. BMO also has a product with the same restriction.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
(lic. 10532)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 2, 2014
8496 posts
2398 upvotes
Toronto
BridgesW wrote: From what I understand, a bona fide sales clause means, among other things, you can't pay off your mortgage before your term unless you sell the property. Don't most closed mortgages have the same limitation? Or does a bona fide sales clause mean even if you're willing to pay the penalty (IRD or 3 months interest) you can't pay off the entire mortgage because it's explicitly stated in the terms and conditions of your mortgage? Thanks for clarifying
From a realistic standpoint though, the Value Flex is very flexible.

Need to break the mortgage because you sold the property? You can.

Need to break the mortgage because you need more money? You can refinance with MCAP. Or you can get a HELOC behind the mortgage for extra funds without breaking and paying any penalties.

What to payoff the mortgage faster? You can with the 20/20 prepayments which can be made throughout the year (and 20% x 5 years = 100% of the mortgage, so you can pay it off in full with prepayments penalty-free).
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Newbie
Feb 13, 2019
3 posts
Hello,

I have a renewal coming up for my condo in March. What are the best rates available for 5-yr fixed or variable?

Mortgage amount owing at maturity (or current mortgage amount if unknown): 180K
Approximate market value: 360K
Original purchase date (month and year): March 2014
Did you pay an insurance premium such as CMHC when you purchased the home? (meaning you had less than 20% down payment): No
Did you refinance your mortgage since you owned your home? If so, what was the year and month when you did the refinance?: No
Do you have a second component such as a HELOC attached to your mortgage?: No
Current lender: TD
Is this your primary residence or a rental property?: Primary
Location: Laval, QC
Maturity date: March 15, 2019

Thanks in advance.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 25, 2015
640 posts
319 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I'm currently with MCAP, no issues at all. However they seem to be difficult on giving better rates in renewal. They just send me a variable rate of 3.2%. Makes me think its easier getting a better rate thru a broker even though its MCAP again.

I send them a counter offer of 2.85 and I haven't heard back yet.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 2, 2014
8496 posts
2398 upvotes
Toronto
Piklishi wrote: I'm currently with MCAP, no issues at all. However they seem to be difficult on giving better rates in renewal. They just send me a variable rate of 3.2%. Makes me think its easier getting a better rate thru a broker even though its MCAP again.

I send them a counter offer of 2.85 and I haven't heard back yet.
You won't get 2.85% variable with MCAP right now...their variable rates are a bit high at the moment (I'm hoping it will come down very soon based on some conversations I've had with them). Best rates start at 2.75% 5-year variable, but it's not with MCAP.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 31, 2018
3316 posts
632 upvotes
natenate wrote: Hi! First time purchaser, purchasing a home in Toronto.

Purchase price of $475K
downpayment of 35%
income: 90K
Closing date: Mid March
Primary Residence: First home

what 5 year rates could I get?
Congratulations on your first home see below best rates

5 yr fixed 3.29% 120 day hold with 20/20 prepayments

5 yr variable 2.80% prime-1.15% 90 days 20/20 prepayments

Hope this helps

Phil
Phil Cragg
Mortgage Agent
Mortgage Outlet Inc Broker License #12628
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 31, 2018
3316 posts
632 upvotes
To add to Paul's comments

MCAP are my #1 lender in terms of volume.

Great rates , fantastic underwriting and client support post funding

Phil
Phil Cragg
Mortgage Agent
Mortgage Outlet Inc Broker License #12628

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)