Real Estate

The Official Mortgage Rates Thread

May 17, 2011
3 posts
1 upvote
Montréal
Looking for guidance. First time buyer; 31 y.o. condo unit.
Purchase price - offer accepted at $405000.
Downpayment - 5% down, possibly slightly over that.
Location - Montreal, QC.
Closing date - beginning of July 2019
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
4788 posts
1702 upvotes
Toronto
DmitriyK wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 11:39 am
Looking for guidance. First time buyer; 31 y.o. condo unit.
Purchase price - offer accepted at $405000.
Downpayment - 5% down, possibly slightly over that.
Location - Montreal, QC.
Closing date - beginning of July 2019
Right now, the lowest rate available for a purchase with less than 20% down is 5 year fixed at 3.29% or 5 year variable at prime -1.20% (2.75%). Note that the maximum rate hold on the fixed rate option is 120 days, which is the case with most mortgage options. The variable rate option is 90 days. For either, you're a little early to lock anything in.

I would however suggest reaching out to a broker to have them review your application to ensure there will not be any issues with qualification. I would also have your lawyer review the status certificate of the condo building. Sometimes it's the property that gets declined, not the borrower.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
CityCan Financial Corp (lic. 10532)
Feb 14, 2019
5 posts
Hi,
I am looking for rate information for a mortgage renewal in Nova Scotia. Current term expires June 7, 2019. I would prefer a 5 year fixed term but am also curious about variable rates. I’m not sure what other information I should specify.
Thank you!
Feb 7, 2004
462 posts
117 upvotes
Haldimand
Just a question about porting. I switched lenders to MCAP when I renewed last year. The big thing for me was being able to port as I am now about to pull the trigger on buying a new home (increase mortgage amount). I was mistakenly under the impression being able to port a mortgage over to the new property would allow me not to have to break my mortgage mid term. When I called MCAP to discuss, they said I would have to pay a fee (around $3000) to move my current mortgage over to the new house as I would be breaking early but would give a minor discount if I remained with them. What is the point of having the ability to port if you are being charged a penalty anyways?

Sorry forgot to add info as I would need to requalify for increased amount:

New home asking price is 549,900
New mortgage would be around $440,000 with 20% down.
Income ~ 110,000
Credit score 843
St. Thomas, ON
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
4788 posts
1702 upvotes
Toronto
Jill4332 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 12:12 pm
Hi,
I am looking for rate information for a mortgage renewal in Nova Scotia. Current term expires June 7, 2019. I would prefer a 5 year fixed term but am also curious about variable rates. I’m not sure what other information I should specify.
Thank you!
For an accurate rate quote, provide the following info and we can let you know the best rates that will be available to you:

If you have a renewal coming up:

Mortgage amount owing at maturity (or current mortgage amount if unknown)
Approximate market value
Original purchase date (month and year)
Did you pay an insurance premium such as CMHC when you purchased the home? (meaning you had less than 20% down payment)
Did you refinance your mortgage since you owned your home? If so, what was the year and month when you did the refinance?
Do you have a second component such as a HELOC attached to your mortgage?
Current lender
Is this your primary residence or a rental property?

For anyone who may be purchasing, this the info required: 

Purchase price
Down payment amount (or percentage)
Primary residence or rental property
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
6691 posts
1645 upvotes
Toronto
Jill4332 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 12:12 pm
Hi,
Thank you!
Rates start at 2.75% 5-year variable and 3.29% 5-year fixed. For an exact quote, we need the questions above answered.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Owner/Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - Mortgage Architects (#13176)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
President's Club Award Winner At The Mortgage Architects
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
4788 posts
1702 upvotes
Toronto
Labrie wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 12:15 pm
Just a question about porting. I switched lenders to MCAP when I renewed last year. The big thing for me was being able to port as I am now about to pull the trigger on buying a new home (increase mortgage amount). I was mistakenly under the impression being able to port a mortgage over to the new property would allow me not to have to break my mortgage mid term. When I called MCAP to discuss, they said I would have to pay a fee (around $3000) to move my current mortgage over to the new house as I would be breaking early but would give a minor discount if I remained with them. What is the point of having the ability to port if you are being charged a penalty anyways?

Sorry forgot to add info as I would need to requalify for increased amount:

New home asking price is 549,900
New mortgage would be around $440,000 with 20% down.
Income ~ 110,000
Credit score 843
St. Thomas, ON
Are you currently in a fixed or a variable rate mortgage? Do you need to borrow additional funds to complete the new purchase?

If you are in a fixed rate, then the only fee that should apply would be the discharge fee from MCAP, around $350. Any additional funds required would be added on at today's rate. The two would then be blended together for a single rate and payment. This is what is known as a blended rate mortgage.

If you are in a variable rate mortgage, then only the remaining balance can be ported. If you need to borrow additional funds, then you would have to break the mortgage and pay the penalty. This is the case with variable rate mortgages from most lenders, banks included.

I recently wrote a blog on porting which you can find here: http://www.easy123mortgage.ca/everythin ... -mortgage/
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
Feb 14, 2019
5 posts
Hi,
Here is the requested information:
1)Mortgage amount owing at maturity (or current mortgage amount if unknown) - Current amount owing is $317,650
2)Approximate market value - I’m not sure of the exact market value as we built our home so haven’t had a formal appraisal. The Nova Scotia Property Valuation Services assessment for 2019 is $416, 600
3) Original purchase date (month and year) - We built our home, it was completed in Dec 2014. The original mortgage was for $368,220.
4) Did you pay an insurance premium such as CMHC when you purchased the home? (meaning you had less than 20% down payment) Yes we did
5) Did you refinance your mortgage since you owned your home? If so, what was the year and month when you did the refinance? No we did not
6) Do you have a second component such as a HELOC attached to your mortgage? No we do not
7) Current lender RBC
8) Is this your primary residence or a rental property? Yes
9) Location Boularderie, Nova Scotia
10) Maturity date June 7, 2019

Thank you!
Feb 14, 2019
5 posts
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 12:35 pm
Rates start at 2.75% 5-year variable and 3.29% 5-year fixed. For an exact quote, we need the questions above answered.
Thank you,
I have provided the requested information above
Last edited by Jill4332 on Feb 15th, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 14, 2019
5 posts
PaulMeredith wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 12:30 pm
For an accurate rate quote, provide the following info and we can let you know the best rates that will be available to you:

If you have a renewal coming up:

Mortgage amount owing at maturity (or current mortgage amount if unknown)
Approximate market value
Original purchase date (month and year)
Did you pay an insurance premium such as CMHC when you purchased the home? (meaning you had less than 20% down payment)
Did you refinance your mortgage since you owned your home? If so, what was the year and month when you did the refinance?
Do you have a second component such as a HELOC attached to your mortgage?
Current lender
Is this your primary residence or a rental property?

For anyone who may be purchasing, this the info required: 

Purchase price
Down payment amount (or percentage)
Primary residence or rental property
Thank you,
I posted the requested information above
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
4788 posts
1702 upvotes
Toronto
Jill4332 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:14 pm
Hi,
1)Mortgage amount owing at maturity (or current mortgage amount if unknown) - Current amount owing is $317,650
2)Approximate market value - I’m not sure of the exact market value as we built our home so haven’t had a formal appraisal. The Nova Scotia Property Valuation Services assessment for 2019 is $416, 600
3) Original purchase date (month and year) - We built our home, it was completed in Dec 2014. The original mortgage was for $368,220.
4) Did you pay an insurance premium such as CMHC when you purchased the home? (meaning you had less than 20% down payment) Yes we did
5) Did you refinance your mortgage since you owned your home? If so, what was the year and month when you did the refinance? No we did not
6) Do you have a second component such as a HELOC attached to your mortgage? No we do not
7) Current lender RBC

Thank you!
Thanks for the info! Lowest 5 year fixed would be 3.29% and lowest 5 year variable would be prime -1.20% (2.75%). The maximum rate hold for switches is 90 days, so you would need to wait until after the first week of March before you can lock in any rates.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
Jun 26, 2008
63 posts
1 upvote
Looking for a 5 year fixed mortgage for a condo purchase in Calgary.
Purchase Price: 400,000
Downpayment: 20%: 80,000
Please PM with rate and lender.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
6691 posts
1645 upvotes
Toronto
Jill4332 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:14 pm
Hi,
7) Current lender RBC

Thank you!
2.75% 5-year variable and 3.29% 5-year fixed are the best rates.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
6691 posts
1645 upvotes
Toronto
nasdaqnyse wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:40 pm
Looking for a 5 year fixed mortgage for a condo purchase in Calgary.
Purchase Price: 400,000
Downpayment: 20%: 80,000
Please PM with rate and lender.
3.49% 5-year fixed and 3.00% 5-year variable are the best rates.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
6691 posts
1645 upvotes
Toronto
Piklishi wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 6:09 pm
I'm currently with MCAP, no issues at all. However they seem to be difficult on giving better rates in renewal. They just send me a variable rate of 3.2%. Makes me think its easier getting a better rate thru a broker even though its MCAP again.

I send them a counter offer of 2.85 and I haven't heard back yet.
Just as I called it....MCAP reduced their variable rates today.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

silentguy, canadian gal