Sep 13, 2011
4248 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
Jill4332 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:14 pm
Hi,
Here is the requested information:
1)Mortgage amount owing at maturity (or current mortgage amount if unknown) - Current amount owing is $317,650
2)Approximate market value - I’m not sure of the exact market value as we built our home so haven’t had a formal appraisal. The Nova Scotia Property Valuation Services assessment for 2019 is $416, 600
3) Original purchase date (month and year) - We built our home, it was completed in Dec 2014. The original mortgage was for $368,220.
4) Did you pay an insurance premium such as CMHC when you purchased the home? (meaning you had less than 20% down payment) Yes we did
5) Did you refinance your mortgage since you owned your home? If so, what was the year and month when you did the refinance? No we did not
6) Do you have a second component such as a HELOC attached to your mortgage? No we do not
7) Current lender RBC
8) Is this your primary residence or a rental property? Yes
9) Location Boularderie, Nova Scotia
10) Maturity date June 7, 2019

Thank you!
Thanks for the info! Lowest 5 year fixed would be 3.29% and lowest 5 year variable would be prime -1.20% (2.75%). The maximum rate hold for switches is 90 days, so you would need to wait until after the first week of March before you can lock in any rates.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
CityCan Financial Corp (lic. 10532)
Jun 26, 2008
58 posts
1 upvote
Looking for a 5 year fixed mortgage for a condo purchase in Calgary.
Purchase Price: 400,000
Downpayment: 20%: 80,000
Please PM with rate and lender.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
5959 posts
1328 upvotes
Toronto
Jill4332 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:14 pm
Hi,
Here is the requested information:
1)Mortgage amount owing at maturity (or current mortgage amount if unknown) - Current amount owing is $317,650
2)Approximate market value - I’m not sure of the exact market value as we built our home so haven’t had a formal appraisal. The Nova Scotia Property Valuation Services assessment for 2019 is $416, 600
3) Original purchase date (month and year) - We built our home, it was completed in Dec 2014. The original mortgage was for $368,220.
4) Did you pay an insurance premium such as CMHC when you purchased the home? (meaning you had less than 20% down payment) Yes we did
5) Did you refinance your mortgage since you owned your home? If so, what was the year and month when you did the refinance? No we did not
6) Do you have a second component such as a HELOC attached to your mortgage? No we do not
7) Current lender RBC
8) Is this your primary residence or a rental property? Yes
9) Location Boularderie, Nova Scotia
10) Maturity date June 7, 2019

Thank you!
2.75% 5-year variable and 3.29% 5-year fixed are the best rates.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Broker - Mortgage Architects (#10287) and Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
President's Club Award Winner At The Mortgage Architects
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
5959 posts
1328 upvotes
Toronto
nasdaqnyse wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 1:40 pm
Looking for a 5 year fixed mortgage for a condo purchase in Calgary.
Purchase Price: 400,000
Downpayment: 20%: 80,000
Please PM with rate and lender.
3.49% 5-year fixed and 3.00% 5-year variable are the best rates.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Broker - Mortgage Architects (#10287) and Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
5959 posts
1328 upvotes
Toronto
Piklishi wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 6:09 pm
I'm currently with MCAP, no issues at all. However they seem to be difficult on giving better rates in renewal. They just send me a variable rate of 3.2%. Makes me think its easier getting a better rate thru a broker even though its MCAP again.

I send them a counter offer of 2.85 and I haven't heard back yet.
Just as I called it....MCAP reduced their variable rates today.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3760 posts
2044 upvotes
Looking for 5 year variable or fixed rate for a rental property in Greater Vancouver area.

$375,000 purchase price
$150,000 down

Still have $375,000 owing on primary residence.
Jan 7, 2013
5 posts
Our mortgage renewal is coming up this September.
We are trying to decide if we should add to our loan and refinance for home improvements or renew and use our two existing LOCs (35k unused, 7%). Looking for 5 yr variable. What’s the best rate for renewal or refinance? With only 6 months left, is it better to wait closer to maturity date to renew/refinance?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
4248 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
jchung513 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 3:08 am
Our mortgage renewal is coming up this September.
We are trying to decide if we should add to our loan and refinance for home improvements or renew and use our two existing LOCs (35k unused, 7%). Looking for 5 yr variable. What’s the best rate for renewal or refinance? With only 6 months left, is it better to wait closer to maturity date to renew/refinance?
Lowest 5 year variable for refinancing would be prime -0.75%. If you are just simply renewing, rates range from prime -1.20% (2.75%) to prime -0.95% (3.00%). For the prime -1.20%, your original mortgage would have needed to be insured with CMHC, Genworth or Canada Guaranty). If you have 35% or greater equity in the property, which is the case with the majority of switches, rate would be prime -1.15% 2.80%). For these rates, the value of the home needs to be under $1 million, OR you purchased the home prior to November 30th, 2016. It can get complicated, which is why we ask so many questions before we quote rates. Maximum rate hold on switches is also only 90 days for the most part, so the rates that are available today may not be available when it's time for you to switch.

As there is such a large spread between the refinancing rate and straight switch rate, and if your $35,000 in LOCs will cover the renos, then doing a simple switch and tapping into the LOC for the renovations would likely be a good choice, but there is another option as well.

You could consider adding a HELOC in 2nd position behind your current lender. Usually there is a set up charge of around $1,000 (legal and appraisal) to set up a HELOC. Manulife however should have no problem going in behind your current lender with a HELOC, and they will typically cover all the fees... however they have a $17 per month fee whether you use it or not. Manulife is only a good option when you have been in your mortgage for at least 1-2 years. If you were to try to add it fresh after switching, they will typically not offer it to you (contrary to how they did things in the past). Rate on HELOCs is usually prime +0.50% (4.45%), so you would need to weigh out the costs of using your LOC vs. adding a HELOC. Keep in mind that when it comes time to discharge the HELOC, there will also be a discharge fee of around $300. The difference between the 4.45% on the HELOC and the 7% on your LOC is 2.55%, or just over $74 per month on a $35,000 LOC.

That gives you a few things to think about and hopefully this will help you to determine the course of action best suited to you and your family.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
Jul 4, 2018
8 posts
I want to get a HELOC on my house. I bought in 2007 with TD. I got a cash back loan. Now I owe $173k. I'm in Oakville Ontario. 2 bedroom condo. Similar units are selling for 400k. We would like a line of credit for 50k to buy new equipment for our business. Household income is around 70k. Who should I talk to?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
4248 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
Lessjunkremovel wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 10:21 am
I want to get a HELOC on my house. I bought in 2007 with TD. I got a cash back loan. Now I owe $173k. I'm in Oakville Ontario. 2 bedroom condo. Similar units are selling for 400k. We would like a line of credit for 50k to buy new equipment for our business. Household income is around 70k. Who should I talk to?
Since your mortgage is currently with TD, TD would be the best lender to speak to. Options are always more limited when adding a HELOC behind a different lender. You may want to speak with Manulife as well. As mentioned in my above post, there are fees of around $1,000 to set up a HELOC. Manulife will typically cover these for you, but they have a $17 per month fee. This gives you an idea of where you can start.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
Jul 4, 2018
8 posts
How does the qualifications process work? Do they base it on the value of the property? Or do you need to prove you can pass a stress test.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
4248 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
Lessjunkremovel wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 10:35 am
How does the qualifications process work? Do they base it on the value of the property? Or do you need to prove you can pass a stress test.
It would be the same process as applying for a mortgage. An appraisal would be required to determine the value. The mortgage and HELOC combination can go up to 80% of the appraised value. The HELOC portion alone cannot exceed 65%. You will need to pass the stress test as well.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
Jul 4, 2018
8 posts
Is there a secondary lender with less restrictions. Must be a easier way. If my property is worth 400k minimum and I owe 173k. I would think lenders would be lined up to lend 50k. Shouldn't a equity loan, be based on the equity. Not someone's ability to pay it back. Its secured on the equity. Maybe I'm wrong.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
4248 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
Lessjunkremovel wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 10:52 am
Is there a secondary lender with less restrictions. Must be a easier way. If my property is worth 400k minimum and I owe 173k. I would think lenders would be lined up to lend 50k. Shouldn't a equity loan, be based on the equity. Not someone's ability to pay it back. Its secured on the equity. Maybe I'm wrong.
It's not an equity loan. You still need to qualify, just as with any other mortgage. It doesn't matter how much equity there is in the property, you still need to qualify based on income, credit, etc. If you are concerned about qualifying, then other options do exist, however they are a lot more pricey. Likely a rate of around 10%, plus set up fees which can vary depending on the situation, loan size, etc.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author
Jul 4, 2018
8 posts
Thanks for your help. I guess I have to go in the bank. I think I can qualify. Just seems like a hassle. I'm going to offer a service 1% higher then the banks, but we qualify you in under a hour and do it during a Skype call. Funds available in under a hour.

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 2 guests)

Gpreet0103, jojo9098, Bumba, jj14