Currently have LOC
No need for LOC in the renewal
Renewal date May 17.
House purchased on May 2013.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2018
1771 posts
337 upvotes
hoogs33 wrote: My mortgage is up for renewal August 19th. RBC called to offer 3.19% fixed rate. I have $140,000 left on my mortgage and I have a line of credit attached to it. Is it too early to start looking at other mortgages? Is it worth it to switch to a competitor due to extra costs?

Thanks!
Would need to know the property value

Was it insured by CMHC originally

Phil
Phil Cragg
Mortgage Broker
Mortgage Outlet Inc Broker License #12628
Dec 17, 2018
19 posts
6 upvotes
valuemortgage wrote: Most banks (except National Bank) will go behind other lenders in a Heloc. The problem is : half of the time you contact the bank employee, they have no idea how this works OR they will tell you it cannot be done, which is untrue. I have my own mortgage with Mcap and got CIBC to setup a Heloc behind Mcap, and both times I heard different stories from different branches. At one point, in the middle of the application the branch manager told me it was a hard stop and they could not proceed - no way to overcome that. But guess what - the branch close to my house was able to easily do it in a few days.
Along the process, I called TD bank and heard :
Employee #1 - we dont do Helocs in 2nd position, no matter what
Employee #2 - we do Helocs but as this would be in 2nd position the rate is higher (P-1.50%)
Employee #3 - we do Helocs and you get the regular rate, but must draw the funds and keep a negative balance for 3-4 months

Called BMO - 1 employee told me they would not go behind "a small lender such as Mcap" - which is very funny, knowing the relationship between BMO and Mcap.. the other employee told me BMO does not offer Helocs....

Each call to a branch resulted in a different answer. Most of the time they will tell you need to transfer the mortgage to get the Heloc - and they say this only because they want to sell a mortgage at any cost.

Simplii Financial has been easy for a lot of my customers. Lowest fees and no BS.
If we get a HELOC is it 65% of my property value?
What's the easiest way to calculate how much HELOC I can get?
I have a first with CIBC which is about 50% of my home. So does that mean HELOC will only cover up to the next 15% or can we go up to 30% (overall 80%)
Jan 21, 2010
232 posts
39 upvotes
YUL
CreateAnAccount wrote: If we get a HELOC is it 65% of my property value?
What's the easiest way to calculate how much HELOC I can get?
I have a first with CIBC which is about 50% of my home. So does that mean HELOC will only cover up to the next 15% or can we go up to 30% (overall 80%)
The amount you can take out in HELOC works like this: current house value X 80% = YYY then YYY minus mortgage balance, and you'll have your max heloc amount.
That max heloc can't go over 65% of your current house value, so it's the lowest amount between that formula or 65% of your current house value.
Aug 26, 2012
88 posts
106 upvotes
Nepean
rateconnect wrote: Would need to know the property value

Was it insured by CMHC originally

Phil
Thanks for responding.
The property value when we purchased was $330,000 5 years ago. Today, similar houses are selling for $450,000. We did not have it insured with CMHC when purchased.
Dec 17, 2018
19 posts
6 upvotes
financeg wrote: The amount you can take out in HELOC works like this: current house value X 80% = YYY then YYY minus mortgage balance, and you'll have your max heloc amount.
That max heloc can't go over 65% of your current house value, so it's the lowest amount between that formula or 65% of your current house value.
So would it work like this:
800k house value x 80% = 640k minus 400k mortgage balance = 240k
65% of house value = 520k
Taking lowest would be the 240k, so I could have a 400k mortgage and then have a 240k HELOC?
May 24, 2018
1 posts
Hi guys,

Mortgage amount owing at maturity: $275,000
Approximate market value: $580,000
Is the property owner-occupied or a rental? Owner
Original purchase date: June 2014
Is the mortgage CMHC insured? No
Did you refinance your mortgage since you owned your home? NO
Current lender: Scotiabank
Do you have a HELOC tied to the mortgage? Yes

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1966 posts
918 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Assuming credit and income support the deal, yes - $240k would be the amount you should get approved for.
CreateAnAccount wrote: So would it work like this:
Taking lowest would be the 240k, so I could have a 400k mortgage and then have a 240k HELOC?
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent at Valuemortgage
2018 Top 20 National - Mortgage Intelligence
FSCO # 10428
Jan 21, 2010
232 posts
39 upvotes
YUL
CreateAnAccount wrote: So would it work like this:
If your house value is really 800k, then yes. They'll have it apraised either way
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2018
1771 posts
337 upvotes
hoogs33 wrote: Thanks for responding.
The property value when we purchased was $330,000 5 years ago. Today, similar houses are selling for $450,000. We did not have it insured with CMHC when purchased.
2.89% 5 yr fixed

2.80% 5 yr variable

You will have legals of $800

Phil
Phil Cragg
Mortgage Broker
Mortgage Outlet Inc Broker License #12628
Apr 17, 2019
1 posts
Hi there! Looking for some mortgage advice for best rate & options.

First home, offer recently accepted
5 year fixed desired
Purchase price: 365K
Down payment: 25%
Income: 84K
Credit score: excellent
Current loans/mortgages: none

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1966 posts
918 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Hi there. Congratulations on your purchase. You should have some options for a 5y fixed from 2.89% to 2.94% with excellent pre payment terms. When is the closing date?
popnfrsh wrote: Hi there! Looking for some mortgage advice for best rate & options.

First home, offer recently accepted
5 year fixed desired
Purchase price: 365K
Down payment: 25%
Income: 84K
Credit score: excellent
Current loans/mortgages: none

Thanks!
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent at Valuemortgage
2018 Top 20 National - Mortgage Intelligence
FSCO # 10428
Apr 17, 2019
1 posts
Thanks Andre!!

Closing date is May 3 (if my assumption is correct that the closing date is same as possession date?). Possession is pretty well immediate. I was recently approved with through a mortgage broker (5 minutes ago) who offered a fixed 5y product at 3.19%. Should I be asking them if they have a better rate?
valuemortgage wrote: Hi there. Congratulations on your purchase. You should have some options for a 5y fixed from 2.89% to 2.94% with excellent pre payment terms. When is the closing date?
Dec 19, 2012
108 posts
37 upvotes
Hi There,

My mortgage is up for renewal in three months.
I purchased the home 5 years ago, my current rate is 3.3 variable.
I am insured with CMHC, have an excellent credit score...
The mortgage required is 375,000.
What options do I have?

Regards,

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 2 guests)

Latebuyer, ilikekku, joe2000, monster11