Real Estate

The Official Mortgage Rates Thread

Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2020
4121 posts
868 upvotes
Basicdeals wrote: Hi there,

Looking for a 5 year fixed rate. See below. I know I'm a little early but trying to figure out if it's worth it to pay the penalty (approx 2k) to lock in a rate now (currently paying 2.29% fixed)

For a mortgage transfer/renewal:

-How much is the mortgage owing? 380k
-Roughly, what is the current market value of the property? 635k
-Which city is the property located in? Coquitlam
-Is the property owner-occupied or a rental? Owner
-Who is your current lender? MCAP
-Do you have a HELOC tied to the mortgage? No
-Is the mortgage CMHC insured? No
-When did you buy the property? June 2017
-What was the purchase price? 550k
-When is your renewal date? June 2022

Thanks in advance.
Seems like you have a good rate at the moment in comparison to the market. I would wait until you are within 120 days of your renewal date to lock in to a rate hold. Rates are climbing up above 2.3% now for fixed.
Jan 17, 2022
4 posts
My post was awaiting approval by moderator and got lost a few pages back. Re-posting here now, thanks in advance.

smalltownboy wrote: Looking for rates for a mortgage renewal! Both 5yr variable and fixed, tyvm for your time.

-How much is the mortgage owing? 119,200.00
-Roughly, what is the current market value of the property? 215,000.00 conservative estimate
-Which city is the property located in? Gimli, Manitoba
-Is the property owner-occupied or a rental? owner-occupied
-Who is your current lender? Noventis Credit Union
-Do you have a HELOC tied to the mortgage? no
-Is the mortgage CMHC insured? no
-When did you buy the property? 2017
-What was the purchase price? 180,000.00
-When is your renewal date? March 1st, 2022
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, looking to possibly refinance or switch to my mortgage to a lower variable rate or go fixed to hedge against the incoming rate increases. Interested in both 5 year variable and fixed. Let me know what's available and if it's worth doing since I only have 1 year and 5 months left on my current term, thanks.

-How much is the mortgage owing? $380,809
-Current interest rate: prime - 1%
-Roughly, what is the current market value of the property? 625,000
-Which city is the property located in? Toronto
-Is the property owner-occupied or a rental? Owner occupied
-Who is your current lender? Scotiabank
-When did you buy the property? June 2018
-When is your renewal date? June 2023
Jun 19, 2009
514 posts
241 upvotes
Ottawa
Posting for a friend for a purchase. What is the fixed and variable rate for 25 and 30 years? Preferred 30 years.

-What is the purchase price? 735,000
-How much is the down payment? 147,000 (20%)
-Where it the property located? Ottawa
-When is the closing date? end of February
-Will the property be owner-occupied or a rental? Owner-occupied.
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
11233 posts
3351 upvotes
Toronto
Just wanted to let everyone know, that many monoline lenders are increasing rates as at midnight tonight.

If you're working on an application with a broker, ensure they submit it tonight!
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Sep 26, 2007
11 posts
Looking for a refinance my mortgage:
-How much is the mortgage owing? $437,000
-Roughly, what is the current market value of the property? $1,700,000
-Which city is the property located in? Markham, ON
-current interest rate: 2.87 fixed
-Is the property owner-occupied or a rental? Owner-occupied
-Who is your current lender? Scotia
-When did you buy the property? Sep 2012
-What was the purchase price? $650,000
-When is your renewal date? Jan 15 2023

Fixed and variable rates would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jan 18, 2022
1 posts
What is the variable rate for 30 years ?

-What is the purchase price? 1,850,000
-How much is the down payment? 370,000 (20%)
-Where it the property located? Mississauga
-When is the closing date? April 5
-Will the property be owner-occupied or a rental? Owner-occupied
Nov 21, 2013
42 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Hi I currently have a 1.2% 5 yr variable mortgage that I renewed in September, I’m getting nervous with inflation and the impact on rates. Possible bank of Canada increases 4-6 times this yr.

That being said I can switch to 5-year fixed at no cost but will jump to 2.8%. Am better off to ride the wave with variable? Or does the 2.8% the better position given how things are trending? How bad would it have to get for variable to be more expensive over the 5 years?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
BDLouie wrote: Hi I currently have a 1.2% 5 yr variable mortgage that I renewed in September, I’m getting nervous with inflation and the impact on rates. Possible bank of Canada increases 4-6 times this yr.

That being said I can switch to 5-year fixed at no cost but will jump to 2.8%. Am better off to ride the wave with variable? Or does the 2.8% the better position given how things are trending? How bad would it have to get for variable to be more expensive over the 5 years?
I mean you can run the math, variable rates would need to get over 2.8% obviously and you'd have to make up the savings you'd have from now until they do as well. Assuming 4-6 increases this year and then a couple next year might sound like a reasonable assumption, but it's equally fair to assume they'll start raising them and then slow down or have to pause for an extended period. There are so many people who are going to start getting squeezed with increased mortgage costs, increased LOC costs and other goods which are rising far faster than incomes at the moment that these raises are going to need to be watched by the BOC closely. We haven't really had the covid recession yet since the initial 2020 dip really was just a temporary dip.

The reality is what can you sustain and how can you handle the risk. For me I'm sticking with my variable, but if I was going to lose my house at 3.25% I would have a different view of things perhaps.
Oct 30, 2019
872 posts
1805 upvotes
Fraser Valley
Look at it from another perspective. Do you want to impose a 1.6% rate hike on yourself out of fear?

6 rate hikes are 1.5% at 25 per
BDLouie wrote: Hi I currently have a 1.2% 5 yr variable mortgage that I renewed in September, I’m getting nervous with inflation and the impact on rates. Possible bank of Canada increases 4-6 times this yr.

May 4, 2017
474 posts
202 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Skyrise wrote: New to RFD (long time lurker but no account).

Making my first time post as I understand that is required to message other users? I am looking for mortgage broker and looking for rates per below. We are property searching at the current moment so some of the information is rough.

- Purchase price? 1,100,000
- How much is the down payment? 20%
- Where is the property located? Assume Oakville
- Closing date? Assume April 25th
- Owner occupied

Thanks,
You're looking at pre-approval rates at the moment, and typically the pre-approval rates are going to be higher than the live offer rates you will be offered. But, it's important to have the credit, income, and down payment reviewed by a professional. So for the pre-approval, it's less rate based and more qualification based.

With the purchase being over $1m, the mortgage is going to be considered 'uninsurable'. So best rates are most likely going to come from larger bank lenders and credit unions. Mortgage brokers will have Scotia, TD, and some local credit unions to explore here for you. But there are other bank lenders that you can also explore independently if you so choose. The benefit of the brokers is that we're aware of the market as a whole, and have the ability to look at multiple lenders with one application.

Hope that helps a bit!
ck01 wrote: Should I break my variable rate early and secure a lower variable one for the next 5 years in anticipation of the increases? I guess I would have to pay 3 months penalty. Plus all the other notary fees etc. Good move or stay put?

-How much is the mortgage owing? 274.000$
-Roughly, what is the current market value of the property? 550,000.00 conservative estimate
-Which city is the property located in? Gatineau, QC
-Who is your current lender? CIBC, variable 1.45%
-Do you have a HELOC tied to the mortgage? Yes but unused (total of mortgage + HELOC room: 315k)
-When did you buy the property? 2018
-What was the purchase price? 380.000
-When is your renewal date? June 21, 2023
There are lower rates available if you're willing to forego the home equity line of credit. But if you're keener on having a readvanceable mortgage, it probably won't make much sense to take the penalty as the rates you will be offered will be comparable. Historically, P-1% from a large bank is a good rate. We did see steeper discounts, but with the BoC meeting coming up end of month we have seen discounts to prime contract especially at the larger bank lenders. The only way to get something much better would be to have a mortgage at $1m+.
smalltownboy wrote: My post was awaiting approval by moderator and got lost a few pages back. Re-posting here now, thanks in advance.
Looking for rates for a mortgage renewal! Both 5yr variable and fixed, tyvm for your time.

-How much is the mortgage owing? 119,200.00
-Roughly, what is the current market value of the property? 215,000.00 conservative estimate
-Which city is the property located in? Gimli, Manitoba
-Who is your current lender? Noventis Credit Union
-Do you have a HELOC tied to the mortgage? no
-When did you buy the property? 2017
-What was the purchase price? 180,000.00
-When is your renewal date? March 1st, 2022
Variable you're most likely looking at 1.20%, and fixed around 2.59%. Currently as you're with a credit union the mortgage will incur legal fees to switch out, we can increase the rate slightly to wrap the legals in. It gets a bit tougher when the mortgage amount is less, as the legal fees are the same regardless.
No URLs in signatures
Apr 20, 2011
898 posts
112 upvotes
Scarborough
Have a general question about multiple rental property mortgages. Why does TD treat the mortgage qualification calculations for more than 1 rental property differently than other banks? TD advisor mentioned to me that its difficult to get the 2nd rental property mortgage unless there its evidently sustaining itself via the rental income. He also mentioned that I shouldn't be an issue if 1st rental property is with 1 bank and 2nd rental property is with another bank. I guess I could do that, but if trying to bring all business to one bank in hopes of getting favorable rates, would Scotia or CIBC be a better option for multiple property mortgages?
May 4, 2017
474 posts
202 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DealMaomi wrote: Hi, looking to possibly refinance or switch to my mortgage to a lower variable rate or go fixed to hedge against the incoming rate increases. Interested in both 5 year variable and fixed. Let me know what's available and if it's worth doing since I only have 1 year and 5 months left on my current term, thanks.

5 Year fixed can still do 2.34% here with a monoline lender. 5 Year variable is 1% with a monoline lender still. Both with 20/20 prepayment.

If you're worried about rate increases and feel like you could "convert" to fixed at some point in time. It's best to take fixed now, variable should be held through the duration of the term to avoid trying to time the market.
ipanda wrote: Posting for a friend for a purchase. What is the fixed and variable rate for 25 and 30 years? Preferred 30 years.

-What is the purchase price? 735,000
-How much is the down payment? 147,000 (20%)
-Where it the property located? Ottawa
-When is the closing date? end of February
-Will the property be owner-occupied or a rental? Owner-occupied.
25 years will be better rates as the mortgage will be considered insurable, 30 yrs will be a bit higher due to it's uninsurability.

25yr AM
5 Year variable would be 1.15%-1.25% depending on the features associated, 1.15% would have a bonafide sales clause which IMO makes the product pretty restrictive especially on the variable side.
5 year fixed would be 2.44%-2.54%
All of these would be from monoline lenders with 20/20 prepayment.

30 yr Am
5 year variable would be 1.30% 20/20 - Full-featured
5 Year fixed ~2.54% - 20/20 Full featured
jack.hill123 wrote: Looking for a refinance my mortgage:
-How much is the mortgage owing? $437,000
-Roughly, what is the current market value of the property? $1,700,000
-Which city is the property located in? Markham, ON
-current interest rate: 2.87 fixed
-Is the property owner-occupied or a rental? Owner-occupied
-Who is your current lender? Scotia
-When did you buy the property? Sep 2012
-What was the purchase price? $650,000
-When is your renewal date? Jan 15 2023

Fixed and variable rates would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
So ideally we can figure out how much equity you'd like to take out in the refinance, and how much your penalty would be to do so. If the goal is to try for 80% loan to value, so $1,360,000 then we can probably get ~1.30%-1.40% depending on the terms for 5 year variable. For fixed in this case it would be mid to high 2%.
Deebha wrote: What is the variable rate for 30 years ?

-What is the purchase price? 1,850,000
-How much is the down payment? 370,000 (20%)
-Where it the property located? Mississauga
-When is the closing date? April 5
-Will the property be owner-occupied or a rental? Owner-occupied
Should still be able to get ~1.35% with cashback on this. Major bank lender with 15/15 prepayment.
stanleyinfrared wrote: Question to mortgage brokers from a prospective first-time home buyer:

Does 100% of down payment have to be present in a cash account at the time of a mortgage application?
No, you can get 90-day statements from investment accounts, and registered accounts to qualify.

This is very personal. And you need to pull out some mortgage calculators to see what the "worst-case" scenario is. Can you tolerate higher payments? Does your payment change? If your payment changes, would you be okay with a rate @ say 5% ? Not at all saying that the rates are going there. Actually, I think they will not get anywhere close, but determining a worst-case scenario is going to allow you to sleep at night if your payments change. If your payments don't change, then there's not much to worry about when thinking month to month. But you do want to make principal contributions along the way to offset the amortization as rates increase.

No one really knows what's going to happen here, so I would advise to take the idea of timing the market out of it. Another benefit of the variable rate mortgage would be a 3month interest penalty to break the mortgage, vs a steep IRD penalty. So the IRD in itself would cost 2%-4% of the mortgage balance if you broke it mid-term on fixed.

I often compare the variable to fixed conversion to overtrading in stocks, you can't time the market, and this is a long-term strategy. As @bg8055 mentioned you're automatically locking in an extra 1.6% higher on the rate for the term of the mortgage if you book the fixed now. And the fixed rates, and variable rates will most likely go higher from here. So maintaining a longer-term outlook is imperative to keeping yourself from going through sleepless nights.

If you do some soul searching and think you'll lock in higher, then it's a good idea to lock in now, and get it over with. Probably shouldn't have gone variable to start. But if you think you can tolerate the worst-case scenarios then it's best to hang on and embrace the volatility.
No URLs in signatures
May 4, 2017
474 posts
202 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
dainfamous41 wrote: Have a general question about multiple rental property mortgages. Why does TD treat the mortgage qualification calculations for more than 1 rental property differently than other banks? TD advisor mentioned to me that its difficult to get the 2nd rental property mortgage unless there its evidently sustaining itself via the rental income. He also mentioned that I shouldn't be an issue if 1st rental property is with 1 bank and 2nd rental property is with another bank. I guess I could do that, but if trying to bring all business to one bank in hopes of getting favorable rates, would Scotia or CIBC be a better option for multiple property mortgages?
TD does this silly thing with a DSC calculation, where they basically want to show the properties are cashflow positive, and if it fails this test they won't do the file. Scotia is awsome for rentals, they use a very aggressive offset, and basically wipe ppty taxes and heat from the properties in debt servicing. Downside to doing a rental file with Scotia is their rates are usually at a premium to the market. I can't speak for CIBC, but I think they are pretty decent, at least better than TD Bank.
No URLs in signatures
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2011
7037 posts
3631 upvotes
Toronto
DealMaomi wrote: Hi, looking to possibly refinance or switch to my mortgage to a lower variable rate or go fixed to hedge against the incoming rate increases. Interested in both 5 year variable and fixed. Let me know what's available and if it's worth doing since I only have 1 year and 5 months left on my current term, thanks.

If you were to convert to today's lowest 5 year variable of 1.00% (prime -1.45%), you'd be behind by roughly $500 by the time your current mortgage renews. Not a large enough of a rate difference or time remaining on the mortgage to come out ahead by June of 2023. I would stay put for now.
Paul Meredith
Mortgage Broker, Author - CityCan Financial Corp
(lic. 10532)
Nov 21, 2013
42 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Tks All! appreciate all responses! I believe the expect BOC increase next wk is already baked into the 2.89%, quote stands for 2 wks, so gives me some time to mull it over. Am I to expect that if I hold off in a months time the next expected increase would be baked into a revised fixed rate.

It definitely is a matter of what is the worst case scenario… every payment I hold off locking in the more saving but I’m opening myself to more risk. The amount of media coverage is definitely stoking fear..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2011
7037 posts
3631 upvotes
Toronto

There is a huge spread between your current rate and the fixed that you can convert to. It would take 7 increases from the Bank of Canada to put you ahead of the fixed rate you're being offered. That doesn't put you behind. You would just start to give back some of your savings. You could easily sustain additional rate increases and still come out ahead.

Over the past 40+ years, homeowners have come out ahead with a variable rate mortgage more than 80% of the time. You don't come out ahead by converting to fixed at the first sign of a potential rate increase. Yes, there is speculation that the Bank of Canada could increase their rate as early as next week, and as much as 4-5 times this year. The BOC was projecting their first increase to be in the middle two quarters of 2022. That was only six weeks ago. Things can and do change.

The US Fed hinted early in January that they are now planning to increase sooner than expected. Canada typically follows the US. I can't see that BOC increasing rate when there is still so much uncertainty around Omicron, but they may not have a choice. Strong inflationary pressures and a solid job market is pushing rates up. It will be interesting to see what happens on January 26th, but a rate hike is possible.

Does the speculated rate increases in 2022 mean everyone should be going fixed?

Not in the least. I never recommend making a decision based on a single move by the Bank of Canada. It all comes down to your tolerance for risk. What is right for one person doesn't mean it's right for another.

When considering locking in, or considering a fixed or variable on a new mortgage, ask yourself the following questions:

How will you feel when the rate starts increasing?
Does your heart skip a beat every time the words 'rate' and 'increase' are mentioned in the news?
Does the thought of increasing rates scare you?

If you answer yes to any of these questions, then you might be better off with a fixed rate. Regardless of whether or not variable typically wins out over fixed, it's not the right choice for everyone.
The right choice is not necessarily the one that saves you the most money. It's the one that allows you to sleep soundly at night.

Even though fixed rates have doubled from where they were a year ago, there is definitely nothing wrong with choosing fixed if it gives you some peace of mind. They are great rates for sure, even with the increases. We've just been spoiled with the pandemic driven sub 2% fixed rates over the last 18 months.

If they end up increasing their rate 4 -5 times this year, as some are predicting, then they would likely need to make an adjustment sooner than later. Decreases will follow increases. It's just a matter of when those decreases occur. Never has there been a time in history where the Bank of Canada has increased rates, but not decreased them in the same 5 year period. Never.

Still Uncertain On Fixed vs. Variable?
If you are still uncertain, one strategy that discuss in detail in my book is to go with the variable rate, but then use your prepayment privileges after closing to increase your payment to match the higher 5 year fixed payment. You're already prepared to make the higher payment anyway (or you wouldn't be asking which you should choose). This way, 100% of the difference in payment would be applied directly to your principal, where as with the 5 year fixed option, the difference would be applied 100% to interest. This way, when rates do increase, you may have a higher rate, but it will be on a lower balance.

I would recommend taking it one step further and increase your payment a little more each year. Most people will get annual pay increases. Use this to increase your payments further. This way, you're staying ahead of the game. This gives you two solid benefits:

1. Paying down your principal balance faster
2. Eliminating future payment shock

With most variable rate mortgages are actually adjustable rate mortgages. This means that when the rate changes, so does your payment. When the rate changes, it's the Bank of Canada that is increasing your rate and therefore your payment. While we know this is coming, it can still create a shock. Now you're forced to make a higher payment. By increasing your payments ahead of time, you're the one in control of your payment, not the Bank of Canada. This will eliminate any future payment shock. When the BOC increases rate, you're already increased payment would still increase accordingly, but you can always revert back to your previous payment following this strategy.
When you use your prepayment privileges to increase your payment, the additional amount will be applied 100% towards your principal. This is the case with every single mortgage lender.

Hope you find this helpful. :)

Paul
Paul Meredith
(lic. 10532)
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
PaulMeredith wrote: If you were to convert to today's lowest 5 year variable of 1.00% (prime -1.45%), you'd be behind by roughly $500 by the time your current mortgage renews. Not a large enough of a rate difference or time remaining on the mortgage to come out ahead by June of 2023. I would stay put for now.
Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. Curious about your calculations that says I'd be behind by roughly $500 by the time my current mortgage renews. I tried plugging in the numbers into this refinance calculator and it estimates I'd come out almost $1000 ahead:

https://wowa.ca/calculators/mortgage-re ... calculator

This calculator doesn't account for legal, appraisal, mortgage discharge and registration fees which I assume would be covered by the new lender. Let me know if I missed something.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2011
7037 posts
3631 upvotes
Toronto
DealMaomi wrote: Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. Curious about your calculations that says I'd be behind by roughly $500 by the time my current mortgage renews. I tried plugging in the numbers into this refinance calculator and it estimates I'd come out almost $1000 ahead:

https://wowa.ca/calculators/mortgage-re ... calculator

This calculator doesn't account for legal, appraisal, mortgage discharge and registration fees which I assume would be covered by the new lender. Let me know if I missed something.
Great question! The calculator you used is calculating based on converting today. As switches take approximately 30 days to complete, i've set the remaining months as 16 instead of 17. I've also added your discharge fee of roughly $300 to your penalty. That being said, I did make an error in the calculation. You would come out ahead by roughly $500 by the end of the term, which is not much more than breaking even. Now the numbers are similar to the calculator link you provided.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Paul
Paul Meredith
(lic. 10532)
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
PaulMeredith wrote: Great question! The calculator you used is calculating based on converting today. As switches take approximately 30 days to complete, i've set the remaining months as 16 instead of 17. I've also added your discharge fee of roughly $300 to your penalty. That being said, I did make an error in the calculation. You would come out ahead by roughly $500 by the end of the term, which is not much more than breaking even. Now the numbers are similar to the calculator link you provided.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Paul
Hi Paul, thanks again. That makes a lot more sense now. I have a question about the various fees associated with a refinancing. The same site indicates that for a refinance, the typical fees are Appraisal, Discharge, Assignment, Registration, and Legal Fees. Out of these, which ones are usually covered by the new lender and which ones do I have to pay out of pocket and how much do they cost typically? Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)