• Jul 7th, 2021 3:23 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 8, 2010
812 posts
462 upvotes
toronto
ahammad wrote: Quick update, Canawick got back to me:

Basically, I think they are safe to use but probably won't impart as much flavour as hickory, cherry, pecan etc. If you are doing higher temperature grilling, it might be worth it.
i think the soft woods in there will burn through pellets faster too. maybe not get as hot either. also will add to more soot, ash for clean up.

But then again, for that price, if you go through a whole bag, works out cheaper.

maybe we should try and organize a group buy for some lumberjacks or cookingpellets. our american counter parts seems to like these 2 brands quite a bit
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2016
2209 posts
1814 upvotes
denti72 wrote: i think the soft woods in there will burn through pellets faster too. maybe not get as hot either. also will add to more soot, ash for clean up.

But then again, for that price, if you go through a whole bag, works out cheaper.

maybe we should try and organize a group buy for some lumberjacks or cookingpellets. our american counter parts seems to like these 2 brands quite a bit
I'd be up for a group buy!
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
So after giving up on a ceramic kamado because I cant accept its weight, i went for a pellet grill. I was going to get the pit boss 700sc for 676 at walmart but they canceled by order because it was out of stock. I went to cabela because they had one but then saw these. They come with a cover and life time warranty. I was not prepared to spend that much but compared to the 700sc the build quality looks absolutely beautiful . plus the pit boss 720 had some rust in some places in comparison as they were both outside. Pictures dont do them justice. The pit boss for 820 is a better buy than the 720 especially at $550, buy but I wanted something smaller. The 36" cabela is a beast for 100 more.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/106391/c ... llet-grill

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/106392/c ... llet-grill
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
Just picked up my GMG Daniel Boone this week and cooked a 3lb Tomahawk on it yesterday. In love with this grill already. Used CookinPellets Perfect Mix for this, I ordered a 40lb bag off amazon.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1803 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
TripleHelix wrote: Just picked up my GMG Daniel Boone this week and cooked a 3lb Tomahawk on it yesterday. In love with this grill already. Used CookinPellets Perfect Mix for this, I ordered a 40lb bag off amazon.
Excellent choice. Their customer service is top of the line too.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1803 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
ToDealHunter wrote: I am glad to read the pitboss pellet grill is a good buy. I may have to buy a new pellet grill soon, my Green Mountain suddenly died one month ago, I already tried to change the fuse with no luck. Costumer service is really good but waiting for weather to get better to call them again because I need to disamble the hoper in order to get to the electrical compartment and pin point the issue. Sigh...
Update, my Daniel Boone is running again, already did prime rib, smoke salmon and some beer chicken this week.

Called Costumer service and because my pellet grill is out of warranty they offered me a 50% off code to order some parts to fix my grill. I dont have any electrical skills but was able to change the board and the harness in 3 minutes with no issues. Very good videos on youtube that explain step by step how to change it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
ToDealHunter wrote: Excellent choice. Their customer service is top of the line too.
It shipped with the one piece grease tray though which I believe the new one is a 2 piece to allow for direct heat in the open config. Mine is just a flat metal piece with no holes. Will have to talk to the retailer and see if I can get the other config as their display model had it.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1803 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
TripleHelix wrote: It shipped with the one piece grease tray though which I believe the new one is a 2 piece to allow for direct heat in the open config. Mine is just a flat metal piece with no holes. Will have to talk to the retailer and see if I can get the other config as their display model had it.
Do you have the remote control or the new wifi ?

I have the original remote control one piece grease tray and the new wifi comes with two pieces.

Dont forget to cover the tgrease tray with heavy duty aluminum foil will extend the life of it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
ToDealHunter wrote: Do you have the remote control or the new wifi ?

I have the original remote control one piece grease tray and the new wifi comes with two pieces.

Dont forget to cover the tgrease tray with heavy duty aluminum foil will extend the life of it.
Got the Wifi model so I do believe I should have the two piece.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1803 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
This is my favorite and super easy smoked salmon recipe:

Apr 15, 2018
3 posts
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could share if they purchased a cover for their GMG that was made by a different company to save some $. We have the Daniel Boone model.

Thanks for your help.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
ToDealHunter wrote: This is my favorite and super easy smoked salmon recipe:

I made these and put in a briosh bun with red onion, tomato, avocado and for the sauce dill with mayonnaise and lemon. It was mind blowing.

Does anybody know where to get wood pellets for cheap? The cheapest I found is pit boss competition blend at wallmart for 30bucks instead of 40.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1803 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
haybecky wrote: Hello, I was wondering if anyone could share if they purchased a cover for their GMG that was made by a different company to save some $. We have the Daniel Boone model.

Thanks for your help.
Hi, for the last 4 years I being using a Hickory brand cover for my Daniel Boone, is now need to be replace but unfortunate it seems discontinued at amazon where I originally got it for $25.

https://www.amazon.ca/Classic-Accessori ... B004UQQNHE

Costco is selling a Grill Chef Polyester BBQ cover for $19.99. It does not have the chimney cut but it will make the trick.
Apr 8, 2010
812 posts
462 upvotes
toronto
TripleHelix wrote: Got the Wifi model so I do believe I should have the two piece.
GMG changed the grease tray recently. I think starting in Feb or March of this year they went back to the 1 piece grease tray. I have the 2 and i wish I had the one piece.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
denti72 wrote: GMG changed the grease tray recently. I think starting in Feb or March of this year they went back to the 1 piece grease tray. I have the 2 and i wish I had the one piece.
Yea that's what they told me. I did have a bent grill grate as well and they sent me a new set in the mail. Very happy with their Customer Service at this point.
Jul 28, 2007
110 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I'm starting my research, GMG seems to be the favorite so far. I currently have a Weber smokey mountain and it works well but with 2 kids not having to constantly watch it would be nice. Price and temp accuracy are my main concerns but it seems most of the big names are all very similar in price. Traeger seems to be a little off for temp accuracy but I know it still works well. It's just my desire to have the best/most accurate as possible.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2758 posts
858 upvotes
Whitby
xtreme88 wrote: I'm starting my research, GMG seems to be the favorite so far. I currently have a Weber smokey mountain and it works well but with 2 kids not having to constantly watch it would be nice. Price and temp accuracy are my main concerns but it seems most of the big names are all very similar in price. Traeger seems to be a little off for temp accuracy but I know it still works well. It's just my desire to have the best/most accurate as possible.
Check out PitBoss. They have a selection of different sizes and waaaaaayyyyy less than a traeger.
I have a kamado (their version of the big green egg) and I go all out on it every weekend.
If....when....I get a pellet grill it will definitely be a PitBoss (available at Lowes etc.)
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Jun 23, 2019
11 posts
5 upvotes
New Brunswick
Heya, I live close to US border - is there any issue getting these in USA and bringing across?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3571 posts
2935 upvotes
GTA
Anyone have a place in getting cheap pellets ? Preferbably in the GTA ?

Walmart.ca has 40 lbs for $29.98, saw a place on Kijiji that had 40 lbs for $20 (no tax), but it's actually a wood floring place ?!?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1772 posts
484 upvotes
Montreal
What do you guys think of this pitboss from costco
820fbc at $550

I'm looking for a decent pellet grill
Images
  • IMG_20200311_191853.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)