Investing

Official Penny Stock Day Trade / Swing Trade / Short Term

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 1:48 pm
Mar 12, 2017
832 posts
798 upvotes
Everything is going way up ahead of the speech... Didn't expect that.
Last edited by leolozon on Dec 15th, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
Fed doubles pace of tapering, warms up to rate hikes in 2022 as inflationary pressures rise
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/fed-f ... 42164.html

Yahoo Finance
Fed doubles pace of tapering, warms up to rate hikes in 2022 as inflationary pressures rise
Brian Cheung
Brian Cheung·Reporter
Wed., December 15, 2021, 2:00 p.m.

The Federal Reserve announced that it would move more quickly to pare back its pandemic-era easy money policies as Fed officials grow concerned about the persistence of inflationary pressures.

On Wednesday, the policy-setting Federal Open Market Committee said it would double the pace by which it winds down its asset purchase program.

The FOMC also signaled a strong likelihood of an interest rate hike next year, which would be the first since the central bank slashed short-term borrowing costs to near-zero in March 2020.

Since the depths of the pandemic, the Fed has added trillions of dollars in U.S. Treasuries and agency mortgage-backed securities to signal its support for financing conditions. The Fed had set a course in November to “taper” the pace of those aggregate purchases by $15 billion per month, and will now double that pace — to $30 billion per month.

“In light of inflation developments and the further improvement in the labor market, the Committee decided to reduce the monthly pace of its net asset purchases by $20 billion for Treasury securities and $10 billion for agency mortgage-backed securities,” the FOMC statement reads.

The new pacing would bring all asset purchases to a full stop by March 2022, faster than the course set forth in November that originally sought to end purchases by the middle of next year.

The decision was unanimously agreed to.

A quicker taper would allow the Fed to move earlier — and perhaps more aggressively — on interest rate hikes. All of the 18 members of the FOMC said they could see the case for at least one rate hike next year, a noticeable revision up from September projections showing a 50-50 split on a 2022 rate hike.

The updated dot plots, which map out each of the FOMC members’ projections for where rates will be in coming years, shows the median member of the committee projecting three rate hikes next year, another three or four in 2023, and another one or two in 2024.

Those projections suggest a more aggressive rate hike path than the last round of dot plots in September, likely rooted in FOMC members’ growing concerns over inflation.

“Supply and demand imbalances related to the pandemic and the reopening of the economy have contributed to elevated levels of inflation,” the FOMC statement said.

The median member of the committee sees personal consumption expenditures, the Fed’s preferred measure of inflation, clocking in at 2.6% in 2022 (compared to 2.2% in the Fed’s September projections).

Raising rates (and thus, borrowing costs) could have the effect of dampening underlying demand in the economy.

The Fed may also feel more comfortable raising rates given progress in the labor market, where November jobs data showed the headline unemployment rate falling to 4.2%. The Fed now sees the unemployment rate ending 2022 at 3.5%, a sharp improvement over the Fed’s September projection of 3.8%.

The FOMC statement says Omicron and other new variants remain risks to the economic outlook.

The next FOMC meeting is scheduled to take place Jan. 25 and 26.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19154 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
hebsie wrote: ????

I see green
SPY had a huge red 1m candle right at 2PM before shooting up. The SPY put bid/ask spread I was playing went from 0.02 to like 0.4 before settling down.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Mar 12, 2017
832 posts
798 upvotes
JKCanada wrote: Because the press release is out:
https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetary ... 1215a1.pdf

Interest staying as is, sees 3 interest rate hikes next year
Reduction in monthly bond purchasing as expected
While the market is happy that inflation is taking cared off, faster hike means that valuations aren't going to be the same, right? The market seems overjoyed with this.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
GLXY up $2.50 off the low

Crackhead stock Astonished Face
Nov 30, 2017
469 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
leolozon wrote: While the market is happy that inflation is taking care off, faster hike means that valuations aren't going to be the same, right? The market seems overjoyed with this.
The algos seemed overjoyed, the first 5 minutes are their battleground. This always happen, a spike and a flush down to give most of it back, or vise versa. It's taking place right now. My reaction is this was all already expected, I don't see us putting a lower low today, but let's wait for the whole market participants to make their moves Smiling Face With Open Mouth.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2018
2725 posts
2535 upvotes
leolozon wrote: While the market is happy that inflation is taking cared off, faster hike means that valuations aren't going to be the same, right? The market seems overjoyed with this.
It's like the dot com bubble. they said a higher interest rate didn't matter. they said this is the new market paradigm.
NOT A WOMAN. JUST GOT A WEIRD NAME. I AM A MAN. THANKS.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
geokilla wrote: SPY had a huge red 1m candle right at 2PM before shooting up. The SPY put bid/ask spread I was playing went from 0.02 to like 0.4 before settling down.
Buy them back, here we go the other way now!

Kidding ;)
Aug 13, 2019
547 posts
349 upvotes
Oh glxy, what a ride, I kept moving my bid down, was 21.8 originally Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
Wpgguy86 wrote: Oh glxy, what a ride, I kept moving my bid down, was 21.8 originally Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Did you buy more today??

I still think we are down more, before heading up

Hope to be wrong though

That was a $5k swing there, and now back down $1k for me
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
Sold small profit for PSQ at 11.15. good news. Small caps have some time to rocket!
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
Zom and mvis moving now.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
Powell says he accepts the presence of crypto. BTC is gonna go back.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1055 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto
Watch like I said before, BTC will start to go soon coming towards the new year
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
Bought Galaxy 23.80. let's go back to $40 lol
Aug 13, 2019
547 posts
349 upvotes
hebsie wrote: Did you buy more today??

I still think we are down more, before heading up

Hope to be wrong though

That was a $5k swing there, and now back down $1k for me
I chickened out, im in it pretty heavy still. I did manage to snag vsby at .99c somehow (plz be bottom)
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6385 upvotes
Vancouver
faken wrote: Powell says he accepts the presence of crypto. BTC is gonna go back.
Yeah, all crypto is showing green now
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6385 upvotes
Vancouver
NBVA.V presentation - over 95-99% effective against ransomware, should be ready for deployment in January. up 10% now

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)