• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2022 1:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
10976 posts
9174 upvotes
Winnipeg
Seeing some of the price actions today is quiet hilarious. Going forward I think I'm going to solely invest heavily into one/two stocks and focus on basically momentum and hype. The company must have positive cash flow though. The rest of my money is going to be in indexing. I've started a position already and slowly adding to it every dip.

I have honestly been thinking to myself.. if I took out all my cash and put it all into cidm at .93- .96.. three weeks ago I could have made bank. I already my funds to 4-5.. going forward I'm doing 2 max now. Easier DCA and more time and research.
10k-15k for each stock should be enough.

I'm still holding all the ones I have. Mvis, bft, CHR, Fort, CIDM, KODK, 1 GME.

How many stocks is everyone else holding.. I'm curious now?
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Mar 17, 2020
381 posts
418 upvotes
faken wrote:

50 (stocks, etfs, spacs, reits, gold)
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2486 upvotes
Under 20. All loser. Sell as soon as it recover. Can be a long time.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8437 posts
5296 upvotes
Vancouver
Made a small play in lithium with ULTH

"United recently acquired the rights to their Bergby project in Sweden, and it’s put them in the perfect location for the rising industry.

They’re located near the world famous Woxna graphite mine…

And they’re also close to the new Northvolt lithium battery gigafactory in Sweden."

https://www.valuethemarkets.com/2021/02 ... hium-boom/
Oct 22, 2017
212 posts
296 upvotes
30 split up into stocks and ETFs.

Majority of the portfolio is in index ETFs (VUN, VFV, XEC, VEE) and boring blue chips/dividend stocks (CM, FTS, AQN, T, BAM, ENB, ENG, AAPL, MSFT, V, AMD, WMT) and then my riskier plays (LAC, WWR, UGE, KODK, SFT, ARKG, ARKF, QBTC)

I have no idea if I'm doing it the right way as it's kind of a hodgepodge of indexing, dividend investing and yoloing lol but I sleep alright. I'm in my early 30s so have lots of time to recover in case the portfolio gets wrecked
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3948 posts
4083 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
faken wrote: Seeing some of the price actions today is quiet hilarious. Going forward I think I'm going to solely invest heavily into one/two stocks and focus on basically momentum and hype. The company must have positive cash flow though. The rest of my money is going to be in indexing. I've started a position already and slowly adding to it every dip.

I have honestly been thinking to myself.. if I took out all my cash and put it all into cidm at .93- .96.. three weeks ago I could have made bank. I already my funds to 4-5.. going forward I'm doing 2 max now. Easier DCA and more time and research.

My portfolio is pretty small and mostly money I can afford to lose. 50% CHR and then in order of amount is AUP.TO, CIDM, KALA, FORT. I closed some positions last week in companies that I didn't really believe in and trimmed it down to stuff I'm OK with holding through red days.

Long term plan is to put the majority of my money in VEQT or VGRO (haven't decided between the two), so I don't have to think about it and then will keep some aside to play/gamble with lol.

This checking stocks constantly is fun now with WFH and not being that busy, but when work picks up I need something I can just set & forget.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1048 posts
917 upvotes
Toronto
faken wrote: Seeing some of the price actions today is quiet hilarious. Going forward I think I'm going to solely invest heavily into one/two stocks and focus on basically momentum and hype. The company must have positive cash flow though. The rest of my money is going to be in indexing. I've started a position already and slowly adding to it every dip.

I basically did that last summer with Sea, just threw 10k USD that time and it’s worked out well far. But I will say that it keeps me watching the price movements having a large amount in one stock haha. I’ve held through all the ups and downs that’s for sure especially with the volatility lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1602 upvotes
Alliston, ON
faken wrote: How many stocks is everyone else holding.. I'm curious now?
CWRK, FORT, THMO, GIGM, NDA, VISM, ICBU and 1 GME
Aug 13, 2019
546 posts
349 upvotes
I think faken is dead on. I got into a bunch of stuff from twitter recommendations, but if you don't research it and have conviction, it's paper hands all the way, I can hold and average down the good stuff. I bought dss and ssnt from twitter hype, sold them at open, no belief
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
2925 posts
404 upvotes
Mississauga

Hey curious when did you dump ATH?
Jan 27, 2017
230 posts
538 upvotes
faken wrote:
Order from highest to lowest portfolio weight:
CHR,LAC, TD, PLTR, ARKG, POAI, GMA

I may start indexing the day I unload all my CHR, hoping that day is somewhere in the 12-18 month range.

But for now, I prefer to have the majority of my portfolio weight on 1-2 stocks I have the highest conviction in... if these go as I envision, I can start indexing and take a bit of the stress off from checking and researching all the time
Jun 7, 2018
22 posts
7 upvotes
faken wrote: How many stocks is everyone else holding.. I'm curious now?
Just started my relatively small trading accounts in January, while 80% of my funds are scattered in a couple of portfolios built up through many years.
I only have 10 in my trading accounts. 2 are long term, 2 are for swing trades and the remaining ones are bag holding mistakes early on while learning this whole trading exercise. One rule I have developed for myself from barely 3 months of experience is not holding positions overnight, unless there is conviction for a longer term (swing trade). I'll eventually move most of my other funds into my trading accounts. However I will hold most of them in some index funds and cash, while I get more proficient at day and swing trading.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2013
1357 posts
734 upvotes
WATERLOO
I have 70% of my savings in a roboadvisor TFSA and RRSP to set it and forget so i don't mess around.
The remainder i have in RRSP and TFSA account for gambling stocks like GME, KODK, MVIS, CIDM,FORT,CSTR
Cash account has my OTC plays HCMC and AABB
Nov 27, 2019
54 posts
71 upvotes
AAPL, DIS, CP, SU, SAM, and V make up the bulk of my portfolio. Small amount of this threads favourites MVIS, FORT, LNK, LAC. I started off roughly 5 years ago indexing but I found myself enjoying a more hands on approach so I abandoned it. Perhaps at some point when life gets busier I’ll go back to indexing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
10976 posts
9174 upvotes
Winnipeg
Haris wrote: Hey curious when did you dump ATH?
too early.. i got in at .475.. and i dumped it at around .52:s.. that was all used to go into CHR when it was around $3.55 and i bought more of chr.. sold CHR early too at $4.05 and it ran up to 5 lmao in 2 weeks after.
Aug 13, 2019
546 posts
349 upvotes
Abnb, Etsy, pins, mvis, fivrr, lac, chr, uamy, fort, dmgi, NDA in rough order plus a few odds and ends from twitter. It's too much though, will be a major jir headache if not working from home
Dec 26, 2008
840 posts
557 upvotes
It's hard though..It's a very tough market. Looking back, in April 2020, you just bought anything and held and it generally went up. Now we are looking at nonstop sideways action. Market up then market down.

1) 1 moment Coronavirus is "gone", we got a Vaccine now! Back to normal life in July!...then all of a sudden we got a variant, vaccine not working, Germany back in lockdown. Despite this the XBI (Biotech) index has been a poor performer recently.

2) Speaking of Biotech..every morning there's some biotech most people never heard of that's up like 200% in premarket. They got a partnership with so and so. They developed some new vaccine or whatever and then by noon, they are back below the closing price from the previous day. Biotech needs to develop a stress related drug to deal with Biotech. lol.

3) FOMO, Electric Vehicles, Recovery Plays, NFTs, Bitcoin, Marijuana, Mushrooms, I'm probably missing something. But if you bought any of these at the wrong moment you are now down a serious amount of money.

4) Market not reacting properly to fundamentals..some companies reporting great earnings and not going up, even going down steadily.

5) interest rates are ok now, everything is under control. USA will not raise rates. Then next thing you know Nasdaq way down because rates jumped in the early morning. Interest rates are looming and unpredictable. Inflation looming. Tax increases for corporations looming.

Sooner or later people are just going to get tired of this. If there was some other investment that wasn't way overpriced and reasonably safe, market would have tanked by now. Market trying to be propped up because there is nothing else, not going to work much longer I fear.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
10976 posts
9174 upvotes
Winnipeg
Wpgguy86 wrote: I think faken is dead on. I got into a bunch of stuff from twitter recommendations, but if you don't research it and have conviction, it's paper hands all the way, I can hold and average down the good stuff. I bought dss and ssnt from twitter hype, sold them at open, no belief
yep and honestly, for me.. it's about quantity and having 5000+ shares of one thing so if it moves a couple cents it's 100's in profit. The sweet spot for the stocks i want to pick now are from .50-1.50. I think those are the ones that if you get in early.. you have easily have a good time to DCA or swing trade.

The point of me adding to indexes now is to literally keep myself from spending the money Face With Tears Of Joy. I'm probably not going to swing trade any CDN stocks anymore either.. Just looking at the BTC stock counter parts.. FORT got left behind.. US Market is the largest market in the world.. gotta play with the big boys.. plus.. those guys are way more crazy Face With Tears Of Joy.

Thank you all for posting. Looks like a bunch of stuff had recovered today.

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 3 guests)

canadiancynosure, infiniiight, kkl1208, Keoki2, JetLi