• Nov 9th, 2011 2:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
2860 posts
581 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: I own a Nexus S.

Well the Samsung phones I mean to reference to was the Captivate and GS2. I was unclear :)

Another note, I will be trying CM soon I'll see how I like it. I liked Firefly initially but now my camera doesn't go into record mode.
Jun 19, 2009
989 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
Well I dug up supercurio's modded stock Rogers Froyo kernel with his voodoo lagfix injected (link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=963820 ) so hopefully the great battery life I had when I was on the stock Rogers Froyo comes back + I get the benefits of an Ext4 lag fix.

I've always been a little hesitant to shy too far away from stock since I read lots of the roms had broken features here and there. I caved and just got the bare minimum required for Ext4 lag fixes by flashing kernels, but battery life drop was a shocker :( Keeping my fingers crossed that this works as planned.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4993 posts
2623 upvotes
GTA
geokilla wrote: I don't get what's the deal with CyanogenMod. A lot of people on XDA don't like it... Is it that buggy? I'm using Mosiac (Gingerbread) developed by Team Phoenix on XDA and it's not as refined as FireFly, but it's still good for everyday use. If you want absolute stability and not mess with anything else though, I'd still suggest using FireFly.
CyanogenMod strips some functionality away from the phone that casual users like, also the battery life is pretty terrible on it for the time being. And because of the battery life i just switched to a samsung gingerbread rom, i find these roms even more buggy than cm7, i went through 3 roms so far(symply/continiuum/apex) because either they were randomly rebooting or a battery icon wasn't updating, haven't tried mosaic yet but i just might.

sleither wrote: Question for those of you using CM7 on your Captivate....which modem are you running? I've installed the latest nightly of CM7 and love it, but my Speedtest results are in the toilet. Curious to hear what you guys are running! Cheers.

I was using jk4, hit a peak of 6mpbs down and 3mpbs up.
Oct 17, 2010
148 posts
29 upvotes
Halifax
Thanks Shabby, I'll give JK4 a shot when I get the time. My speeds with JL3 have dramatically improved. They're now back to where I was on stock, not sure what the issue was the other night but it seems to have worked itself out. Sadly not seeing anywhere near your speeds out here in NS though. Back to about 800 down / 1200 up...when I asked the other night I was getting 300 down / 200 up.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I'm using the Rogers stock Froyo. I've been loving the WiFi Mobile AP/hotspot feature - seem to barely use my wife's 3g stick - but the phone seems to turn this off randomly. Sometimes it's after a few minutes, sometime the mobile AP will be running for a lot longer.

Has anybody experienced this ? Is there a log somewhere that I can look at it to see what might be going on ?
Oct 17, 2010
148 posts
29 upvotes
Halifax
I've only used the Mobile AP for short periods of time (5-20m) but I haven't seen any issues in that time.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
sleither wrote: I've only used the Mobile AP for short periods of time (5-20m) but I haven't seen any issues in that time.
The worst part of this problem is that it's not consistent. There's no one activity that will cause Mobile AP to disconnect, and there's no set period of time after which it happens. It's very aggravating.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9625 posts
2603 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe it has something to do with WiFi sleep policy? It sorta is a WiFi thing so the settings might be related, whats your wifi sleep policy set to?
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
Ok so firefly seems pretty good so far. Has anyone tried cognition 4.x? (the latest). Am tempted to try it because of the touchwiz launcher.

Any recommendations for a touchwiz integrated custom rom with a bln,uv/oc, and voodoo fixes kernel?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2009
8403 posts
2425 upvotes
Toronto
sorry - anyone know how to screen capture on the S? I am running Gingerbread. When I ran Froyo it was a simple "back" and "home" press, now...

:confused:
No Signature
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12980 posts
11822 upvotes
My Captivate is rooted and unlocked. Do I need to remove them before upgrade to Gingerbread 2.3?

jamesfitzgibbon, how is the lag on the Gingerbread?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2009
8403 posts
2425 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote: My Captivate is rooted and unlocked. Do I need to remove them before upgrade to Gingerbread 2.3?

jamesfitzgibbon, how is the lag on the Gingerbread?

I don't notice much lag at all - but I'm not one who would notice it in any event, sorry. :(
No Signature