PC & Video Games

Official Sony Playstation 5 Thread - Nov. 12 Launch, $499/$629

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 8:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
630 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…

Official Sony Playstation 5 Thread - Nov. 12 Launch, $499/$629

Link to tweet.
General Info:

The official name is PlayStation 5.

Releasing Holidays 2020.

Ray tracing support is hardware-based.

New SSD will help boot times, loading times and streaming.

The controller now has adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, new speakers, USB Type-C.

Physical games for the console will use 100 GB optical disks.

Optical drive also acts as a 4k Blu-ray player.

Additional Info

The dev kits (which were leaked) are actually real and developers have access to them.

A new modular approach to storing data. Finer grain access to data, as opposed to big blocks. Ex: Users might have the ability to install only Multiplayer components of the game.

Completely revamped UI.

The new controller will have a larger battery capacity and will be a bit heavier than Dualshock 4.

Haptic feedback for PS4 Pro's Dual Shock 4 could have been implemented, but was decided against.

Bluepoint studios (folks behind the Shadow of the Colossus remaster) are working on a "big" PS5 title.

The GPU has been used to power Machine learning.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
1431 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9727 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
More importantly, I wonder what the launch titles will be. It was inFamous that got me to pick up a ps4 back in the day.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4568 posts
1680 upvotes
Ajax
willdacanucker wrote: Link to tweet.
General Info:

The official name is PlayStation 5.

Releasing Holidays 2020.

Ray tracing support is hardware-based.

New SSD will help boot times, loading times and streaming.

The controller now has adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, new speakers, USB Type-C.

Physical games for the console will use 100 GB optical disks.

Optical drive also acts as a 4k Blu-ray player.

Additional Info

The dev kits (which were leaked) are actually real and developers have access to them.

A new modular approach to storing data. Finer grain access to data, as opposed to big blocks. Ex: Users might have the ability to install only Multiplayer components of the game.

Completely revamped UI.

The new controller will have a larger battery capacity and will be a bit heavier than Dualshock 4.

Haptic feedback for PS4 Pro's Dual Shock 4 could have been implemented, but was decided against.

Bluepoint studios (folks behind the Shadow of the Colossus remaster) are working on a "big" PS5 title.

The GPU has been used to power Machine learning.
So basically a PC.

Playstation 5, no. Thought it would be called Picadela Bravia. lol

New UI? About time. 8 years too old.

Haptic feedback? Maybe. But there are features of Dualshock 4 that many developers never used. Some were used quite well. Again comes down to the development team.

They should have made the reveal at E3 2019 with some games to get people excited.

What about Dolby vision and HDR support? Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support?

Of course someone is working on a "Big title".

As previous console reveal history would suggest, all of these wonderful specs do not mean sh*t unless the experience in the gamer's hand changes from one generation to the next. And of course the games themselves. What will the new hardware bring? Some new fresh ideas or the same recycled crap we have had for most part for the last generation and a half.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4568 posts
1680 upvotes
Ajax
zod wrote: More importantly, I wonder what the launch titles will be. It was inFamous that got me to pick up a ps4 back in the day.
True but wasn't that a bit after initial launch? I remember Knack being the hype train and then a big pile of feces on launch day. Launch software is rarely ground breaking. Some exceptions over the years: Halo (Xbox), Super Mario World (N64), Zelda & Mario Odyssey (Switch), Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3), NFL 2K & Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) Ridge Raaaaaceeerrrr (PSOne). lol
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
7876 posts
2730 upvotes
Grimsby
mrtvgame wrote: So basically a PC.

Playstation 5, no. Thought it would be called Picadela Bravia. lol

New UI? About time. 8 years too old.

Haptic feedback? Maybe. But there are features of Dualshock 4 that many developers never used. Some were used quite well. Again comes down to the development team.

They should have made the reveal at E3 2019 with some games to get people excited.

What about Dolby vision and HDR support? Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support?

Of course someone is working on a "Big title".

As previous console reveal history would suggest, all of these wonderful specs do not mean sh*t unless the experience in the gamer's hand changes from one generation to the next. And of course the games themselves. What will the new hardware bring? Some new fresh ideas or the same recycled crap we have had for most part for the last generation and a half.
Sheesh man. The hardware stuff is all welcome news to me. I am skeptical about consoles doing raytracing well but the rest is gold. Just the load time improvements alone would be hugely welcome. I played some of the best games of all time this generation so I'm not sure where the recycled crap comment comes from either. Every single console generation has recycled crap but its the standout games that matter and we had some amazing ones.

The only silly part of it I don't care about is the speakers in the controllers, just don't even bother with that nonsense it was never implemented well.
Member
User avatar
Dec 28, 2017
227 posts
260 upvotes
Calgary
tbh id rather have 60 fps than raytracing
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4406 posts
1368 upvotes
Toronto
willdacanucker wrote: Bluepoint studios (folks behind the Shadow of the Colossus remaster) are working on a "big" PS5 title.
Are they basically hinting that they're doing a Shadow of the Colossus sequel or something?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Sr. Member
Nov 26, 2013
661 posts
521 upvotes
Winnipeg
With backwards compatibility (even if only PS4) and 4k Blu-ray playback, this will be a day one buy for me. I'll be keeping an eye out for trade in promotions at EB.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5380 posts
1025 upvotes
calgary
I feel like most of this stuff was already kind of known or could be easily predicted but I guess its nice to get confirmation. I'm still not sold yet on whether I need these new consoles day one but I won't know until I see any games or features actually being shown off whether its worth it or not.

The one thing I'm a bit nervous about is with the UI, I hope if they are building them from scratch again that we don't have to wait months/years for quality life features that were standard place in the previous generation like what happened with this generation.

Also I hope controllers are forwards/backwards compatible.
Haptic feedback (and more importantly better battery life) sounds great but not at the expense of having to re-buy controllers. The current iterations are already pretty great.
mrtvgame wrote: So basically a PC.

Playstation 5, no. Thought it would be called Picadela Bravia. lol

New UI? About time. 8 years too old.

Haptic feedback? Maybe. But there are features of Dualshock 4 that many developers never used. Some were used quite well. Again comes down to the development team.

They should have made the reveal at E3 2019 with some games to get people excited.

What about Dolby vision and HDR support? Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support?

Of course someone is working on a "Big title".

As previous console reveal history would suggest, all of these wonderful specs do not mean sh*t unless the experience in the gamer's hand changes from one generation to the next. And of course the games themselves. What will the new hardware bring? Some new fresh ideas or the same recycled crap we have had for most part for the last generation and a half.
LOL, you always come off so angry about this stuff.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4568 posts
1680 upvotes
Ajax
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I feel like most of this stuff was already kind of known or could be easily predicted but I guess its nice to get confirmation. I'm still not sold yet on whether I need these new consoles day one but I won't know until I see any games or features actually being shown off whether its worth it or not.

The one thing I'm a bit nervous about is with the UI, I hope if they are building them from scratch again that we don't have to wait months/years for quality life features that were standard place in the previous generation like what happened with this generation.

Also I hope controllers are forwards/backwards compatible.
Haptic feedback (and more importantly better battery life) sounds great but not at the expense of having to re-buy controllers. The current iterations are already pretty great.



LOL, you always come off so angry about this stuff.
Yeah, because I am old and have been at this for a very long time (over 40 years). So I have pretty much seen it all. The "king" has changed hands many times. Some of the best times were during the late 80's into the early 90's where Sega and Nintendo went head to head like a bad political campaign debate.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4568 posts
1680 upvotes
Ajax
Redmask wrote: Sheesh man. The hardware stuff is all welcome news to me. I am skeptical about consoles doing raytracing well but the rest is gold. Just the load time improvements alone would be hugely welcome. I played some of the best games of all time this generation so I'm not sure where the recycled crap comment comes from either. Every single console generation has recycled crap but its the standout games that matter and we had some amazing ones.

The only silly part of it I don't care about is the speakers in the controllers, just don't even bother with that nonsense it was never implemented well.
You're kidding right? How many remakes did we get this generation? RECYCLED CRAP.

As I mentioned above, been around for many years of this, so the BS reveals do not get me too excited any more. Each generation is less and less overwhelming. Might be the ages where we ae hitting performance walls.
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
7876 posts
2730 upvotes
Grimsby
mrtvgame wrote: You're kidding right? How many remakes did we get this generation? RECYCLED CRAP.

As I mentioned above, been around for many years of this, so the BS reveals do not get me too excited any more. Each generation is less and less overwhelming. Might be the ages where we ae hitting performance walls.
You're not the only person who has been gaming for a long time. We had some of the highest reviewed games of all time this generation but ok man, whatever. I'm happy I still have enthusiasm for this hobby instead of negativity and cynicism. And there are very real improvements in framerates and load times that would be super welcome to me, not to mention out of the box backwards compatibility which helps smooth over the launch period.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7942 posts
4559 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like a pretty standard press release and nothing really jumps out at me at this point. To be honest this past generation and the PS4 especially really ruined the allure of consoles for me and I don't see them breaking any new ground with the PS5. The days of being blown away by console launches the way I was with the 360, PS3 and Wii are long gone and there's only so much you can do at the expected console price point.

The PS4 for me has been a generally underwhelming experience carried entirely on the strength of exclusives, a few of which I enjoyed but still found them all extremely overrated and none would make my list of favorite games from the past 5 years most of which are multiplatform releases best played PC. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't buy a PS4 early or spend much on its games over the years. As we move into 2020 I just don't see myself getting excited about another mediocre walled garden experience carried by more overrated exclusives.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4406 posts
1368 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I feel like most of this stuff was already kind of known or could be easily predicted but I guess its nice to get confirmation. I'm still not sold yet on whether I need these new consoles day one but I won't know until I see any games or features actually being shown off whether its worth it or not.

The one thing I'm a bit nervous about is with the UI, I hope if they are building them from scratch again that we don't have to wait months/years for quality life features that were standard place in the previous generation like what happened with this generation.

Also I hope controllers are forwards/backwards compatible.
Haptic feedback (and more importantly better battery life) sounds great but not at the expense of having to re-buy controllers. The current iterations are already pretty great.
Yeah, the hardware stuff has been leaked multiple times, and those of us who listen to podcasts are probably already aware of all that stuff. Like you, I'm very on the fence about making the jump. I don't even own a 4K TV, and Ray Tracing, while awesome, isn't a deal breaker.

I went with PS4 first this gen as a day 1 purchase, but if I decide to be an early adopter, I will likely go Xbox first for next gen since I've got like 2 years of Gamepass Ultimate queued up... and I'm guessing MS is banking on all of us who did the upgrade to do the same.
Last edited by M1GOmigs on Oct 8th, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
7876 posts
2730 upvotes
Grimsby
Backwards compatibility and the promise of Sony's stellar first party catalog has me on board day one for PS5. I'll play whatever the good launch titles are and keep cleaning up my old library.

Microsoft really burned me this gen so I'm waiting to see what they have to offer.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)