Official Sony Playstation 5 Thread - Nov. 12 Launch, $519/$649

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2024 9:51 am
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1962 posts
1140 upvotes
Nova Scotia
nucker wrote: What do you guys think are the odds that Sony updates to support 1440P? I know most console users will game on TV’s but man it blows to be stuck with a 1440P monitor that the PS5 isn’t optimized for.
I am in the same situation as you. I am currently playing my PS5 on a 1080p plasma until they support my BenQ monitor. Not sure how to get Sony to support 1440p since they stated they would implement if there was enough people asking for it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8662 upvotes
GTA
nucker wrote: What do you guys think are the odds that Sony updates to support 1440P? I know most console users will game on TV’s but man it blows to be stuck with a 1440P monitor that the PS5 isn’t optimized for.
Sony said they would look into it, whatever that means. My personal take is that they didn't include it because 1440p is a PC monitor resolution, not a typical TV resolution. Sony has a more vested interest in selling you a TV than a PC monitor...
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
BernardRyder wrote: Sony said they would look into it, whatever that means. My personal take is that they didn't include it because 1440p is a PC monitor resolution, not a typical TV resolution. Sony has a more vested interest in selling you a TV than a PC monitor...
They never bothered to do with the PS4Pro so they may just do the same here.

However I feel like the demand here is probably higher and Sony will add it eventually.
I'd think given the power/price proposition there are probably a few people buying these to replace an older PC, plus with 120hz support being readily available on cheapish monitors and exclusive to only high end TV's that just may be the preferred way to play for a lot people.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Insomniac really are magician.

RT at an incredibly stable 60fps that look that good is insane.

I hope they'll help every other Sony studio to achieve greatness!

Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
Just a little warning in case others were clueless like me.

So.... I've had my PS5 since launch day and It was only today I discovered that the controller has a built in microphone. I hate wearing headsets and when we play anything Co-Op as a family on different consoles I always take mine of 20 minutes in as I can't stand them. Discovered today the controller has a built in microphone when my daughter and son who were both in different parts of the house on different systems heard my wife tell me something that wasn't meant for other ears.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: Just a little warning in case others were clueless like me.

So.... I've had my PS5 since launch day and It was only today I discovered that the controller has a built in microphone. I hate wearing headsets and when we play anything Co-Op as a family on different consoles I always take mine of 20 minutes in as I can't stand them. Discovered today the controller has a built in microphone when my daughter and son who were both in different parts of the house on different systems heard my wife tell me something that wasn't meant for other ears.
Naughty naughty Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga

The default settings will also record your voice when the PS5 records video for your trophies as well. So when you finally beat that difficult boss in Demon's Souls, the recorded video will include you screaming "YAAAAAAASSSS!!!!". Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5909 upvotes
You can disable the microphone by pressing the button once so that it turns orange or in the settings options.

Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1311 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: You can disable the microphone by pressing the button once so that it turns orange or in the settings options.
Thanks, I knew that but I wasn't aware that once you removed the headset it still operated as a microphone. I assumed once I removed the headset from the controller it stopped working, just like the PS4
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1983 posts
794 upvotes
Kitchener
question, I bought the new FIFA 21 for PS4. Considering that I have both the PS4 and PS5, should I initially install it in the PS4 so that then I can use it as a digital derision on PS5 by downloading it from my library? How would that work?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5909 upvotes
You are supposed to get a free upgrade for FIFA automatically. Just make sure you download the correct version on the PS5
and not the last-gen version.

https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/fifa-21/n ... lement-faq

peelhic wrote: question, I bought the new FIFA 21 for PS4. Considering that I have both the PS4 and PS5, should I initially install it in the PS4 so that then I can use it as a digital derision on PS5 by downloading it from my library? How would that work?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London
Playing immortals now. What a charming game. I like botw but I might prefer this due to Greek mythology.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
peelhic wrote: question, I bought the new FIFA 21 for PS4. Considering that I have both the PS4 and PS5, should I initially install it in the PS4 so that then I can use it as a digital derision on PS5 by downloading it from my library? How would that work?
If you have the disc version, I'm pretty sure you still need the disc to play it on the PS5, even though you're downloading the PS5 edition entirely from the store.
Oct 11, 2007
388 posts
354 upvotes
Playing Valhalla on PS5 and LG CX OLED, seems to have trouble keeping up 60fps gameplay, 60fps 4k no way.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
I'm having fun with Valhalla on PS5, despite it being a little unpolished.

I'm a big fan of how the franchise evolved into an open world action RPG. I put over 100 hours in Odyssey (only other games I put over 100 hours in the last five years is Persona 5 and Animal Crossing: New Horizons).

Watch Dogs Legion is okay. Looks and plays great on PS5, though its locked at 30 fps. Not having a single protagonist hurts this game. I also wish it had more RPG elements like other Ubisoft games.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
RiftOfChaos wrote: Playing immortals now. What a charming game. I like botw but I might prefer this due to Greek mythology.
I didn't know about this game. I like Action/Adventure/Hack N' Slash games. Playing Godfall right now which I'm quite enjoying. I might have to add this one next on my list.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5909 upvotes
Late but Digital Foundry finally does a feature on the 60 FPS mode on PS5 for Ghost of Tsushima (PS4):

By comparison PS4 Pro runs the game at mostly a locked consistent 30 FPS and PS4 regular runs at about 27-28 frames per second on average.

Some other PS4 games like God of War, Assassin's Creed Unity and The Last Guardian support 60 frames per second on PS5 if you
play it from the disc version without installing the latest patch updates. Otherwise, developers have to manually go back and add patches to PS4 games
to support 60 frames per second if the game does not natively support such a mode already.

ResetEra's list of PS4 games and their enhancements on PS5 via backwards compatibility.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-ba ... ts.322747/

Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
928 upvotes
Had a PS5 since launch and thinking about going back to my PS4 Pro for the time being.

It feels like a huge waste of money to have a PS5 just to play warzone when my PS4 played it just fine. I got caught up in the moment at the time and wanted a new/shiny toy. But now that the devs have basically ruined warzone, I'm less interested in the game and have been barely using the console for anything.

Anyone else downgrade? The one thing I will definitely miss is the PS5 controller, but I'll be fine after some adjusting.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
idontwantausername wrote: Had a PS5 since launch and thinking about going back to my PS4 Pro for the time being.

It feels like a huge waste of money to have a PS5 just to play warzone when my PS4 played it just fine. I got caught up in the moment at the time and wanted a new/shiny toy. But now that the devs have basically ruined warzone, I'm less interested in the game and have been barely using the console for anything.

Anyone else downgrade? The one thing I will definitely miss is the PS5 controller, but I'll be fine after some adjusting.
If your PS5 is not getting much use and you don't think you will be using it much this year. It's a good time to sell it.

I think I could speak for most people on this sub...we are either playing PS4 games on our PS5 or launch PS5 games, while waiting for new content later this year.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5909 upvotes
Maybe if that is the one and only game that you play.

I use my PS5s to play all of my PS5 and even PS4 games instead of turning on the PS4 Pros.
Substantially faster load times, and a much improved controller.

Some PS4 games that were patched with updates only support 60 frames per second on PS5 too.
idontwantausername wrote: Had a PS5 since launch and thinking about going back to my PS4 Pro for the time being.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)