Official Sony Playstation 5 Thread - Nov. 12 Launch, $499/$629

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2022 5:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
Today Amazon delivered the Pink DualSense I ordered for the wife. That thing is some real bright pink I tell you, almost a bit of an eyesore if you stare at it too long. She's happy though
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6480 posts
6752 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Anyone else find it kind of suspicious that Sony hasn't actually said anything else about the PS4 -> PS5 upgrade for Horizon: Forbidden West since they announced they were backtracking on not allowing/offering it?

The page for the PS4 version still hasn't been updated and there's also still a $10 difference between the versions. Like, there hasn't even been a statement from Sony on how the upgrade works (even if it's just like every other free PS4->PS5 upgrade so far).

So seeing stuff like this:

https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-fo ... 10-dollars

There's nothing from Sony that actually corroborates any of the statements in the article (ex. "Once you have received or picked up your PS4 copy of Horizon Forbidden West, you can insert your PS4 copy of the game into a PS5 console. After this, you will then get the option to download and receive a free PS5 upgrade for the game"), so I'm wondering if there's a possibility of people thinking of going this route getting absolutely burned.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
chemicalxv wrote: Anyone else find it kind of suspicious that Sony hasn't actually said anything else about the PS4 -> PS5 upgrade for Horizon: Forbidden West since they announced they were backtracking on not allowing/offering it?

The page for the PS4 version still hasn't been updated and there's also still a $10 difference between the versions. Like, there hasn't even been a statement from Sony on how the upgrade works (even if it's just like every other free PS4->PS5 upgrade so far).

There's nothing from Sony that actually corroborates any of the statements in the article (ex. "Once you have received or picked up your PS4 copy of Horizon Forbidden West, you can insert your PS4 copy of the game into a PS5 console. After this, you will then get the option to download and receive a free PS5 upgrade for the game"), so I'm wondering if there's a possibility of people thinking of going this route getting absolutely burned.
Sounds the same as the Marvel Avengers upgrade to me. Insert disc, make sure to select the PS5 version rather than the PS4, install. I don't see what there is to doubt it will work.
If it comes down to doubting because there are two different versions, well, I have a few theories. One is Sony might hope some people don't notice, and end up spending the extra $10. Once they purchase and open it, no refunds lol. But hey, in the case of the disc you get the pretty white label instead of the old blue one.
Second, maybe owners of the PS5 copy will get something in the future, like bonuses or DLC exclusive to owners of the PS5 purchased version. Remember, it will give you the PS5 version with the PS4 disc, but you still need the disc in the console to play. Therefore it will be able to tell which version disc you own. Same would work with the digital copy since it would track which version you purchased.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8417 posts
1863 upvotes
Richmond Hill
chemicalxv wrote: Anyone else find it kind of suspicious that Sony hasn't actually said anything else about the PS4 -> PS5 upgrade for Horizon: Forbidden West since they announced they were backtracking on not allowing/offering it?

If they backtrack, they will get a lot of hate for it so I doubt it.

I preordered the PS4 version myself hopefully get it Friday then have the weekend to play :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6480 posts
6752 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
jeffyjaixx wrote: If they backtrack, they will get a lot of hate for it so I doubt it.

I preordered the PS4 version myself hopefully get it Friday then have the weekend to play :)
Yes I'm not saying they're going to backtrack on the backtrack lol (in fact, the PS4 copies appear to have the "PS5 upgrade available" sticker on them), but I'm starting to wonder if this upgrade isn't going to be as straight-forward as we've seen in the past and Sony's actually going to have a lot of strings attached to it to try and weasel their way into giving away as few free upgrades as possible.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
chemicalxv wrote: Yes I'm not saying they're going to backtrack on the backtrack lol (in fact, the PS4 copies appear to have the "PS5 upgrade available" sticker on them), but I'm starting to wonder if this upgrade isn't going to be as straight-forward as we've seen in the past and Sony's actually going to have a lot of strings attached to it to try and weasel their way into giving away as few free upgrades as possible.
Hmmm, not sure how they could limit the upgrades. The only thing I could see is creating a cut off date to do so, but they haven't done that with any games yet.
With the Activision takeover, maybe Sony will be a kinder, gentler, more consumer friendly company now. Beating up on Xbox for so long made them forget the lessons of the PS3. Maybe this upgrade path stuff will disappear completely.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9446 posts
2934 upvotes
So what would be the point of the PS5 version, if the PS4 one can be upgraded for free
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8417 posts
1863 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CFRTim wrote: So what would be the point of the PS5 version, if the PS4 one can be upgraded for free
To sell to people who don't know.

This is why I believe they are kind of hush hush about it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6480 posts
6752 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
BernardRyder wrote: Hmmm, not sure how they could limit the upgrades. The only thing I could see is creating a cut off date to do so, but they haven't done that with any games yet.
With the Activision takeover, maybe Sony will be a kinder, gentler, more consumer friendly company now. Beating up on Xbox for so long made them forget the lessons of the PS3. Maybe this upgrade path stuff will disappear completely.
Well the whole point of these upgrades are for people who want to play the game on their PS4 now, but then keep playing it or replay it once they get a PS5, correct?

They could, IN THEORY, not make it available Day 1, or something even crazier - the only way to get the upgrade is if you actually play the game on PS4 first. Like honestly who knows lol.
Jul 29, 2021
7 posts
I just got my ps5 and I notice my download and especially my upload speeds are slow. I opened all the correct ports. What dns servers are you guys running?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
jonogunn8 wrote: I just got my ps5 and I notice my download and especially my upload speeds are slow. I opened all the correct ports. What dns servers are you guys running?
I didn't do anything special to use mine and while not lightning fast, it seems OK to me.
When you say slow, what results are you getting specifically?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9446 posts
2934 upvotes
You on WiFi or wired connection? Give us some numbers to get an idea
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6480 posts
6752 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Is it like, slower than your PS4 was?

Like my PS5 is definitely quicker at downloading than my PS4 Pro was, but it's still overall slow as hell because my internet speed cap is garbo.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
chemicalxv wrote: Is it like, slower than your PS4 was?

Like my PS5 is definitely quicker at downloading than my PS4 Pro was, but it's still overall slow as hell because my internet speed cap is garbo.
I'm probably in the same boat. Same wired connection and all, but it seems faster than the PS4 Pro I had in that spot before. The problem too is, most games have gotten chunkier, so speed increases are moot.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6480 posts
6752 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
BernardRyder wrote: I'm probably in the same boat. Same wired connection and all, but it seems faster than the PS4 Pro I had in that spot before. The problem too is, most games have gotten chunkier, so speed increases are moot.
Well for me my internet speed cap is 50 Mbps (that's literally the highest you can sign up for in my area) so the slight improvement I see with the PS5 under the same conditions as my PS4 Pro doesn't really matter 🤣

But the PS5 is absolutely capable of hitting 800+ Mbps if you have it wired and a gigabit connection. I envy those people so much lol.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9446 posts
2934 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: Well for me my internet speed cap is 50 Mbps (that's literally the highest you can sign up for in my area) so the slight improvement I see with the PS5 under the same conditions as my PS4 Pro doesn't really matter 🤣

But the PS5 is absolutely capable of hitting 800+ Mbps if you have it wired and a gigabit connection. I envy those people so much lol.
I have Bell gigabit fibe, realistically you'll never hit those speeds. On a good day I get around 4-500Mbps when downloading from game servers
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8417 posts
1863 upvotes
Richmond Hill
chemicalxv wrote: Well the whole point of these upgrades are for people who want to play the game on their PS4 now, but then keep playing it or replay it once they get a PS5, correct?

They could, IN THEORY, not make it available Day 1, or something even crazier - the only way to get the upgrade is if you actually play the game on PS4 first. Like honestly who knows lol.
My guess is they will do it the same way it's always been for PS4 physical to PS5 - just stick the PS4 disc in the PS5 and select PS5 version and call it a day. No need to over complicate things for a little extra revenue and piss of the fanbase lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2146 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
Sony is to not advertising the fact that there is a free PS4 to PS5 update for Horizon.

You can get the PS5 version for $10 less if you grab the physical or digital PS4 standard edition. The PS4 standard edition is somewhat hidden and you need to scroll down on the Horizon Forbidden West page to find it.

To make things more confusing, the PS4 version of Gran Turismo 7 will not update to PS5 unless you pay an extra $10.

It's a little strange to see Sony splitting hairs for $10. They should've just made the PS4/PS5 version of Horizon $60 USD / $80 CDN and then made the upcoming releases $70 USD / $90 CDN with free PS4 to PS5 upgrade.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9446 posts
2934 upvotes
Some shady monkey business from Sony, they need a little more transparency with this
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6480 posts
6752 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
CFRTim wrote: I have Bell gigabit fibe, realistically you'll never hit those speeds. On a good day I get around 4-500Mbps when downloading from game servers
Oh yeah for sure, but people have gotten those speeds which is why we know it's capable. Just need Sony to actually invest in updating its servers (as does a certain other Japanese company).
jeffyjaixx wrote: My guess is they will do it the same way it's always been for PS4 physical to PS5 - just stick the PS4 disc in the PS5 and select PS5 version and call it a day. No need to over complicate things for a little extra revenue and piss of the fanbase lol.
I mean they already did piss off the fanbase pretty badly, I wouldn't put it passed them to do it again 🤣

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)