Official Sony Playstation 5 Thread - Nov. 12 Launch, $499/$629

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2022 6:29 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5622 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
chemicalxv wrote: Oh yeah for sure, but people have gotten those speeds which is why we know it's capable. Just need Sony to actually invest in updating its servers (as does a certain other Japanese company).
Who? Sega? They've been out of the console business a long time now, friend.

You can't be talking Nintendo, I don't think they even have online capabilities Face With Tears Of Joy
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2958 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Who? Sega? They've been out of the console business a long time now, friend.

You can't be talking Nintendo, I don't think they even have online capabilities Face With Tears Of Joy
Nintendo online is on dial-up, top of the line 56K
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Nov 5, 2011
189 posts
129 upvotes
The PlayStation Wrap Up now works for those that were having problems accessing it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6543 posts
6807 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I played a copy of Pokemon Shield (wanted to get the shiny Zacian) on my Switch for the first time the other day. The size of the update file from scratch is 2.8 GB, because it includes both expansions (which you need to buy the expansion pass to actually unlock). It legit took at least a half hour to download, and the gross part there is that when it comes to Nintendo (and Nintendo alone), my garbage internet speeds aren't actually the limiting factor.

Anyways back to the PS5 🤣
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1042 posts
909 upvotes
reptile wrote: The PlayStation Wrap Up now works for those that were having problems accessing it.
thanks, confirmed

93h played from my side in 2 months of ownership, not bad!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1407 posts
627 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I still find her face looks off but the scenery etc does look good. I'll pick it up when it comes to Gamepass (kidding). Will certainly wait for a sale though.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5622 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
quicksilver7 wrote: I still find her face looks off but the scenery etc does look good. I'll pick it up when it comes to Gamepass (kidding). Will certainly wait for a sale though.
Good thing you put kidding. Was about to scour the news for another major Microsoft purchase Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2958 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Good thing you put kidding. Was about to scour the news for another major Microsoft purchase Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
I though he was referring to Sony's upcoming version of Gamepass

Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8453 posts
1879 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CFRTim wrote: I though he was referring to Sony's upcoming version of Gamepass

- There are some improvements to the visuals apart from resolution. Increase in LOD distance and less pop-in. The brightness and contrast have been changed and the game looks punchier. Some textures are better too. There are differences in reflections and shading too. Some changes to the motion blur.

- There are 3 mode: Fidelity, Performance and 120 fps.

- Fidelity Mode is fixed 2160p and 30 fps.
- Performance is 1440p and 60 fps.
- 120 fps mode is 1080p and 120 fps. This is John's favorite.

- None of these modes uses dynamic resolution scaling, to John's disappointment.

- Faster loading times. From almost 50 seconds to a couple of second, everything loads in an instant. In backwards compatibility mode you get faster loading times than It was on Pro, but they are still around 30 seconds.

-As for performance:
- Fidelity mode: John hasn't seen a single frame drop in this mode. He would like a 40 fps mode like the one we saw in Ratchet.
- Performance mode: the target is reached basically all the time, just a single frame drop here and there. Testing the secucuence that stressed PS4 Pro the most it runs at perfect 60 fps on PS5.
-120 fps mode: this is the one mode that shows actual drops, but most of the game runs without issue, most sequences are locked at 120 fps, but a handful of specific sequences do exhibit drops (Madagascar chase for instance).

- 3D Audio is supported and is pretty impressive.

- Dualsense is also supported but less exciting. It's good, just not a game changer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9471 posts
2958 upvotes
Dualsense was never going to be a game changer, but VRR would definitely help with that occasional frame drop. Not sure what's preventing Sony from deploying it.
Dec 24, 2010
214 posts
52 upvotes
I did not see any playstations disc 5 available yet with the major retailers. Have been checking them everyday. Is there a way i can know when they are in stock before scalpers buy them
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8453 posts
1879 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CFRTim wrote: Dualsense was never going to be a game changer, but VRR would definitely help with that occasional frame drop. Not sure what's preventing Sony from deploying it.
Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1921 posts
1140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Can't wait for Uncharted Legacy of Thieves to come out on PC...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8453 posts
1879 upvotes
Richmond Hill
https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/31/359997/

The first 2022 State of Play arrives later this week, and we’re all revved up for just over 30 minutes of new PS5 footage and gameplay details for Gran Turismo 7. Watch live February 2nd on Twitch or YouTube starting 2pm Pacific / 5pm Eastern / 11:00pm CET.

See you Wednesday!

Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5622 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
jeffyjaixx wrote: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/31/359997/

The first 2022 State of Play arrives later this week, and we’re all revved up for just over 30 minutes of new PS5 footage and gameplay details for Gran Turismo 7. Watch live February 2nd on Twitch or YouTube starting 2pm Pacific / 5pm Eastern / 11:00pm CET.

See you Wednesday!

Can't wait for the "nothing to see here, everyone remain calm" State of Play. I do wonder if they will reveal Spartacus, but I get a feeling with the current events that transpired, nothing about it will seem impressive. If anything it will take the spotlight off GT7 because all the social media experts will just trip over themselves to react to Spartacus versus the Activision purchase.
Still thinking on getting GT7 at launch, pretty stoked for it, but will probably wait until the week of launch to decide.
I try to avoid buying anything at launch because it gets cheaper over time and I can wait, but I already made a launch purchase this year with HFW on Amazon. But that game isn't for me, my wife and oldest loved the original, and admittedly I never played it Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat It looks great and all, but pretty low on my interest scale right now. So it's really a Day 1 purchase for them.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2149 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
I think this State of Play will just focus on GT7.

There are rumours of another State of Play in March with Hogwarts Legacy and Ghostwire Tokyo, perhaps Sony will have more to say on Spartacus at that event. I think Spartacus is still in flux and they haven't finalized all the details yet.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5334 posts
2314 upvotes
Toronto
Sony making some moves

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3725 posts
2637 upvotes
EDMONTON
jeffyjaixx wrote: - There are some improvements to the visuals apart from resolution. Increase in LOD distance and less pop-in. The brightness and contrast have been changed and the game looks punchier. Some textures are better too. There are differences in reflections and shading too. Some changes to the motion blur.

- There are 3 mode: Fidelity, Performance and 120 fps.

- Fidelity Mode is fixed 2160p and 30 fps.
- Performance is 1440p and 60 fps.
- 120 fps mode is 1080p and 120 fps. This is John's favorite.

- None of these modes uses dynamic resolution scaling, to John's disappointment.

- Faster loading times. From almost 50 seconds to a couple of second, everything loads in an instant. In backwards compatibility mode you get faster loading times than It was on Pro, but they are still around 30 seconds.

-As for performance:
- Fidelity mode: John hasn't seen a single frame drop in this mode. He would like a 40 fps mode like the one we saw in Ratchet.
- Performance mode: the target is reached basically all the time, just a single frame drop here and there. Testing the secucuence that stressed PS4 Pro the most it runs at perfect 60 fps on PS5.
-120 fps mode: this is the one mode that shows actual drops, but most of the game runs without issue, most sequences are locked at 120 fps, but a handful of specific sequences do exhibit drops (Madagascar chase for instance).

- 3D Audio is supported and is pretty impressive.

- Dualsense is also supported but less exciting. It's good, just not a game changer.
Downloaded the upgrade on Friday but have not had a chance to try the 120fps mode yet.
teksavvy sucks