Official Sony Playstation 5 Thread - Nov. 12 Launch, $499/$629

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 8:37 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4568 posts
1680 upvotes
Ajax
XFactor11 wrote: Posted this in the Console discussion topic but it might be more fitting here before this topic eventually
becomes a shipping status and "where to find or pre-order a PS5" discussion topic:

PS5 at launch performance barometer:

Spider-Man remastered on PS5 (comes with the Miles Morales Ultimate Edition) is getting ray-tracing,
60 frames per second gameplay, redesigned character models and upgraded details. Load times will be
practically instant. Spider-Man Miles Morales on PS5 also has a 60 FPS mode. But only Miles Morales on PS4 gets a
free PS5 upgrade. For current owners of Spider-Man PS4 that get a PS5, it will run on PS5 via backwards
compatibility but it will not have any of the upgraded features of the Spiderman PS5 Remaster (60 FPS mode, upgraded
character models, and ray tracing).

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09 ... ed_for_ps5

For 3rd party software:

Devil May Cry V Special Edition on PS5 / XBox Series X announced features and performance:

Ray-tracing ON: 4K, 30 frames per second
Ray-tracing ON: 1080p, 60 frames per second
Ray-tracing OFF: 1080p, 120 frames per second.

Pumped for Demon's Souls remake on PS5:

Looks like the final game runs at 60 FPS and BluePoint actually was able to achieve a remarkable graphical leap in the remake over any
of FromSoftware's Dark Souls/Sekiro/Bloodborne games.

Also looking forward to Final Fantasy XVI because Tetsuro Nomura has no involvement in it at all.
Nomura made the Kingdom Hearts games a complete convoluted mess, and I did not like his character designs for
FF15 (where the main playable characters are all male and they looked like a J-Pop band).

-
Then Sony is pretty shallow. Current PS4 owners of Spiderman who buy PS5 should get the upgrades to that game for free. Microsoft is not charging their customers extra for this. And for this reason, Sony can kiss my ass. I have canceled my pre-order for the Ultimate edition. Will buy the regular edition next Spring when it is $40.00
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8558 posts
2953 upvotes
Control by Remedy Entertainment is getting a new version with all DLC included on PS4 and XBox One.
Only owners of the new version are getting the Next-gen updated features for free. People that bought the vanilla launch version will have to rebuy it.

With other games like Call of Duty, there is no free upgrade to next gen.
Ditto with NBA 2K21, unless you buy the more expensive Kobe Bryant Mamba Forever Edition.

Capcom is also not doing a free upgrade with the next-gen version of Devil May Cry Special Edition.
Ray-tracing and new lighting will not come free for current owners of DMC 5 on PS4/XB1.

Currently, the only companies doing the next-gen feature upgrade for free is for Cyberpunk 2077 by CD Project Red.
(but Cyberpunk 2077's next-gen upgrades will probably not be ready when the game launches because XBox Series X and PS5 versions
will not exist for quite some time)

Ubisoft is also doing it for Assassin's Creed Valhalla on PS5 and XB Series X/ Series S.
mrtvgame wrote: Then Sony is pretty shallow. Current PS4 owners of Spiderman who buy PS5 should get the upgrades to that game for free. Microsoft is not charging their customers extra for this. And for this reason, Sony can kiss my ass. I have canceled my pre-order for the Ultimate edition. Will buy the regular edition next Spring when it is $40.00
Last edited by XFactor11 on Sep 20th, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4391 posts
944 upvotes
I likely need glasses, but is ray tracing all it's hyped to be? Or are videos not making the visuals of ray tracing very obvious?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8558 posts
2953 upvotes
Here is an example of one current gen game getting Ray-Tracing on next gen consoles:

Mulder and Scully wrote: I likely need glasses, but is ray tracing all it's hyped to be? Or are videos not making the visuals of ray tracing very obvious?

Devil May Cry V Special Edition on PS5 / XBox Series X announced game features and performance:

Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11908 posts
2111 upvotes
Mississauga
Redmask wrote: I looked at the official measurements and it fits fine into my stand horizontally. I hope they include the "stand" in the box. Vertically neither the Xbox nor the PS5 is good fit for my setup.
Sony calls it a base and yes, it comes included. It clips onto the back of the console when it's horizontal, giving the PS5 the appearance of floating off your shelf. When vertical, the console fits into the base's groove.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2327 posts
356 upvotes
The PS5 being that long just makes me hate the stupid, frivolous design elements even more. Honestly, who looks at that tragedy of aesthetics and actually thinks "Yes, this is what we're going to market with."?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1896 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote: The PS5 being that long just makes me hate the stupid, frivolous design elements even more. Honestly, who looks at that tragedy of aesthetics and actually thinks "Yes, this is what we're going to market with."?
As long as it runs cooler and quieter than the PS4.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1896 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
The console generation transition years are always a little weird, but it's baffling to see people on Reddit and Twitter complaining that Spiderman: Miles Morales and Horizon: Forbidden West are also releasing on PS4.

Apparently Sony lied to them because they said "We believe in generations".
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
4455 posts
2991 upvotes
Toronto and London
heywhatsmyname wrote: The console generation transition years are always a little weird, but it's baffling to see people on Reddit and Twitter complaining that Spiderman: Miles Morales and Horizon: Forbidden West are also releasing on PS4.

Apparently Sony lied to them because they said "We believe in generations".
Those people have a selective memory.

It's been like this as far as cross gen games for some time.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18311 posts
2172 upvotes
Woodbridge
Mulder and Scully wrote: No one is saying anything about how PS5 first party games are increasing from $60 USD to $70 USD? New PS4 games are already $80 CAD so now PS5 games will be what? $90?
Nothing compared to what I remember Nintendo was charging for their N64 games.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2327 posts
356 upvotes
N64 carts cost something like 30 times as much to manufacture as a blu-ray. A lot of people forget that near the end of the Genesis and SNES lifespans their new releases were crazy expensive because of ROM costs too (I distinctly remember Phantasy Star IV being $100).
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4568 posts
1680 upvotes
Ajax
XFactor11 wrote: Here is an example of one current gen game getting Ray-Tracing on next gen consoles:

Devil May Cry V Special Edition on PS5 / XBox Series X announced game features and performance:

The thing with all of this will one notice when they are actually playing a game like this that is hyper spastic 90% of the time.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2041 posts
2629 upvotes
Windsor
Ascott wrote: The PS5 being that long just makes me hate the stupid, frivolous design elements even more. Honestly, who looks at that tragedy of aesthetics and actually thinks "Yes, this is what we're going to market with."?
No worries. You can wait for the PS5 pro in 2023
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
4455 posts
2991 upvotes
Toronto and London
I love the Ps5 Avant garde design. I just hope the cooling and noise solution is prioritized.

X looks too much like a PC tower and is rather boring.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2443 posts
2609 upvotes
GTA
Talamasca wrote: Sony calls it a base and yes, it comes included. It clips onto the back of the console when it's horizontal, giving the PS5 the appearance of floating off your shelf. When vertical, the console fits into the base's groove.
Adding an LED light strip to the bottom of it will add to the floating effect lol
c'mon get happy!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)