Sports & Recreation

The Official TENNIS Thread - Everything About Tennis

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 11:45 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
Djoko is king. That guy amazes me. Speaks 4 or 5 languages AND is no. 1 in the world in tennis. Bravo!
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
Psubs wrote: I wanna see Djoker get 4 consectuive Grand Slams!!! :cheesygri First time in 43 years!

It'd also be nice to see Bjorn Borg continue sharing the record for most number for French titles at 6 with Nadal.

the chances are slim. Nadal will win
Sharapova was incredible today. well deserved title.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8739 upvotes
Toronto
Congrats to Sharapova....she went through a lot to get back to where she is today (tough road)..

She could have gone the easy route and just played the tourneys while racking in the big bucks from endorsements...or she could have retired...

Well deserved FO win by Maria!

The men's final is crazy...just as Djoker was making a comeback and gaining momentum.....but the start looked like Nadal was going to steamroll Djoker...

Can't wait for today....go Nadal!
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
509 upvotes
Mississauga
ji2o0k wrote: Congrats to Sharapova....she went through a lot to get back to where she is today (tough road)..

She could have gone the easy route and just played the tourneys while racking in the big bucks from endorsements...or she could have retired...

Well deserved FO win by Maria!

The men's final is crazy...just as Djoker was making a comeback and gaining momentum.....but the start looked like Nadal was going to steamroll Djoker...

Can't wait for today....go Nadal!

Its over and Nadal won. Seemed like it was inevitable after Novak lost the break in the first game today. That was his best chance to win that set and he lost it. :(

Looked like the only chance Joker had was if the match had continued yesterday while he was on a roll. Knew it was going to be tough for him to win today with Rafa being refocused and rested.
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
MaximDude wrote: Its over and Nadal won. Seemed like it was inevitable after Novak lost the break in the first game today. That was his best chance to win that set and he lost it. :(

Looked like the only chance Joker had was if the match had continued yesterday while he was on a roll. Knew it was going to be tough for him to win today with Rafa being refocused and rested.

Novak would never had that momentum if it weren't for the conditions
what worked for him with other players (Sapi, Tsonga) was not enough with Nadal. that was expected
Djokovic had to flatten the shots and go for the winners instead of getting involved in the rallies. he should have repeated what Soderling did to beat Nadal, ie use more power shots
stll kudas to Novak for a great turnament appearance
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
I guess Novak will have to win the next 3 grandslams and try again next year at the French. :D I wonder if Federer will get any more slams? :(

7 titles in one grandslam at the age of 26. :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0

Too many wimmins drool over Nadal so I was cheering for Djoker. He's like Ivan Lendl.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7608 posts
7342 upvotes
So Wimbledon's coming up - Federer and Novak will inevitably be on the same half of the "computer-generated random" draw as usual.

They've never played each other on grass, but Fed hasn't even made it out of the Quarters the last two yrs.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8739 upvotes
Toronto
Madchester wrote: So Wimbledon's coming up - Federer and Novak will inevitably be on the same half of the "computer-generated random" draw as usual.

They've never played each other on grass, but Fed hasn't even made it out of the Quarters the last two yrs.
To be honest, Fed can't hang with the young gunz anymore...

Maybe if they changed the Wimby surface back to the fast stuff, then maybe. Fed's game is best suited to the fast surfaces...then he would have a chance.

Once they started slowing down the surfaces, Fed's advantage was gone and now with age, he isn't as consistent as he once was..

I am hoping he wins another GS or two....
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
Madchester wrote: So Wimbledon's coming up - Federer and Novak will inevitably be on the same half of the "computer-generated random" draw as usual.

Federer should get Nadal in his half if he's to get to the final.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: To be honest, Fed can't hang with the young gunz anymore...

Maybe if they changed the Wimby surface back to the fast stuff, then maybe. Fed's game is best suited to the fast surfaces...then he would have a chance.

Once they started slowing down the surfaces, Fed's advantage was gone and now with age, he isn't as consistent as he once was..

I am hoping he wins another GS or two....

I doubt Federer will win any grand slam. the competition is too tough and too big
Sampras was 31 when he won his last one and Federer nears that age. I predict he will quit next year
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
16321 posts
7966 upvotes
Federer has slowed down, but he's still better than everyone except Djokovic and Nadal.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8739 upvotes
Toronto
vero95 wrote: I doubt Federer will win any grand slam. the competition is too tough and too big
Sampras was 31 when he won his last one and Federer nears that age. I predict he will quit next year
I don't think Fed will retire next year... he is probably going to play another 2 to 3 years...

His game and movement are still very smooth, his style of game isn't so hard on his body but he has lost a half step and he isn't as consistent as he once was..

I can see Nadal getting injured more and more (his knees) so if the stars are lined up well enough, I can see Fed winning another GS or two if either Nadal or Djoker is injured in a tournament or falls to a player playing the game of their lives...

But if Fed had to go through both Nadal and Djoker to win a GS...I think his chances are low to win a GS....if he has to go through only 1, chances are better....
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
Lone_Prodigy wrote: Federer has slowed down, but he's still better than everyone except Djokovic and Nadal.
ji2o0k wrote: I don't think Fed will retire next year... he is probably going to play another 2 to 3 years...

His game and movement are still very smooth, his style of game isn't so hard on his body but he has lost a half step and he isn't as consistent as he once was..

I can see Nadal getting injured more and more (his knees) so if the stars are lined up well enough, I can see Fed winning another GS or two if either Nadal or Djoker is injured in a tournament or falls to a player playing the game of their lives...

But if Fed had to go through both Nadal and Djoker to win a GS...I think his chances are low to win a GS....if he has to go through only 1, chances are better....

it's mental. it will be hard for Federer to continue losing and he already showed signs of frustration yelling "shut up" at the crowd while playing del Potro. last time I saw Federer losing his temper was when he smashed his racquet in Miami in 2009. he then won French Open that year
once you have in your head that you may lose it's hard to forget about it. it gets worse with time
good luck to Federer but I do not think he will win any more GSs
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
131 upvotes
I think Federer can win one more GS, if the cards fall right for him (Novak and Rafa both fall before they reach the finals). He'll also win the odd tournament here and there.
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote: Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7608 posts
7342 upvotes
I'm always wondering if Novak is a Courier or Wilander type player.... really hot for a 1-2 yr period, and unable to win slams after that.

I have tix for London 2012 quarterfinals, so I hope to see all the big guns on the grass.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8739 upvotes
Toronto
You guys hear about Nalbadian over the weekend and his default loss at the Queen's club....pretty funny actually:

[QUOTE]
David Nalbandian hurts judge, loses
The Queen's Club final was halted abruptly when David Nalbandian injured a line judge, handing the title to Marin Cilic.

The 10th-seeded Nalbandian was leading in the second set Sunday when he kicked the small barrier surrounding the line judge in anger. A piece of the barrier then hit the line judge, causing bleeding on his left shin.

After checking on the line judge, the chair umpire decided to end the match.

Nalbandian insisted he shouldn't have been disqualified.[/QUOTE]Full story: http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/80 ... lification

And now the police are thinking of laying assault charges? hahahhah man....

[QUOTE]
Police eye David Nalbandian kick
David Nalbandian has been fined the maximum $12,560 and faces a police investigation into an assault complaint after kicking an advertising board and injuring a line judge during the Queen's Club final.[/QUOTE]Link and also a video of the "kick"!:http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/80 ... count-kick
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: You guys hear about Nalbadian over the weekend and his default loss at the Queen's club....pretty funny actually:

Full story: http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/80 ... lification

And now the police are thinking of laying assault charges? hahahhah man....

Link and also a video of the "kick"!:http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/80 ... count-kick
yeah, I heard and laughed at assault charges :D
feel sorry for nalbandian. he is so nice to watch
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9475 posts
1610 upvotes
Unfortunate... too bad he deserved to win this tourney too as he was in really good form lately. Nalbanian is the Murray of yesteryear (no GS)

I agree... with the slowdown of the courts Federer doesn't really stand much of chance against the younger guys and the slow surface make his run around all day. That being said, I really can't stand the one dimensional tennis nowadays... baseline bashing... 50ft net clearance, heavy topspin moonballing back and forth... 500 shot rallies. Reason why I love the all court players and s/v players (Federer, F. Lopez, Llondra, Murray)... yes murray is allcourt... he mixes really well.

If, BIG IF federer wins Wimby and olympics... I can see him retiring on a high note.
vero95 wrote: yeah, I heard and laughed at assault charges :D
feel sorry for nalbandian. he is so nice to watch
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
131 upvotes
Good match right now between Federer and Murray. Federer looks really good at the moment, don't see how Murray can hope to win.
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote: Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
Fed is on cruise control now as Murray looks bruised and broken.