Sports & Recreation

The Official TENNIS Thread - Everything About Tennis

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2020 12:06 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1442 posts
1630 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Unresphek wrote: Here is something else for you fednatics to chew on.

There once upon a time when maestro was mirking everyone on tour unless they're nadal and novak.

It is so sad for your goat looking at this picture during this decade. 23 of 42 titles or over 50% won playing against killers on the atp250 and atp500 Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes

*fednatics: it was all about winning GS! Nothing else matter except the GS! IT'S ALL ABOUT WINNING GS damn it 🤬🤬!!!

Well what do you think at the picture below?
Image*tennis fans : we acknowledge facts
*fednatics : We only know excuses

That 10 or so GS your goat won in the previous decade must have been through battles against other goat candidates amirite? It couldnt have been against some journeymen could it? NO! NO! NO! I refuse to believe so! 🤣🤣🤣

@OntEdTchr how do you like them apples ive put forth before you? Not bad for some casual fan right? These facts go well with the salt you've harvested this decade.
Pretty unfair to compare Federer from 28 to 37 when all the others are 5 to 6 years younger (other than Wawrinka).

Novak's peak was/is higher than Federer, but TMF's longevity and peak is sustained longer.

Nadal is a brute force and the King of Clay. No one comes close.

The GOAT debate will never be solved. Let's wait until they all retire and then we can compare.

I remember watching tennis in the mid 2000s and boy, was watching Federer a joy. 14 years later, he's still bringing it at a ripe old age of 38 and counting. Simply unbelievable.
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: XIC

It's really that simple.
Member
Jul 4, 2018
469 posts
396 upvotes
TuxedoBlack wrote: Pretty unfair to compare Federer from 28 to 37 when all the others are 5 to 6 years younger (other than Wawrinka).
That is right. Federer's prime was over long ago now that he is not winning - fednatics

Novak's peak was/is higher than Federer, but TMF's longevity and peak is sustained longer.
Huh? Seriously? Fednatics are bunch of weird claimers.
Not coming in first still count for something - fednatics
It is not easy winning on the atp250/500 (bunch of killers) - fednatics

The image above has shown exactly who has sustained their greatness. It is not even a debate for tennis fans except you fednatics. No player has been killing and WINNING it more than Novak. That is a span of a DECADE. How long did fed's reign last? 04-07/08/09? Im not very good with math so do please help me out here.

Lets take it a step further and delve in to these three after the age of 28 when your maestro supposedly lost his prime. And to be fair, lets judge them within the same age period. Novak is the youngest at 32 1/2yo.

Nadal 28yo in Jun.03.14 to Feb.2019 = 32 1/2yo
4gs, 6m1000
Novak 28yo in May.22.15 to Feb.2020 = 32 1/2yo
8gs, 1wtf, 10m1000

Federer 28yo in Aug.08.09 to Feb.2014 = 32 1/2yo
2gs, 2wtf, 6m1000

Im not even that big of a novak fan but i recognize his greatness and goatness among the current 3 players.

Nadal is a brute force and the King of Clay. No one comes close.

The GOAT debate will never be solved. Let's wait until they all retire and then we can compare.
Unbiased tennis fans already know who are the goats 1a-1b and neither is federer.

I remember watching tennis in the mid 2000s and boy, was watching Federer a joy. 14 years later, he's still bringing it at a ripe old age of 38 and counting. Simply unbelievable.
Yes destroying the likes of hewitts, safins, roddicks, baghdatis, gonzales, ferreros are worthy of goat claimant.

This is some impressive resume Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
2003 Wimbledon Mark Philippoussis
2004 Australian Open Marat Safin
2004 Wimbledon Andy Roddick
2004 US Open Lleyton Hewitt
2005 Wimbledon Andy Roddick
2005 US Open Andre Agassi
2006 Australian Open Marcos Baghdatis
2006 Wimbledon Rafael Nadal
2006 US Open Andy Roddick
2007 Australian Open Fernando González
2007 Wimbledon Rafael Nadal
2007 US Open Novak Djokovic
2008 US Open Andy Murray
2009 French Open Robin Söderling
2009 Wimbledon Andy Roddick
.
.
.
Put some resphek on my name!
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1442 posts
1630 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Unresphek wrote:
You do realize that Roddick, Safin, and Hewitt were world-class players?

Also, doesn't Roddick have a career win-loss edge over Djokovic?

Damn... you don't seem to know how good Federer was when he was in its absolute prime. I'm glad I got a chance to witness that. Too bad you didn't.

Let me ask you one question: were you even a tennis fan in the '00s?
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: XIC

It's really that simple.
Member
Jul 4, 2018
469 posts
396 upvotes
TuxedoBlack wrote: You do realize that Roddick, Safin, and Hewitt were world-class players?
These guys were so world class they are goat candidates - fednatics

Also, doesn't Roddick have a career win-loss edge over Djokovic?
roddick's body of work makes him a goat candidate and add in the fact that he's 5-4 vs Novak, it solidifies his goat status - fednatics

Damn... you don't seem to know how good Federer was when he was in its absolute prime. I'm glad I got a chance to witness that. Too bad you didn't.
Absolute prime you say? Nadal say hold my beer and have a seat at the end of my bench.

Let me ask you one question: were you even a tennis fan in the '00s?
Follow what ive been saying the last few pages till now before you try to have an unbiased debate. Try and follow the facts.

Seems to me you've just crawled out from your hole after hibernating since federer's reign ended 07/08/09 (have your pick fednatic, whatever make you happy).
You seem to also be another @OntEdTchr , a diehard fednatic who fails to recognize facts. It is as if the facts do not exist in fednatic lands. Welcome to two new decades since you've last witnessed your hero winning against world class players that are the roddicks, safins, hewitts. We are in the current goats era of nadal/novak. Enjoy the ride with the rest of us tennis fans
Novak has a really good chance for AO20 to add to his already goatness resume but i am with you fednatics on this one and hoping Thiem wins it. Not because i am on the same boat as you fednatics but because thiem is the player i cheer for 2nd after nadal.
.
.
.
Put some resphek on my name!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 11, 2001
8719 posts
905 upvotes
Agreed 2006-07 Federer was absolutely insane... he didn't even bother constructing points most of the time... he just hit winners from all areas of the court and his court speed was insane. Today his serve is better and his backhand is miles better (he sliced a lot back then)... but his forehand and court speed were out of this world back then..
TuxedoBlack wrote: You do realize that Roddick, Safin, and Hewitt were world-class players?

Also, doesn't Roddick have a career win-loss edge over Djokovic?

Damn... you don't seem to know how good Federer was when he was in its absolute prime. I'm glad I got a chance to witness that. Too bad you didn't.

Let me ask you one question: were you even a tennis fan in the '00s?
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Member
Jul 4, 2018
469 posts
396 upvotes
Novak AO20, 17gs inching closer to your hero fednatics. Dont worry fednatics, i am as sad as you but for different reasons. You fednatics are agonized because of your biased hate for Novak's greatness (interchange when nadal wins). I am sad because neither of my boys could dethrone novak but i (tennis fans) recognize greatness when i (we) see it.

Novak is back at #1. He and nadal will be fighting for it for years to come so dont worry fednatics, your last remaining stand at 310 weeks will be safe for another two years.

My boy Thiem was so close yet so far. Novak's mental toughness is out of this world. I wondered whats in those purple and blue drink bottles. There, ive just threw a bone for you fednatics to chew on Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
.
.
.
Put some resphek on my name!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21155 posts
2493 upvotes
Toronto
not a fan of Djoker but you gotta give the man his props - younger Djoker would have folded like a cheap chair down 2 sets to 1 and wouldn't have put up a fight (just go thru the motions).....

he stormed back to win AO2020 - feel for Thiem, dood came so close! I was rooting for Thiem to break through the Big 3 - man, that was close.


Don't like the Djoker but **wiserman hand clap** - well done Champ.....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 11, 2001
8719 posts
905 upvotes
Yeah he seems "fake" and says things that sometimes you just wonder if he has any PR person working for him... but he gets are serious pass for me because he donated his ENTIRE masters 1000 win during the Serbia bombings a few yrs back... that is some serious charity... i think it was about $1.1 million or something quite staggering. Too bad for Thiem... he's become the next Andy Murray... (Andy Murray in the beginning was making GS finals and always losing).

I truly do think Djoker will beat all the tally of GS records... not the french open one that Nadal holds or possibly the Wimbledon one that Federer does. But the total amount.

I think Federer will hang it up end of this yr... i mean it's just the first GS and he already is nursing an injury.
ji2o0k wrote: not a fan of Djoker but you gotta give the man his props - younger Djoker would have folded like a cheap chair down 2 sets to 1 and wouldn't have put up a fight (just go thru the motions).....

he stormed back to win AO2020 - feel for Thiem, dood came so close! I was rooting for Thiem to break through the Big 3 - man, that was close.


Don't like the Djoker but **wiserman hand clap** - well done Champ.....
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21155 posts
2493 upvotes
Toronto
sleepyguy wrote: Yeah he seems "fake" and says things that sometimes you just wonder if he has any PR person working for him... but he gets are serious pass for me because he donated his ENTIRE masters 1000 win during the Serbia bombings a few yrs back... that is some serious charity... i think it was about $1.1 million or something quite staggering. Too bad for Thiem... he's become the next Andy Murray... (Andy Murray in the beginning was making GS finals and always losing).

I truly do think Djoker will beat all the tally of GS records... not the french open one that Nadal holds or possibly the Wimbledon one that Federer does. But the total amount.

I think Federer will hang it up end of this yr... i mean it's just the first GS and he already is nursing an injury.
Djoker is definitely "fake" in some aspects - pretty sure him and his family love the fact that he is beating Fed etc......but he says stuff trying to be humble, more like FedEx etc....just be you man!! Gloat if you want to gloat, be the villian is ok too!!

But yeah, thinking he and Nadal will both beat FedEx's GS total - Feddy's best chance is Wimby and that injury is going to be worrisome for the rest of the year....

Come on young guns!!! Time for you guys to shine!!!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 11, 2001
8719 posts
905 upvotes
Well this is the "breakout" GS for the nextgen players. Zverev and Thiem both in the SF is something unheard of... especially Zverev. I still think Tsispas has the best chance out of the group to break out and win 5+ GS... his game is so smooth and all court, which should give him less "grind" and hence less injuries by ending points quicker. Also the robot Medvedev of course.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Newbie
Dec 24, 2011
78 posts
21 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Anyone know where I can get a tennis ball machine? What’s a good one? Ones to avoid? Tia!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5626 posts
774 upvotes
Calgary
iTomHD wrote: Anyone know where I can get a tennis ball machine? What’s a good one? Ones to avoid? Tia!
Slient partner is a canadian company.
https://www.sptennis.com

IMO, it is better to hit with with a live person than ball machine and there are many drills you can do by yourself against the wall or on the court.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2002
21136 posts
23347 upvotes
Toronto
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 11, 2001
8719 posts
905 upvotes
Not surprising at all... I watched the highlights on youtube and there looks like there was ZERO protocol for mask / distancing / etc. Coaches, players, fans... all bundled together (well there was only a small crowd). A bunch of players are infected as well, Dimitrov, Coric, Troiki and probably Cilic too.

Djokovic tried to do something to bring up tennis and peoples spirits again but he may have just made ATP/WTA even more worrisome now and pushed back the reopen dates even further.

Also he's quite an idiot... saying he wouldn't play the US open with all the "covid" guidelines... yet does a small tournament and infects a bunch of people (even his wife). So irresponsible. Totally forget he's also the president of the ATP council, lol... setting an example for players and such... clown mode engaged.
sprung wrote:
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5325 posts
2562 upvotes
Global Village
"The tournament witnessed packed stands during the opening leg in Belgrade, players hugging at the net, playing basketball, posing for pictures and attending press conferences together."

It's like nobody told them there is a dangerous virus out there...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/tennis ... -1.5623347
All day I dream about sports

Top