• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 11:45 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
Mr_Fanta wrote: Serena Williams gets wild-card entry for Wimbledon singles
I figure that opening-round draw is going to be really, really bad for someone who'd typically feast on a Wild Card. The women's draw will be missing a number of good grass-courters due to the ban. And there are some who won't be as motivated because the cash means less than the ranking points. She could do well. It's still not too late for Wimbledon to change its tune, particularly now that the U.S. Open isn't going to ban players.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
Still crossing my fingers Genie comes to play the WTA 1000 in Toronto in August along with all my other favorite players. Winking Face

Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
Mr_Fanta wrote: Still crossing my fingers Genie comes to play the WTA 1000 in Toronto in August along with all my other favorite players. Winking Face
I hope she does too. She definitely made the right decision because why squander a PR entry? She's definitely had more than her fair share of injury and bad luck, like that awful concussion some years ago at the U.S. Open that derailed her career somewhat.

Tim Henman says that players will still come to Wimbledon due to the "prestige." To me, the only reason to come still is for the cash -- and not even for that in some cases, particularly with an artificially depleted field. It's not that I won't watch, but IMO it will always mean less no matter what happens.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5314 posts
1251 upvotes
Hey Wimbledon, they took the points away so here's how you get revenge. Don't tell anyone and install 90's fast grass. At least we should get a good laugh watching these players try to handle it. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5314 posts
1251 upvotes
In other news, as a try out, the ATP will allow "off court coaching" starting after Wimbledon and until the end of the year (including the USO).

Off-court coaching will be permitted under the following conditions:

. Coaches must sit in the tournament’s designated coach seats
. Coaching (verbal and non-verbal) is allowed only if it does not interrupt play or create any hindrance to the opponent
. Verbal coaching is permitted only when the player is at the same end of the court
. Non-verbal coaching (hand signals) is permitted at any time
. Verbal coaching may consist of a few words and/or short phrases (no conversations are permitted)
. Coaches may not speak to their player when the player leaves the court for any reason
. Penalties and fines will still apply for abuse or misuse of the above coaching conditions

The trial will be collectively evaluated at the end of the 2022 season, to assess potential inclusion of off-court coaching in subsequent seasons.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
JustBob wrote: Hey Wimbledon, they took the points away so here's how you get revenge. Don't tell anyone and install 90's fast grass. At least we should get a good laugh watching these players try to handle it. ;)
At least a Canuck player gains from the arbitrary tossing of the Russian/Belarusian players. With Medvedev and Rublev out (and Zverev out due to that awful injury, but he's German anyway) Felix will be seeded sixth. Not that he gets a bunch of points if he wins LOL only a bunch of cash.

BTW, I like the coaching for players like Felix and Shapovalov for sure. I think it benefits players that lose their focus, which both of them do. Shappy way more than Felix.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
JustBob wrote: In other news, as a try out, the ATP will allow "off court coaching" starting after Wimbledon and until the end of the year (including the USO).

Off-court coaching will be permitted under the following conditions:

. Coaches must sit in the tournament’s designated coach seats
. Coaching (verbal and non-verbal) is allowed only if it does not interrupt play or create any hindrance to the opponent
. Verbal coaching is permitted only when the player is at the same end of the court
. Non-verbal coaching (hand signals) is permitted at any time
. Verbal coaching may consist of a few words and/or short phrases (no conversations are permitted)
. Coaches may not speak to their player when the player leaves the court for any reason
. Penalties and fines will still apply for abuse or misuse of the above coaching conditions

The trial will be collectively evaluated at the end of the 2022 season, to assess potential inclusion of off-court coaching in subsequent seasons.
Interesting, going to have hand signals like baseball catchers? :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes

Bibi will play Simona Halep in the semi-final tomorrow. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

The Wimbledon main draw is tomorrow at 10am local time. Hopefully my girl Emma is healthy from injuries and gets an easy one. Hope she gets a draw like what Coco Gauff got at the French Open. Somebody please stop Iga on grass so she doesn't win the Channel Slam. Fine, let her stop winning after the Wimbledon finals. LOL

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/2653785/ ... ner-jabeur
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Bibi will play Simona Halep in the semi-final tomorrow. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

The Wimbledon main draw is tomorrow at 10am local time. Hopefully my girl Emma is healthy from injuries and gets an easy one. Hope she gets a draw like what Coco Gauff got at the French Open. Somebody please stop Iga on grass so she doesn't win the Channel Slam. Fine, let her stop winning after the Wimbledon finals. LOL
I've been frustrated by Bad Homburg because I can't find the matches on replay and Tennis Channel doesn't care about these Bad Homburg matches for the most part. I don't want to get up at 3am or whatever to watch this one tomorrow. Although I'm very superstitious and so maybe I *shouldn't* watch so as not to tempt fate for her LOL.

As for Emma, so what your saying is that you don't want her playing Wild Card Serena in the first round LOL? Honestly, I think that would be a great first round match for Emma. Nerves have been an issue for her, but playing against Serena would take a lot of the attention off her. When I see Serena in the doubles with Jabeur, I don't think Serena looks fit at all and Serena hates it when all the fans aren't cheering for her, which would be the case playing Emma. I'd give Emma a great chance of winning that match up.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
Bibi got a walkover to the finals tomorrow because Simona has neck injury. That also means that she won't be opening on Centre Court on Tuesday For Wimbledon. Iga gets that honour now.

Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
Mr_Fanta wrote: Bibi got a walkover to the finals tomorrow because Simona has neck injury. That also means that she won't be opening on Centre Court on Tuesday For Wimbledon. Iga gets that honour now.
It's too bad for Halep. She's probably OK though and just doesn't want to risk any serious injury before Wimbledon. I like Bianca's chances against Garcia. Plus she has a good opening-round draw at Wimbledon. Williams gets a super-easy first-round draw. She could've been matched up against anyone, so this draw for her is a bit convenient. Unfortunately, they weren't as polite with Emma. Alison Van Uytvanck is a decent grass player and has some reasonable results coming into Wimbledon. You've seen her, right? She's the one with that flaming red hair. Emma's a better player, but she'll need to hold her nerves.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
^ As soon as I saw the draw, I immediately read comments about how AVU could be problematic for Emma. Especially if she isn't 100% healthy and ready. Even though she's already beaten her once before in their single H2H. I'm still crossing my fingers for Emma, but I'm already jumping on the Iga bandwagon early. Maybe Emma can beat Iga for me in Toronto if they both come here in August? LOL

As mentioned in my earlier post, I want Iga to win the Channel Slam and she can immediately start losing after Wimbledon. She's still the favorite and it looks very possible. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
^^^
Emma's draw surprised me, I ain't gonna lie. Wimbledon's "random" draws have looked anything but over the years. I was expecting a softball for Emma. I agree that Iga is the "Królowa," which I think means "queen" in Polish. My main support is for Bianca and Marino (who also has a pretty-good first-round opponent). But I can't ignore Gauff and how well she's been playing, with such confidence and focus. And then my other players -- Krejčíková (who's still looking for her form after that injury), Pegula, Anisimova. Rybakina, Halep (who's got a tough first-rounder against Muchová). I would've included Azarenka too but, you know...And on the men's side, it's all about Felix and Shapovalov for me.

I'm so glad TSN shows Wimbledon so that at the very least, I'll get to see the Canucks. I'm generally asleep at 3AM so it's all about replays. And all matches will be on replay (and live) on the BBC iPlayer in the worst case scenario.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)