The Official TENNIS Thread - Everything About Tennis

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2020 12:06 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1519 posts
704 upvotes
Funny how these things always devolve into some alpha macho contest on how tough we’d all be if it happened to us. A projectile does not have to go very fast when striking your throat to affect you. She’s older. Certainly startled and in discomfort. Because you might be 6’10” and bullet proof means zero. Go slap a friend in the throat and see if they react.

The rule is there so that this crap doesn’t happen when a millionaire has a hissy fit cause playing a sport for a living has gotten him down. The penalty is harsh on purpose so as to eliminate even the ‘didn’t mean to’ incidents. Think high sticking in hockey. Intent has nothing to do with it. Zero tolerance for carelessness. If you’re not allowed to say ‘I didn’t mean to’ as a defence, presumably you’ll be more careful.
Last edited by benjicash on Sep 7th, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1068 upvotes
Woodbridge
Fire Man wrote: And Roger?

The list goes on.
That wasn't done in anger or with aggression. He was trying to be fancy and just return the ball over the net. There's a difference between a player hitting the ball in frustration/anger/with aggression and what Roger did there. I've refereed tournaments up to the provincial level, I've chaired matches as high as junior ITF, senior ITF and junior nationals and I've worked as a line umpire at the Roger's Cup. I'm by no means anything more than just a casual tennis umpire who does it for fun and as a hobby, but based on that experience, based on my understanding of the rule book and based on my observations of how the rules have been applied at a variety of tournaments over many years, I would have expected Bedene to be DQd, I agree with Djoker's DQ, and I don't see anything wrong in that particular Federer video. Perhaps the reason that Bedene wasn't DQd was that the supervisor didn't see the event, the chair may not have seen the entire event and the cameraman's response was very positive for Bedene. In any case, ball abuse requires that the ball be hit, kicked or thrown dangerously, violently or with anger.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5339 posts
2576 upvotes
Global Village
sleepyguy wrote: Those defending him... he's done this MANY times and luckily was not called out on it. He even did it earlier in the match... sooner or later it was bound to happen, that lines women was definitely hollywooding it though for sure... come on the ball was going like 5mph.

At least the "nextgen" can actually grab a slam now.
Nobody knows her pain threshold and just how hard that ball hit her neck except for her, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, even the most passive looking shots by these pros can really hurt if they land in the neck area.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10883 posts
5993 upvotes
Markham
They need to call "ball/racket abuse" warning/penalties much more clearly and consistently, all the time. It should not matter if someone is hit. Other than a soft tap back, everything is subject to discipline. The actual hitting someone is irrelevant IMO. I've seen many many matches where players hit balls in anger "outside of play" and nothing happens, no warning, nothing. If the calls are made, players know there are consequences all the time, not only if the unintended happens.

If there was intent to injure/intimidate in any way with a racket or a ball etc, then there is a judgement call of disqualification or not.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8731 posts
908 upvotes

This reporter is laughing his @ss off right now, lol.

Honestly though if it such a "grey" area... just get rid of every lines person at every major touurnament... the technology is there already. Just as they did at the NextGen finals which worked out fine.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1068 upvotes
Woodbridge
sleepyguy wrote:

This reporter is laughing his @ss off right now, lol.

Honestly though if it such a "grey" area... just get rid of every lines person at every major touurnament... the technology is there already. Just as they did at the NextGen finals which worked out fine.
The Open is using Hawkeye Live as well on all courts except for Ashe and Armstrong. It was used in Cincinnati for all matches. The tech is good and it's accurate. It's expensive to set up, which is why it would be limited to just the top courts at the top tournaments. An unintended consequence of that that the ITF/ATP/WTA are thinking about is that if you remove line umpires from top tournaments, you remove a lot of incentive for people to get into umpiring in the first place. That could end up affecting the availability and quality of umpires at all levels of tennis below the slams and Masters 1000/WTA Premier events.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8731 posts
908 upvotes
Well that was a good run for the Canadians but FAA and Shapo both out... Shapo had a GOLDEN opportunity I think here... he is capable of beating Zverev (AZ not playing great this tourney) next round and he should have beat Busta but he was so inconsistent in key moments (two tie-breaks). FAA just ran out of gas it seems, or the moment was too big for him... Thiem played well though. Pospisil really had no chance of making it much further and had a very good draw to make it that far.

It's funny even the winner of this GS will always be considered as not a "real" GS, lol. Especially on the mens side with 2 not playing and 1 getting disqualified. Also big time player like Wawrinka not playing.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21158 posts
2495 upvotes
Toronto
Congrats goes to Thiem!

Tho Zverev will be kicking himself after being up 2 sets and 5-3 in that final set...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9530 posts
957 upvotes
Congrats to Naomi as well - 3 grand slams and counting.
Oct 21, 2006
517 posts
33 upvotes
Any recommendation for an indoor tennis club around Milton?
Aug 14, 2015
818 posts
533 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
mcg wrote: Congrats to Naomi as well - 3 grand slams and counting.
Princess of Tennis
Oct 21, 2006
517 posts
33 upvotes
cata2you wrote: There is Milton Winter Tennis Club
https://tennisclubs.ca/milton/#programs
New bubble as of 2019. Not very busy (yet!)
Many thanks. I'm trying to figure out the best way for my 4 kids to learn to play. It is better to buy a family membership (110 bookings) and teach all four? Also, I have my own coach. Does he need a separate membership?
Aug 1, 2008
119 posts
64 upvotes
Hood_Rep wrote: Many thanks. I'm trying to figure out the best way for my 4 kids to learn to play. It is better to buy a family membership (110 bookings) and teach all four? Also, I have my own coach. Does he need a separate membership?
Each player needs either a membership or pay a guest fee (good for a day). They may not allow outside couches though. You’ll need to check w them. They have their own group programs. For participating in junior programs some clubs don’t require membership. Other option is Dean’s Tennis Everyone in Mississauga (winter group programs @The Tennis School)