Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2014
1305 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This might rival that icestorm we had in 2013?

Because that looked like Toronto went through a zombie apocalypse with cars rolled over on the side, no power just about anywhere, and people taking selfies with frozen trees

People running around taking selfies was probably the worst thing that day
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11573 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
therollin wrote: I think we will definitely get freezing rain along with rain but like as you said it all depends on the the intensity of the precipitation and the temperature!!
Yep. My worries about losing my bet about snowstorms is long gone. I am only worried now about losing the chance to experience another epic weather event cuz even the freezing rain is starting to look less impressive and the storm now appears to have more moderate ice and a huge amount of rain. Looks like this will be more of a super soaker folks! But if we are lucky, enough rain might fall during the freezing rain segment that something fun might happen!

The icy mix part appears to go all the way up to cottage country so we are a very safe distance from the snow as we are also on the southern boundary of the ice part where we are very close to where it is all rain so this really became a more liquid oriented storm:
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11573 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
danny3526 wrote: This might rival that icestorm we had in 2013?

Because that looked like Toronto went through a zombie apocalypse with cars rolled over on the side, no power just about anywhere, and people taking selfies with frozen trees

People running around taking selfies was probably the worst thing that day
lol no. This storm looks more prone to a changeover to rain. It appears we could see a major portion of the precip fall as rain above zero so this ice storm will be dwarfed by that one! But if a heavy portion of precip sneaks in in the night in the midst of the freezing rain this could all change.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1374 posts
294 upvotes
Hey I have a flight due in at 12:42 PM on Thursday. I've been away from Toronto for 6 months and finally coming home for a visit. I'll be flying in from Calgary.

Should I expect delays?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11573 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Actually I think the flights wont have delays in any real way. Unlike snow which reduces visibility and accumulates easily, freezing rain is something that is easily treated on the surface and temps will eb above freezing by flight arrival time.
the only things that might lead to a delay are the following:
low ceiling
heavy rain
backlog of flights from earlier icing issues.

I see nothing else directly causing delays at that flight time.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4840 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
OP... I must have missed some posts. When did you predict the freezing rain be arrived in T.O.?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2789 posts
652 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like 0z NAM shifted more south.
looks like 10-20mm of ice/freezing rain in that run
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1374 posts
294 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Actually I think the flights wont have delays in any real way. Unlike snow which reduces visibility and accumulates easily, freezing rain is something that is easily treated on the surface and temps will eb above freezing by flight arrival time.
the only things that might lead to a delay are the following:
low ceiling
heavy rain
backlog of flights from earlier icing issues.

I see nothing else directly causing delays at that flight time.
That's a relief. Was worried I'd get stuck in Calgary airport all day due to flight cancellation or delay.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1944 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto
Is it going to be as bad as 2013?

The one positive I see compared to then is the temperature afterwards...we decided to ride it out and not go to a hotel and just praying we don't lose power.

Not sure if TDSB will close schools tomorrow or not but I am 99% sure my son won't go.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21168 posts
10617 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Simaahoy wrote: You know it's Spring when you smell dog poo everywhere at the park.
My dawg has been taking some smelly craps lately....
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1838 posts
500 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So the freezing rain has been called off?
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9255 posts
1705 upvotes
Toronto
traderjay wrote: So the freezing rain has been called off?
Tonight might be too cold for freezing rain so probably only snow tonight.

As it gets warmer tmr moring though and the transition from snow to rain takes place, there amy be some freezing rain in the mix.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6763 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
hopefully we only get some rain and can avoid it in Toronto :lol:

hope it does not cause chaos on roads, stay safe people and wear winter boots when going outside