Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote:
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Ok I was reading comments about the year of the ice storm to those that thought the ice storm year did not have so much cold, please look again. It was the year of the polar vortex and some of this city's coldest ever temps. The only year they closed Pearson for the cold. Not a cold winter? LOL! And I already discussed before how it shattered a record for number of consecituve days with snow on the ground. This says more about cold than anything because having snow last from Santa Claus parade till Easter means it was darn cold. Even though big snowfall was kind of lacking.
Come on. We all know there was snow on last year's Santa Claus parade!
Yes, but did not last till Easter. I don't know if we will ever have a repeat of 2013/14 again. If we do, I will be leasing more giant Mazda's! Anyone remember my giant Mazda?
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Kwando wrote: We should carpool lol

Umm seems like everyone else is also going so we need to accommodate everyone,
"Ontario/Population 13.6 million"
... is there a "car" big enough for that?

How about this giant Mazda. Will that do or do we need something bigger than that?
Image
But it's only 300m long. We might not be able to fit everyone in :confused:
This Mazda!
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: Someone at work said that there's gonna be 20cm of snow on Friday. True?
Hey since winter where have you been?
blahhh
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1097 posts
110 upvotes
Burlington
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:Ok I was reading comments about the year of the ice storm to those that thought the ice storm year did not have so much cold, please look again. It was the year of the polar vortex and some of this city's coldest ever temps. The only year they closed Pearson for the cold. Not a cold winter? LOL! And I already discussed before how it shattered a record for number of consecituve days with snow on the ground. This says more about cold than anything because having snow last from Santa Claus parade till Easter means it was darn cold. Even though big snowfall was kind of lacking.
willdacanucker wrote:
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:Ok I was reading comments about the year of the ice storm to those that thought the ice storm year did not have so much cold, please look again. It was the year of the polar vortex and some of this city's coldest ever temps. The only year they closed Pearson for the cold. Not a cold winter? LOL! And I already discussed before how it shattered a record for number of consecituve days with snow on the ground. This says more about cold than anything because having snow last from Santa Claus parade till Easter means it was darn cold. Even though big snowfall was kind of lacking.
Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. Those vortex winters were so unbearable brutal it took a good 25 minutes before I went anywhere to insulate my then baby boy. Even then I chose where I could go wisely but getting the older kids from school I HAD to go out. Even with my winter gear on my nostrils froze and it burned to breathe some days.
I responded with actual records of daily temperatures of those winters (post 16974 above) and you guys respond with vague memories! :facepalm:
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20686 posts
4826 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
sandikosh wrote:
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Ok I was reading comments about the year of the ice storm to those that thought the ice storm year did not have so much cold, please look again. It was the year of the polar vortex and some of this city's coldest ever temps. The only year they closed Pearson for the cold. Not a cold winter? LOL! And I already discussed before how it shattered a record for number of consecituve days with snow on the ground. This says more about cold than anything because having snow last from Santa Claus parade till Easter means it was darn cold. Even though big snowfall was kind of lacking.
Come on. We all know there was snow on last year's Santa Claus parade!
Yes, but did not last till Easter. I don't know if we will ever have a repeat of 2013/14 again. If we do, I will be leasing more giant Mazda's! Anyone remember my giant Mazda?
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Kwando wrote: We should carpool lol

Umm seems like everyone else is also going so we need to accommodate everyone,
"Ontario/Population 13.6 million"
... is there a "car" big enough for that?

How about this giant Mazda. Will that do or do we need something bigger than that?
Image
But it's only 300m long. We might not be able to fit everyone in :confused:
This Mazda!
Sorry. It should have meant NO snow.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote:
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
sandikosh wrote:

Come on. We all know there was snow on last year's Santa Claus parade!
Yes, but did not last till Easter. I don't know if we will ever have a repeat of 2013/14 again. If we do, I will be leasing more giant Mazda's! Anyone remember my giant Mazda?
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:


Umm seems like everyone else is also going so we need to accommodate everyone,
"Ontario/Population 13.6 million"
... is there a "car" big enough for that?

How about this giant Mazda. Will that do or do we need something bigger than that?
Image
But it's only 300m long. We might not be able to fit everyone in :confused:
This Mazda!
Sorry. It should have meant NO snow.
Ok so I dug up that stupid Mazda for nothing LOL

Anyways I will bring it back in a few months.

Toronto almost never gets snow for Santa claus parade because it is so early. Actually even that year, it did not start till a bit after it. I remember the snowbanks at Barries parade. Not only is it later, but the snow also comes earlier there.
blahhh
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
20344 posts
2912 upvotes
Niagara Falls
CenturyBreak wrote:
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:Ok I was reading comments about the year of the ice storm to those that thought the ice storm year did not have so much cold, please look again. It was the year of the polar vortex and some of this city's coldest ever temps. The only year they closed Pearson for the cold. Not a cold winter? LOL! And I already discussed before how it shattered a record for number of consecituve days with snow on the ground. This says more about cold than anything because having snow last from Santa Claus parade till Easter means it was darn cold. Even though big snowfall was kind of lacking.
willdacanucker wrote:
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:Ok I was reading comments about the year of the ice storm to those that thought the ice storm year did not have so much cold, please look again. It was the year of the polar vortex and some of this city's coldest ever temps. The only year they closed Pearson for the cold. Not a cold winter? LOL! And I already discussed before how it shattered a record for number of consecituve days with snow on the ground. This says more about cold than anything because having snow last from Santa Claus parade till Easter means it was darn cold. Even though big snowfall was kind of lacking.
Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. Those vortex winters were so unbearable brutal it took a good 25 minutes before I went anywhere to insulate my then baby boy. Even then I chose where I could go wisely but getting the older kids from school I HAD to go out. Even with my winter gear on my nostrils froze and it burned to breathe some days.
I responded with actual records of daily temperatures of those winters (post 16974 above) and you guys respond with vague memories! :facepalm:

janeandfinh's comment does not seem like just a memory, but since you want to be smug about it, I looked up some numbers.

Average mean temps for Jan 2005 - 2015
2005 -5.4
2006 1.1
2007 -1.7
2008 -0.9
2009 -7
2010 -4.2
2011 -5.2
2012 -0.7
2013 -1.2
2014 -7.1
2015 -5.9


So in a 10 year span, there was 1 year that had a colder mean temperature in the city of Toronto for the month of January.

Feel free to look at all the numbers you'd like: http://climate.weather.gc.ca/prods_serv ... ary_e.html

Have fun smacking your face.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
631 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Evil Baby wrote:
CenturyBreak wrote:
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:Ok I was reading comments about the year of the ice storm to those that thought the ice storm year did not have so much cold, please look again. It was the year of the polar vortex and some of this city's coldest ever temps. The only year they closed Pearson for the cold. Not a cold winter? LOL! And I already discussed before how it shattered a record for number of consecituve days with snow on the ground. This says more about cold than anything because having snow last from Santa Claus parade till Easter means it was darn cold. Even though big snowfall was kind of lacking.
willdacanucker wrote:

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. Those vortex winters were so unbearable brutal it took a good 25 minutes before I went anywhere to insulate my then baby boy. Even then I chose where I could go wisely but getting the older kids from school I HAD to go out. Even with my winter gear on my nostrils froze and it burned to breathe some days.
I responded with actual records of daily temperatures of those winters (post 16974 above) and you guys respond with vague memories! :facepalm:

janeandfinh's comment does not seem like just a memory, but since you want to be smug about it, I looked up some numbers.


So in a 10 year span, there was 1 year that had a colder mean temperature in the city of Toronto for the month of January.

Feel free to look at all the numbers you'd like: http://climate.weather.gc.ca/prods_serv ... ary_e.html

Have fun smacking your face.
Face With Tears Of Joy
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
631 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
TWN fall "forecast"

TWN literally said
With the forecast for “above normal” temperatures for so much of the country, we need to keep in mind that fall is a transitional season in which frequent fluctuations in temperature should be expected and “normal” temperatures steadily drop by one to two degrees per week. Warm falls will still have periods of cold weather and vice versa
So in other words there will be weather. There may be warm weather or may be cold weather. It might rain or it might not rain. It will be sunny or may not be sunny. :facepalm:


Wish I got paid to make vague statements and call myself a "professional".
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4121 posts
924 upvotes
Sask.
^ Exactly how I feel. Weather is weather. Here it can change in five minutes.

Went from having to have the furnace on yesterday morning, to a nice sunny day in the teens today.
Through to the weekend, it should climb to the low 20s.
Nice crunchy leaves to walk on outside, though. The riverbank's trees are turning colour, it's looking so beautiful.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Wow, at least now I know there will be weather in the fall too! Thanks TWN!
blahhh
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20686 posts
4826 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Hopefully the fall weather is better than last year's one.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1097 posts
110 upvotes
Burlington
sandikosh wrote: Hopefully the fall weather is better than last year's one.
Fingers crossed, but it's not looking good to start: above normal for most of the next two weeks... with overnight lows nearly as high as the daily highs should be. Smiling Face With Horns

Image

Edit: Grrrrr... I hate Imgur! Time to go back to Photobucket! :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Yes still like the last time I said this: 1 day AT seasonal, the rest SEVERAL degrees ABOVE seasonal!
blahhh
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
631 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Yes still like the last time I said this: 1 day AT seasonal, the rest SEVERAL degrees ABOVE seasonal!
Image
[Signature removed due to rule violation]

Top