Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11573 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
CenturyBreak wrote: Yeah... back to miserable well-above-normal weather for the next week in the GTA. Yechh!

We wait expectantly for pleasant/comfortable/uplifting autumn weather all summer and what do we get in October? We're not expected to see normal temps (highs of 15) until next Wednesday. Grrrrrrrrr. Smiling Face With Horns
I was complaining about how hot the house was. NO AC!!! Just because it is October, now AC is not an option. If it were June, it would be on with the same temperature we have now!, because this is too warm. I am smarter than that. I don't look at the calendar, I look at the thermometer. If it is not summer, but it is for some reason hot, the AC goes on, no questions asked.
blahhh
Jan 11, 2012
176 posts
15 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Almost 11 AM on Oct. 4. Can it be +22 all year round? ;)

Hot end of September and nice early October, I will take low 20s any time.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
630 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Please tell me proper fall weather is coming and going to stick around.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6115 posts
1402 upvotes
Richmond Hill
the weathernetwork's 14 day forecast shows weather back to seasonal (~16C) starting Oct 11
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11573 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Good a lil rain to cool the place down. Just what I need right about now.
blahhh
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Um yah. Keep in mind, we made it all the way to October now. Nights are now supposed to be only 5 and days up to 16.
We were stuck around 20 all night. That's warm! for this time of year!
Even summer, nights don't average this warm!
I wasn't aware weather was supposed to be static.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11573 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
AndySixx wrote: I wasn't aware weather was supposed to be static.
Who said it is supposed to be static? I never said it!
Welcome to Canada where we have these things called seasons.
It is Oct 4, 20 degree nights are very abnormal this time of year, I was discussing what is normal (and not) for the time of year. I guess you kinda didn't pick up on that.
I think it is time someone learn what is normal in July and what is normal in Autumn.
Warm 20 degrees night in October, nice? maybe, normal, no.

btw, I saw something published saying Sept was warmest ever recorded, but only a few sources say it. So I can't confirm. I need lots of mainstream sources to confirm something.
If it is true, I am not surprised. I found warmer than normal right across from the far north to the mountain west to eastern Canada. And it was just way to warm in Toronto this month!
blahhh
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Who said it is supposed to be static? I never said it!
Welcome to Canada where we have these things called seasons.
It is Oct 4, 20 degree nights are very abnormal this time of year, I was discussing what is normal (and not) for the time of year. I guess you kinda didn't pick up on that.
I think it is time someone learn what is normal in July and what is normal in Autumn.
Warm 20 degrees night in October, nice? maybe, normal, no.

btw, I saw something published saying Sept was warmest ever recorded, but only a few sources say it. So I can't confirm. I need lots of mainstream sources to confirm something.
If it is true, I am not surprised. I found warmer than normal right across from the far north to the mountain west to eastern Canada. And it was just way to warm in Toronto this month!
"who said it is supposed to be static, I never said it!"
"we have this thing called seasons"
"whaat? hot weather in October?"
"learn what is normal in July and what is normal in Autumn"

Translation: I expect the weather in October 2015 to be the same as October 2016, October 2017, and October 2018. I don't really need to do much work, you're doing it all for me.

I have no idea where you got your expectations for weather given humans are horrible at predicting weather and climate alike, The only things that are clear are: Weather and climate aren't static, and humans don't know that much yet.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11573 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
One thing we know. October is NOT supposed to be such a warm month!
wtf happened to the planet! lol
In elementary school back less than 2 decades ago, for me early October meant frost, even snow pellets. Now look at what we are getting!
Frost used to be a common feature of early Oct. That is just how Oct was. Things have changed now.
blahhh
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10019 posts
1494 upvotes
For once (not that I care) it may actually be a decent Halloween? Or is it way too early?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9087 posts
3898 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: No wonder I am uncomfortable. It is middle of the night and it is a balmy 20 degrees, in OCTOBER! Seriously summer, give it up. Your time is done.
Wish it was like that last weekend....cold and windy Friday...cold sat :(
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1097 posts
110 upvotes
Burlington
Pochacco wrote: Wish it was like that last weekend....cold and windy Friday...cold sat :(
Cold? Friday? It was 18!

Cold Saturday? I'm guessing you weren't outside on Saturday, where it was nice and warm in the sun, yet still comfortable in the shade!

It still wasn't a perfect weekend... would've had to have been ~ 15 during the day for that... but I'll take it, compared to the rest of the sh!tty weather we've had the past month! Smiling Face With Horns
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9087 posts
3898 upvotes
Toronto
CenturyBreak wrote: Cold? Friday? It was 18!

Cold Saturday? I'm guessing you weren't outside on Saturday, where it was nice and warm in the sun, yet still comfortable in the shade!

It still wasn't a perfect weekend... would've had to have been ~ 15 during the day for that... but I'll take it, compared to the rest of the sh!tty weather we've had the past month! Smiling Face With Horns

It was cold and windy.... To the pt we couldn't start the BBQ at yurt camping!!!

Fire heater was on inside the yurt the whole time.

Sat wasn't warm, though it was a beautiful day .

We have people wishing it would be colder and wants October weather alrsyd. I on the other want warmer weather as we didn't have much summer this year.
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1097 posts
110 upvotes
Burlington
Pochacco wrote: It was cold and windy.... To the pt we couldn't start the BBQ at yurt camping!!!

Fire heater was on inside the yurt the whole time.

Sat wasn't warm, though it was a beautiful day .

We have people wishing it would be colder and wants October weather alrsyd. I on the other want warmer weather as we didn't have much summer this year.
Where were you camping? I can imagine it would feel cooler outside the city!

As mentioned, Saturday wasn't bad. I spent the late afternoon (~4 - 6pm) outside, and as usual with bright sunny days, it was hot in the sun. Fortunately, I had the shade of a few trees to shield me from the deadly rays... ;)

As for summer, we had more rain than usual in June and parts of July, but it was still hot all summer long. As posted previously:
As mentioned above, July was essentially hot all month and there were plenty of hot days (over 28) the first half of August (9 of 15 days). The beginning of June was comfortable, but with the heat waves of the 10th - 12th and 16th - 18th, it was warm to hot for the rest of the month.

Another way of looking at it: from June 29 through August 15 (48 days), there were only 11 days where the highs were below 27... and 9 days with highs in the 30s.

So, as mentioned, less miserable than the past few summers, but still a lot of hot, humid days.
And:
August was much drier, and not as hot: only 4 days in the 30s... but still 14 of 31 days with highs of 27 and above... so still a lot of hot!

You're also right that we haven't had as many extremely hot days this summer compared to the past few years... but that's what I've already written several times. ;) The past few summers, we've had at least one day hitting 38 (before adding the humidex) and stretches of several days in the mid-30s.

You're also right that the hottest day this year was still in spring: June 12 at 33, following 31 on the 10th and 32 on the 11th. On the other hand, July 30 - Aug 3 was no picnic either: 31, 32, 32, 31... and Aug 19 - 22 with overnight lows still in the mid 20s and highs of 29 - 30 was pretty miserable as well! Smiling Face With Horns
In addition, that was followed by our September madness: the 14th through the 27th, with average highs of 29 (with four straight days in the 30s, the 23rd though 26th... i.e. in autumn!) and morning lows above 20!

So, yeah... we still had a HOT summer. The only difference from 'normal' is that we had more rain for the first half of summer, followed by by a drought from the beginning of August until, well... it hasn't really ended yet! Angry Face

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)