Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote: Best news yet! How many cms?
This is a big maybe. I barely see the right conditions so I can't say for now.
You need a direct flow out of the north for this to happen and this is still not showing up in the GFS.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I am pretty lucky that I never seem to get caught by unfavorable weather. We have not been getting rain to make me wet when I go out. I can't remember the last time I was inconvenienced by rain when going out. And looks like the coming 7 days will also be favorable.
blahhh
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10050 posts
2643 upvotes
so im looking at the the models from weatheronline, and it looks like a prolonged cold is coming for most of north america, is that accurate, or am i reading it wrong,

i picked tempurature high 2M, and put it on loop, its showing negative temps for much of the US and certainale almost all of canada.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
rocking23nf wrote: so im looking at the the models from weatheronline, and it looks like a prolonged cold is coming for most of north america, is that accurate, or am i reading it wrong,

i picked tempurature high 2M, and put it on loop, its showing negative temps for much of the US and certainale almost all of canada.
Don't know what model you have. I use the CFS model for long term. Looks warm to me.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Exactly one month till I get out of Toronto. Nov 24. I am glad to leave and never come back. I am having terrible experiences here.
Kitchener, Barrie, Hamilton, st Catherine's, sarnia, Oshawa, Kingston, Belleville, orillia, London, Sherbrooke all better. I will try each of these cities and see what is best for me. I am DONE with Toronto. I know it will be cold, but I don't care about the climate. Barrie was always better.
Last edited by Ilovejaneandfinch on Oct 24th, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blahhh
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10050 posts
2643 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Don't know what model you have. I use the CFS model for long term. Looks warm to me.
im picking your CFS model on page 1
then im selecting TEMP high 2M
then im selecting loop
it looks alot warmer now then when i ran it 3-4 hours ago, it was showing cold all the way down to the deep south US.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
rocking23nf wrote: im picking your CFS model on page 1
then im selecting TEMP high 2M
then im selecting loop
it looks alot warmer now then when i ran it 3-4 hours ago, it was showing cold all the way down to the deep south US.
Yes. CFS is showing warm now. Very few of its runs had that cold. I think I only saw cold appear once.
blahhh
Penalty Box
Aug 21, 2008
547 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Exactly one month till I get out of Toronto. Nov 24. I am glad to leave and never come back. I am having terrible experiences here.
Kitchener, Barrie, Hamilton, st Catherine's, sarnia, Oshawa, Kingston, Belleville, orillia, London, Sherbrooke all better. I will try each of these cities and see what is best for me. I am DONE with Toronto. I know it will be cold, but I don't care about the climate. Barrie was always better.
Out of curiousity what kind of experiences?
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Exactly one month till I get out of Toronto. Nov 24. I am glad to leave and never come back. I am having terrible experiences here.
Kitchener, Barrie, Hamilton, st Catherine's, sarnia, Oshawa, Kingston, Belleville, orillia, London, Sherbrooke all better. I will try each of these cities and see what is best for me. I am DONE with Toronto. I know it will be cold, but I don't care about the climate. Barrie was always better.
But Jane and Finch will miss you. Face Screaming In Fear

Maybe they'll have a 21 gun salute with some complementary sirens.

Anyways, on the subject.. as a native Californian, the GL climate is just way too humid for me. Southern Alberta can be nerve wracking sometimes with the wind and hay fever inducing springs/falls, the dry climate/weather is so much more bearable for me.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Discount wrote: Out of curiousity what kind of experiences?
I don't wish to get into details. Let's just say that people act nicer to me outside the city. I think I am going to Bradford Nov 24, then Barrie Dec 1.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
AndySixx wrote: But Jane and Finch will miss you. Face Screaming In Fear

Maybe they'll have a 21 gun salute with some complementary sirens.

Anyways, on the subject.. as a native Californian, the GL climate is just way too humid for me. Southern Alberta can be nerve wracking sometimes with the wind and hay fever inducing springs/falls, the dry climate/weather is so much more bearable for me.
I was looking at Medicine Hat. For more than a year, their climate has been remarkably warm for being that far north in a country like Canada. Above and below freezing for a bit in the winter, pleasant cool just before and after the core of winter and long months of warm to hot the rest of the year. My kind of place.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Rogues2017 wrote: Are we getting snowfall this weekend? I am expected to travel to Niagara falls this weekend. According to this link it doesnt look good. https://www.narcity.com/amp/ontario-to- ... -this-week.
If it comes to Toronto, it will be even lower probability down there though. So don't expect any, not likely within Toronto either.
blahhh
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I was looking at Medicine Hat. For more than a year, their climate has been remarkably warm for being that far north in a country like Canada. Above and below freezing for a bit in the winter, pleasant cool just before and after the core of winter and long months of warm to hot the rest of the year. My kind of place.
Bit of a note on that "warm" weather..

It's because of the winds. Here they call them Chinooks.. in California they called them Santa Ana winds.

While that's good, the downside is, when you wake up in the morning and see its warm and nice looking outside, you still prepare for the worst weather. I've never lived in a region where the weather changes so quickly and frequently, and in one day you can see all seasons of weather very easily.

Other than that, I've taken note of the development of MH and Lethbridge (since I came to Alberta).. I've actually been trying to convince the wife to move to LB for a few years now. Houses there are a tad more reasonable than here.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
AndySixx wrote: Bit of a note on that "warm" weather..

It's because of the winds. Here they call them Chinooks.. in California they called them Santa Ana winds.

While that's good, the downside is, when you wake up in the morning and see its warm and nice looking outside, you still prepare for the worst weather. I've never lived in a region where the weather changes so quickly and frequently, and in one day you can see all seasons of weather very easily.

Other than that, I've taken note of the development of MH and Lethbridge (since I came to Alberta).. I've actually been trying to convince the wife to move to LB for a few years now. Houses there are a tad more reasonable than here.
I know all about that. I am OP of the weather thread lol
But it is good though. If you like warm, nothing wrong with having it. It goes well below freezing too, but in the period I referred too, it has not been all too often. I would not mind living in MH. Definitely not too cold for me. I don't want cold too often.
blahhh

Top