Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5738 posts
5889 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote: Negative.

First I saw the lightning, then anticipated the bang. But instead, I heard this weird humming noise...

Then the power went out briefly, at least 3 times.

If branches fell, power wouldn't come back in munites. If it weren't physical it must have been magnetic influences.
Still not sure if you're serious, what you are describing is textbook ice storm behavior that has nothing to do with lighting/thunder:

1. Branches falling on wires == short circuit arcing/flashing that, in foggy/rainy weather, can look like lighting
2. Short circuit triggers localized variances in electrical patterns, causing transformers to humm/etc
3. If the branch/short is severe enough, transformer stations will isolate/disconnect the affected line
4. After a certain period (60 seconds, etc) transformer station will reconnect the segment
5. If by then branch has fallen to ground, or is no longer contacting wires, power returns normally

Rinse, lather and repeat the above for branches all over your neighborhood swinging in the wind and contacting wires, you have exactly what you describe:

* Flashing lights in the sky due to arcing
* Humming sounds due to transformer overloads, power redirection, harmonics on wires, etc
* Power fluctuations, temporary cutouts, and auto-reconnection

Note that it's quite possible your area did experience lightning and thunder (mine didn't) it just that this isn't the only possible explanation.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5834 posts
1358 upvotes
GTA
hoob wrote: Still not sure if you're serious, what you are describing is textbook ice storm behavior that has nothing to do with lighting/thunder:

1. Branches falling on wires == short circuit arcing/flashing that, in foggy/rainy weather, can look like lighting
2. Short circuit triggers localized variances in electrical patterns, causing transformers to humm/etc
3. If the branch/short is severe enough, transformer stations will isolate/disconnect the affected line
4. After a certain period (60 seconds, etc) transformer station will reconnect the segment
5. If by then branch has fallen to ground, or is no longer contacting wires, power returns normally

Rinse, lather and repeat the above for branches all over your neighborhood swinging in the wind and contacting wires, you have exactly what you describe:

* Flashing lights in the sky due to arcing
* Humming sounds due to transformer overloads, power redirection, harmonics on wires, etc
* Power fluctuations, temporary cutouts, and auto-reconnection

Note that it's quite possible your area did experience lightning and thunder (mine didn't) it just that this isn't the only possible explanation.
Yes I understand the load variance and humming may be correlated. Yes the humming sounds too electrical to be naturally occurring.

That's implying a major Scarborough substation blow up affecting North York power. The weird thing is, the lightning and the humming looked/sounded like being far away, >10KM. After a small delay, my light started flickering and power interrupted.

So the load variance must be citywide and it's caused by local branches falling?? I don't recall another instance like this...
Oct 9, 2017
160 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
This winter has been brutal with the freezing rain, ice pellets crapola. This storm was the worst one for freezing precipitation but there were others this winter too.

I tried shovelling and it was soooooo heavy, it felt like a million pounds per shovel. I'm just going to let it melt on its own.

Ridiculous today is April 16 and it looks like February outside. This winter started in mid Dec and it's mid April now.
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
65 posts
3 upvotes
tk1000 wrote: Postponed to tomorrow...

Interesting tidbit, last time a game was cancelled at Skydome was against KC Royals as well.

IIRC it was for the roof also
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21168 posts
10618 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Month check please....

mid april 2018 or mid january 2018? Or did we time travel ahead to Jan 2019?
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54015 posts
18965 upvotes
Wow, JohnnyD just got banned and he hasn't reached his first month here.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13050 posts
3527 upvotes
RFD
Is this madness now officially over? Watch it snow and in May or June just to make us go crazy... :(
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
630 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
radeonboy wrote: Is this madness now officially over? Watch it snow and in May or June just to make us go crazy... :(
Or worse. Finally get good weather for June and July then BAM! Autumn in August.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)