Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19487 posts
6650 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Still no signs in this neighborhood that anything abnormal is up... no ice on the ground an the neighbors across the street are having a big xmas party from the looks of it lol, people keep arriving an parking on the street.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
BinaryJay wrote: Still no signs in this neighborhood that anything abnormal is up... no ice on the ground an the neighbors across the street are having a big xmas party from the looks of it lol, people keep arriving an parking on the street.
Wow what a difference. Because the other areas are also not far from the lake and they are almost turning into a war zone with those transformers. Again, I am so thankful that the parts of T-dot that I wanted to escape this storm ARE escaping it because it is a disaster elsewhere.
blahhh
Nov 29, 2008
685 posts
71 upvotes
Markham
Heard a lot of power outages in the suburbs. Mostly caused by tree on power lines.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
From twitter

"Just saw a transformer blow in Campbellville. Looked so cool but now everything's pitch black ������"

that was just too funny!
It seems most tweets about things this bad are from the Toronto region only. Out of all places in North America! only here in the GTA. That is how bad this is.
Bamelin wrote: Incidents here: http://www.toronto.ca/fire/cadinfo/livecad.htm

that's ALOT of power lines.

I'm scared I don't want to lose power. Going to charge my phone
glad I moved from St Clair n Keele cause I would be without power there mostl likely. I am so safe here where I am now. I am lovin it here near Donlands stn. No power outages. But I pray for all you without power as this storm is a very serious matter.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2296 posts
791 upvotes
Working on dashcam vid of the transformer explosions.....will post asap!!
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1379 posts
305 upvotes
My brother just saw fire truck and police blitz by on Kingston no doubt headed to transformer
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1379 posts
305 upvotes
So much for my "only the suburbs will be affected" logic
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Bamelin wrote: So much for my "only the suburbs will be affected" logic
yup that's just what I just thought
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I am in a region that I thought was in the core "yay! I got away with nothing" zone on the Danforth. But the truth is that one of the places mentioned in this thread having explosion/outage was not too far up from where I am. It was Danforth. I just hope it doesn't get too much closer to me. I won't be happy if I am stuck without power, freeze, and am locked out of the weather thread by my "own" storm.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
OMG there are like a gazillion tweets about Toronto but almost EVERY one of them is about the weather!
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
went outside for a walk, smelled like rubbing alcohol in heavy dose! :D (made me somewhat high) :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Hey does anyone know if transformers blow even without trees falling on them? Do they blow up just because of the ice that's on them?
blahhh
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19487 posts
6650 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Just took the garbage out to my detached garage, the water is still just dripping off the roof of the garage no icicles, no ice on the trees. Called my mom in the beaches and she said it's just regular boring rain.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4094 posts
413 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
The radar looks so colourful for Toronto!
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14407 posts
3438 upvotes
what does "Wires Down - Hydro" mean?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Just checked and it has also just gotten down to minus one all around the lakeshore area in the east end. Most of Toronto is about -0.6
blahhh
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Hey does anyone know if transformers blow even without trees falling on them? Do they blow up just because of the ice that's on them?
They shouldn't. Most are designed for the weather. I'd guess that most of them are being caused by trees falling on the lines causing them to blow.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote: what does "Wires Down - Hydro" mean?
That the wires have been knocked down by something, i.e.: a tree most likely.