Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2020 4:00 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18623 posts
1919 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I don’t care for extremes and putting aside our petty preference for one or the other the more concerning aspect is major phenomenons like flooding in Montreal. Will it become the norm in more and more Canada?

S
Having it occur here in the gta was a very sobering experience. Literally water levels as high as go trains was such a surreal thing to watch and witness.
Oct 9, 2017
160 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
The jet stream is being affected by the warming of the arctic and now it's going haywire at times and dipping to places it doesn't usually (like all the snow that fell in places like Nevada, Arizona and California).

The alaskan jet stream ridge of winter of 2014 made for the huge polar vortex that year which brought about some of the coldest weather to places that rarely see it in the southern U.S.

I'm sure someone will say "What is your proof of climate change?" but I'm not about to get into arguments. Things are shifting on the planet. We are going to see record cold and warmth due to the jet stream changes.

I personally don't know if there is anything we can do about it. Not sure if a carbon tax will fix anything personally.

The problem is nations like India and China who are the major polluters who are developing into a western like culture and want all the toys the west has. Who are we to say they can't have their toys too? It's a slippery slope. I don't pretend to know what will happen but the picture isn't looking that good anymore. One day at a time, I guess.
Jun 14, 2009
560 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Correct, it's inevitable wild swings, flooding etc will become more prevalent as the years come, no stopping it in my view... Canada is ill equipped for this as evidenced by a reactionary populace... Today bracebridge, next few years, it'll be some other Ontario city... Decades of "carelessness" have come to roost. nimbysm is so prevalent in society yet people really don't see that other nations will not follow carbon taxes etc hence they will still eventually be affected. So polluters from other nations will affect Canada for sure, just like the global stock mkts are now intertwined and there is no way to escape another continents recession... I expect this type of may weather to become the norm, less warmth and more rainfall for Ontario in the future and for sure more flooding... Good luck...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
8556 posts
3366 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote: -1 later in Toronto. Great temps for May
So cold brrrrrrr
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Oct 9, 2017
160 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
It's May 13 tomorrow and the high in Toronto is like 7c. We are way below normal since really October of last year. I remember the spring forecast that The Weather Network put out and they claimed it would be coast to coast warmth by the end of March. Never happened. It seems like springs lately are colder than normal and more rainier than normal. I hope the summer holds onto the cool pattern which at this rate we will be lucky to hit 30c this summer. So much rain too, the grass is so green this year, no one has to spend money watering the lawn.
Apr 26, 2012
422 posts
13 upvotes
7 degrees this morning in Toronto, in mid-May. Victoria Day long weekend is coming up, and isn't that supposed to be the "unofficial start to summer"? This is getting depressing.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18623 posts
1919 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Now chocolate season just got extended a little longer. Shut up and drink up!

autocorrect you’ve made me look like a fool again!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18623 posts
1919 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Summer actually feels like summer now, eh?

This is pretty good weather as is. Any colder or hotter would be a drag.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2017
1991 posts
962 upvotes
It got windy today :(
I want some heatwaves lol I forget the feeling of sweating in the sun ;)
Oct 9, 2017
160 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
The last week of May looks sunny in Toronto/GTA which is going to be so nice. Even though the temperature will only be like 20c with the sun being so high in the sky, it should feel nice. So glad, all the rain was getting me depressed. Once a week rainstorms are ok but every day gets annoying. Still prefer rain to snow though.

Also, for anyone interested, the Weather Network will be releasing their summer forecast on Monday, May 27. Usually their website has a summary of their forecast if you don't have cable. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Oct 9, 2017
160 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
Supercooled wrote: Now chocolate season just got extended a little longer. Shut up and drink up!

autocorrect you’ve made me look like a fool again!

Yes, hot chocolate season is fun but I'm ready for the hot beverages to come to an end and enjoy a cold bottle of water on a warm summer's day. Nothing beats cold showers in the middle of July. It's the little things that brings me joy. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3362 posts
580 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
If we could go a couple days with neither rain or heavy winds, I would be so happy. It's either one or the other every. single. day. It's relentless.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)