Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Dec 18, 2008
371 posts
175 upvotes
pintobean wrote: Power just went out in the east end of Markham (Cornell area). I'm walking my dog right now, and I can see that the lights are off all the way up Ninth Line into Stouffville. And the mothers on my wife's Facebook mommies group are saying the power is out in a huge area of Markham.
Power was out from 10pm to around 1230am. I am at Markham Rd and Steeles area
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2082 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
26 hours the power was off for here and has just come back on! It woke me up!
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11570 posts
2094 upvotes
Toronto
highway wrote: It's brutal at Yonge and Finch. Just thawed out my car after many attempts so i can charge my phone.
Can't do this another day.

Went for a drive with a friend searching for gas. Many places ran out!
I used a crowbar to open the door and help chip the thicker parts.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2082 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
One thing I want to say is about Toronto Hydro. I know they are VERY busy but just wish they could have a proper recorded message with estimated time. For example they had a very short one saying Yonge/Eglinton was projected to be back at 3PM. They could update it with major intersections hourly.

They could even update Twitter with this info as well.

We have been completely in the dark for the last 12 hours or so with no clue about anything.
Dec 13, 2011
126 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
cardle wrote: One thing I want to say is about Toronto Hydro. I know they are VERY busy but just wish they could have a proper recorded message with estimated time. For example they had a very short one saying Yonge/Eglinton was projected to be back at 3PM. They could update it with major intersections hourly.

They could even update Twitter with this info as well.

We have been completely in the dark for the last 12 hours or so with no clue about anything.
considering the amount of work they're probably going through right now, id atleast give him that leeway lol
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2082 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
xtreme26 wrote: considering the amount of work they're probably going through right now, id atleast give him that leeway lol
But they are regularly updating their twitter ;)
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12886 posts
1232 upvotes
No power approaching 10 hours. Plenty of water, juice, snacks, candles stocked up. Got my mag lite flash lights with spare batteries. Charged my external battery pack at work so I can use my phone for entertainment while it's quiet. Gonna have to bbq the steaks I have tomorrow before they die in the fridge...
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Dec 13, 2011
126 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
cardle wrote: But they are regularly updating their twitter ;)
who knows, maybe the p.r. is on the road too to get work done haha
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1594 posts
581 upvotes
Toronto
cardle wrote: But they are regularly updating their twitter ;)
I was out for about 18 hours today but finally just got it back.

Powerstream is doing a fantastic job of updating their twitter too. Their outage website is terrible but their twitter account is awesome. Updates every few minutes literally. Any company that dispatches a team just to keep customers informed is pretty amazing considering that they are essentially a monopoly and don't really have to provide any sort of customer service.

Good luck to all those who still don't yet have power. It won't be long before you get yours back!
May 10, 2007
947 posts
213 upvotes
Etobicoke
Just got my power back on. Phew, what a relief! Christmas is saved. Hope those of you without power get yours back ASAP. Hang in there.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11400 posts
1411 upvotes
Power at danforth/coxwell came back on about 20 minutes ago.
May 30, 2006
186 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
So cold, so very very cold. Going on on 20 hours mark without power at the Jane and Eglintion area. I can survive, my poor parrot must be freezing.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11400 posts
1411 upvotes
makaveli191 wrote: So cold, so very very cold. Going on on 20 hours mark without power at the Jane and Eglintion area. I can survive, my poor parrot must be freezing.
I broke out my camping sleeping bag , throw a few more blankets around and I was snug as the proverbial bug. Do you have a friend or relative's place you can bring your parrot to? Is it safe for your parrot?
May 30, 2006
186 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
slowtyper wrote: I broke out my camping sleeping bag , throw a few more blankets around and I was snug as the proverbial bug. Do you have a friend or relative's place you can bring your parrot to? Is it safe for your parrot?
Yeah, she wrapped up in a couple of Canada goose jackets. Im gonna make arrangements for her today if no power comes back
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4136 upvotes
Toronto
Still no power for over 25 hours now. Also barely any connection to Mobilicity. Only now Finally I've just been able to connect to data...
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4069 posts
2736 upvotes
Toronto
Power is back!!!!!!! Brimley and Steeles area (Scarborough side) after about 26 hours in the dark...
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14424 posts
3464 upvotes
Still no power at finch n don mills
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8493 posts
1631 upvotes
gqbluez wrote: I was out for about 18 hours today but finally just got it back.

Powerstream is doing a fantastic job of updating their twitter too. Their outage website is terrible but their twitter account is awesome. Updates every few minutes literally. Any company that dispatches a team just to keep customers informed is pretty amazing considering that they are essentially a monopoly and don't really have to provide any sort of customer service.

Good luck to all those who still don't yet have power. It won't be long before you get yours back!
Agreed, Powerstream's been really good with updates and posting information on their Twitter account, just sent them and the crews my thanks. Power went out yesterday at about 1pm in the afternoon in the Yonge and Stouffville Rd area... was back up at 9:15pm so we were down only a little more then 8 hrs, quite thankful as I realize that is short compared to most people and we didn't have any outages at night so we were able to have heat.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5730 posts
323 upvotes
Still no power here between Leslie and Don mills west of fairview mall.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41945 posts
6611 upvotes
Still no power. Friend off Gamble and 19th received power last night at 9pm. Been more than 24 hours now and looks like Power Stream is taking their time lol.

Bayview and Stouffville Rd here.
Proud to be an Indian.