Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6317 posts
1180 upvotes
Toronto hydro IVR says power restored in Brian and van Horne. But power in our neighbourhood has NOT been restored. Blackout and cold. Water frozen in tub.

I knew this area will be last to be restored.

We're in the crawl space cuz it's warm there.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
therollin wrote: you snooze you lose!
:razz:
Lol I was busy replying to JACKIE26

when we reach 400 pages I'm doing the honors!
test9251 wrote: not my fault hahaha, u have been "Ford Robbed" :razz:
I know :)
therollin beat me too it!
blahhh
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2873 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Lol I was busy replying to JACKIE26

Ill try to keep that in mind and while we are calling dibs I call the 5000th post
LOLOLOL
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2200 posts
446 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Before I read down to the bottom of your post I was already suggesting that bad quality of whatever is being used could be the problem. Everything seems to be cheap these days. Things will get destroyed by earthquakes and other natural disaster these days much easier than older structures which were built with care. They need to work on more robust infrastructure because if the weather gets worse with climate change we are going to need it.
It's like the hydro infrastructure is being purchased at Dollerama.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
therollin wrote: Ill try to keep that in mind and while we are calling dibs I call the 5000th post
LOLOLOL
Lol done deal!
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Lol I was busy replying to JACKIE26

u need to forecast another storm, so that people will post more. thus making less time to reach 400 pages.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JACKIE26 wrote: It's like the hydro infrastructure is being purchased at Dollerama.
I totally agree. they look for the cheapest ways to do things. But now it's costing us. I am sure we can do better. This is Canada :)
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: u need to forecast another storm, so that people will post more. thus making less time to reach 400 pages.
Lol I am keeping my eye out! I am not seeing anything set in stone yet, but I will start the discussion if I see something good. I am hoping to track a snowstorm soon as we are due for a good snowfall that hits the whole GTA well. This storm we are recovering from has taken up most of the posts that this thread has. That is how big it was.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2873 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I totally agree. they look for the cheapest ways to do things. But now it's costing us. I am sure we can do better. This is Canada :)
Where I live it seems like when ever any thing hits us we are the first to lose power in the area :( stupid Toronto Hydro
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
^ LOL
therollin wrote: Where I live it seems like when ever any thing hits us we are the first to lose power in the area :( stupid Toronto Hydro
That is terrible. I still wonder why so many trees came down here, yet everything seems fine. Now THAT was a miracle.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
i saw the cp24 news today, they said they will go to street level at the end to restore power.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: i saw the cp24 news today, they said they will go to street level at the end to restore power.
What does it mean to go to street level?
blahhh
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2873 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote: i saw the cp24 news today, they said they will go to street level at the end to restore power.
if they do that then there's no way they can restore everyone's power by Saturday unfortunately :(
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14128 posts
3928 upvotes
Montréal
JACKIE26 wrote: I don't understand why though we never had power outages when I was a kid. We lived in an older area homes built I think in the 40's or 50's maybe earlier, everything was above ground and never once was there a power outage. I was born in the 70's and recall far worse weather as a kid.

I live in a new subdivision now and we have power outages despite everything being buried. Thankfully we were out of town when our power went out in this storm and it came back quick before we got home. In future though when we go away in the winter I think shutting off the water and draining the pipes might be a good idea.

I don't know if burying things is a solution, maybe poor maintenance now and cheap materials used for everything are a contributing factor to some of the problems.
Same here, far worse storms when I was a kid, just shoddy planning/workmanship/materials is my guess too. This storm wasn't anything major or unexpected, not like it happened in the tropics outta nowhere. This is freaking Toronto, we should be used to this crap. Like I said, it's pathetic that a whole city can be brought to its knees due to falling branches/trees. Just extremely poor planning.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
therollin wrote: Where I live it seems like when ever any thing hits us we are the first to lose power in the area :( stupid Toronto Hydro
this is how i felt while i was in the philippines.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2873 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: Same here, far worse storms when I was a kid, just shoddy planning/workmanship/materials is my guess too. This storm wasn't anything major or unexpected, not like it happened in the tropics outta nowhere. This is freaking Toronto, we should be used to this crap. Like I said, it's pathetic that a whole city can be brought to its knees due to falling branches/trees. Just extremely poor planning.
What happened to yearly branch and limb trimming????
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
therollin wrote: house to house I guess to connect them back to the grid
O ok cool so does that mean that if they see the branches that are weighing down the wire connecting the street line to the house they will take those branches down for us?

I am plagued with an issue where that line that extends from the street wire to the side of the house, there is storm tree debris hanging on it that could some point make it give way and cup us off.
blahhh