Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2005
1593 posts
50 upvotes
No power - still - at Huronia Gate/McCowan.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9747 posts
4437 upvotes
Toronto
it was very hard to get out of Markham on the 25th... as there was flurries and blowing winds and lots of cars on the roads.. but after coburg, it was a smooth drive.. I made it to my destination quicker than usual..... I wonder how my drive back will be on the 31st.... OP, what is in stock for me on the 31st? :)

my friends finally got power after four days.. but one of their fishes died :( everyone I know seemed to have their power back....
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18434 posts
2804 upvotes
Langley
cheapmeister wrote: Why the gov't won't loan out generators and heaters to the homes that still have no power? The gov't knows how to raise your taxes, and give themselves raises each year, but nothing for the freezing man! Oh and you have to pay more for hydro now too!
Does the government have thousands of heaters and generators to hand out?

Just buy your own generator and heater.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13470 posts
9436 upvotes
I know someone in Pickering who lost power, got it back, then lost it again last night. :(
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13470 posts
9436 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: Why the gov't won't loan out generators and heaters to the homes that still have no power? The gov't knows how to raise your taxes, and give themselves raises each year, but nothing for the freezing man! Oh and you have to pay more for hydro now too!
Because our mayor said we're cool. We don't need the help!!!
Mar 8, 2006
877 posts
884 upvotes
Power back on in M1J area. About time.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Pochacco wrote: it was very hard to get out of Markham on the 25th... as there was flurries and blowing winds and lots of cars on the roads.. but after coburg, it was a smooth drive.. I made it to my destination quicker than usual..... I wonder how my drive back will be on the 31st.... OP, what is in stock for me on the 31st? :)

my friends finally got power after four days.. but one of their fishes died :( everyone I know seemed to have their power back....
It looks like on that day it will be quite cold and no heavy snow, but I do see a risk of flurries so it does not look like a very sunny day. Looks to stay around minus 8 and mornings around that time will be very cold. New Years will be very cold this year and I am not going to events for it this year lol
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
blahhh
Jul 10, 2013
604 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Lol that's good. It is also a very good place, but Peru seems much more natural, you don't get the constant chilly weather in Bankok like you do in Cuzco and I get the air is cleaner in the mountains of Peru and I speak Spanish so it will be a lot easier than if I like in an asian country.
To be fair air in Bangkok is pretty awful. The food.... ahhhh... the food that's another story. World class restaurants for next to nothing.

In Bangkok it is usually very very hot. This December however is unusually cold. I actually have to wear socks and I got sick. It is very strange, maybe this Toronto storm is reaching here?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
provocateur wrote: To be fair air in Bangkok is pretty awful. The food.... ahhhh... the food that's another story. World class restaurants for next to nothing.

In Bangkok it is usually very very hot. This December however is unusually cold. I actually have to wear socks and I got sick. It is very strange, maybe this Toronto storm is reaching here?
The funny thing is that this year has been very very strange for weather around the world. It snowed in Egypt for the first time in a century, it's been balmy in Russia, and it has been a deep freeze and huge storms here in Toronto and other parts of North America. Weather has been behaving very weird. So I am not surprised that you are getting that stuff over there too. It is not the same weather system, but looks to be part of a common trend like the things I have told you about. Look at Egypt with its snow this year: So you are not alone. The land of the pyramids and camels is also getting too cold.
[IMG]http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/ ... 37x402.jpg[/IMG]

EDIT: I just found out that it snowed for the first time in 112 years in Egypt! Now that's long!
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: The funny thing is that this year has been very very strange for weather around the world. It snowed in Egypt for the first time in a century, it's been balmy in Russia, and it has been a deep freeze and huge storms here in Toronto and other parts of North America. Weather has been behaving very weird. So I am not surprised that you are getting that stuff over there too. It is not the same weather system, but looks to be part of a common trend like the things I have told you about. Look at Egypt with its snow this year: So you are not alone. The land of the pyramids and camels is also getting too cold.

EDIT: I just found out that it snowed for the first time in 112 years in Egypt! Now that's long!
dont u think the weather around the world will shift permanently in these coming years?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41974 posts
6618 upvotes
Interesting how this thread turned into and now we see pics of Peru, Egypt and other places :razz:

Oh RFD!
Proud to be an Indian.
Jan 27, 2004
14433 posts
3467 upvotes
daily view? LOL...r u sure is s"HE"? LOL....
provocateur wrote: Peru? Maybe if close to dying. For me it is Bangkok baby!

[IMG]http://www.pommietravels.com/wp-content ... -scene.jpg[/IMG]

I live close to University and this is my daily view

[IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o131 ... c5ac99.jpg[/IMG]
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8499 posts
1637 upvotes
Unbelievable there are still 30,000+ customers in Toronto without power almost a week after the storm. I spoke with some friends who live in Scarborough on Wednesday and they still didn't have power yet, hope they got it back by now. Their two gold fishes died and froze to death overnight by day 2 I think.

They definitely should've called in the military, Toronto Hydro is saying that the biggest impediment slowing down their restoration work are down trees making a number of streets inaccessible, had the armed forces been called in from day one, they could have gone around and have had all the roads cleared by now, at the same time making sure everyone was okay, had food and water and maybe even truck some people to warming centres. I'm sure the rest of the country would've mocked the city like they did last time but I doubt anyone who has had no power for 5 days would give a crap about that.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3913 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Interesting how this thread turned into and now we see pics of Peru, Egypt and other places :razz:

Oh RFD!
People in shelters who are looking to this thread for updated info. I bet are starting to look else where for current useful Ontario information. It's sad that no thread in off topic stays on topic.
You say get high, I say hello!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
edgedamage wrote: People in shelters who are looking to this thread for updated info. I bet are starting to look else where for current useful Ontario information. It's sad that no thread in off topic stays on topic.
just wait for janeandfinch to post some radar/weather photos. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
people of toronto, do i need to buy 550 fill jacket in toronto? coz i have a jacket now w/c can only handle until 0 only.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41974 posts
6618 upvotes
test9251 wrote: people of toronto, do i need to buy 550 fill jacket in toronto? coz i have a jacket now w/c can only handle until 0 only.
May not hurt. My North Face is pretty warm. Its the McMurdo parka and its 550 down fill. Its fine with -20 Deg C temps and just a light sweater inside.
Proud to be an Indian.