Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18433 posts
2803 upvotes
Langley
onlineharvest wrote: Isn't home insurance mandatory?
I'd pay the deductible anyway, because my discount of being claim free would be back after only 12 months.
In many cases it's mandatory. Lenders will require it to get a mortgage. But not everyone has a mortgage.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41945 posts
6611 upvotes
Grr wanted to go on the parking lot by the park again for some drifting but people are there. GRRR! Shall go in the night and try.

On another note, the dash cam pic I posted of the wire, well its now officially touching the road. I am not sure if its hydro or telephone but I didn't go over it, so I had to turn back and go the other way. Shall inform of Power Stream nevertheless. Or shall I call the Town of Richmond Hill?
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Long Star article but very informative
Toronto Star
Toronto should call the ice storm what it is: an emergency
By failing to declare a state of emergency, Toronto is putting the lives of many of its most vulnerable at risk.

[IMG]http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thes ... .promo.jpg[/IMG]
Days before Christmas, ice built up on branches and wires in record thickness, and across the city, trees fell like jagged Jenga pieces, leaving some of Toronto's most vulnerable living in the cold, their lives at risk.
The emergency in Toronto is not about the speed at which hydro workers have accomplished their tasks (they are truly heroic), it is the unknown distress of hundreds of thousands of Torontonians whose homes could no longer provide warmth, whose elevators weren’t working, whose kitchens could no longer provide food, whose telephones could no longer connect them to the outside world and whose medical conditions could no longer be managed.
On Sunday, Dec. 22, three days before Christmas, 30 millimetres of freezing rain fell on Toronto. Ice built up on branches and wires in record thickness, and across the city, trees fell like jagged Jenga pieces. They took down thousands of power and telephone wires. One third of Toronto Hydro’s customers were suddenly without power.
In December in Canada, a home that has lost power and heat is habitable for only a short time. By Christmas Eve, with temperatures plummeting to -12 C, many darkened homes were approaching temperatures of 0 C.
Scientific studies have shown us that a stable home is the best way to ensure that a person is able to lead a good life. In Canada, we trust in our infrastructure to maintain the quality of our housing, to provide heat, water, power and even cable as basic necessities. We have no Plan B when one third of Toronto suddenly loses these services.
What should we do under these conditions? Other cities have found out the hard way.
In the summer of 1995, Chicago saw an oppressive heat wave. Large numbers of seniors in highrise apartments without air conditioning died. Morgues were overflowing. The normal death rate was exceeded by more than 700 deaths in the few days of the heat wave.
When researchers later looked at the data, they found that seniors who had had active social lives — drinking coffee with friends, attending religious services, going to cafes where they were known — were far less likely to have died. Seniors who were more isolated were significantly more likely to have died. It wasn’t just a force of nature, or even a problem of bad architecture and power brown outs. The difference between people who made it and those who didn’t was their social ties.
Chicago learned from its mistakes. In 1999, they declared an emergency during a similar heat wave, got the media to help and bussed people to cooling centres. City employees and police went door to door to check on people. The result? Only 110 excess deaths, far fewer than in 1995.
What happened to the thousands of Torontonians who weren’t able to book a hotel, go to their in-laws’, eat in restaurants or leave town? How are they doing? We have no idea. We have been told that emergency calls have been five times their normal level, and we hear sirens screaming down our roads constantly.
For days, Toronto has not assigned anyone to find out how people are, to tell them in person that there are warming centres and to offer them transportation to one, or to bring them food and water, to ensure that their oxygen tanks are full, to make sure they have their medications. No one has been assigned to check on their safety — how were they staying warm, did they understand the dangers of hypothermia, of using BBQ devices, gas stoves or generators to stay warm? We have entrusted the safety of tens of thousands to Twitter, to silent radios to websites that won’t stay up because of the demand.
What will we find in a week — in our rooming houses, in our high rises, in the little wartime bungalows that are scattered across our city? Will we have escaped without increased deaths? Or will we regret our lack of action this week?
From Sunday onward, our political leaders debated the worth of declaring an emergency. Perhaps it was the shame we remembered after former Mayor Mel Lastman declared his own “snow emergency” and called in the Armed Forces to remove metres of snow. Perhaps it was Rob Ford’s desire to have a central and positive role in the drama rather than being sidelined after an emergency declaration. Likely, his misunderstanding of the difference between martial law and a state of emergency has prevented such a move. Perhaps it was the city management’s long-standing resistance to provincial interference that made staff reluctant to ask for help.
Sadly, Torontonians have been left out in the cold.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: Grr wanted to go on the parking lot by the park again for some drifting but people are there. GRRR! Shall go in the night and try.

On another note, the dash cam pic I posted of the wire, well its now officially touching the road. I am not sure if its hydro or telephone but I didn't go over it, so I had to turn back and go the other way. Shall inform of Power Stream nevertheless. Or shall I call the Town of Richmond Hill?
Lol unreal! It is funny that it really has started doing that. Did you take a pic of it?
Ok it is not funny that it was an obstruction of course.
But do enjoy drifting later today :) When those darn people aint there.
It is the holidays so people are in parks a lot.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41945 posts
6611 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Lol unreal! It is funny that it really has started doing that. Did you take a pic of it?
Ok it is not funny that it was an obstruction of course.
But do enjoy drifting later today :) When those darn people aint there.
It is the holidays so people are in parks a lot.
Like one half is touching, the other is almost touching the ground. Therefore I still can't pass it.

WTF! STINKING TOWN OF POORMAN's HILL'S OPERATION CENTER IS CLOSED! Oh well I guess its time to call Power Stream then.
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: Like one half is touching, the other is almost touching the ground. Therefore I still can't pass it.

WTF! STINKING TOWN OF POORMAN's HILL'S OPERATION CENTER IS CLOSED! Oh well I guess its time to call Power Stream then.
Ok so that needs to be dealt with then. Also it is too bad that it is the holidays because you can't go drifting. stupid crowds lol. In case you missed the article, you may want to see the Star article I posted a few posts above (5 down from the top) about how much worse the situation is compared to how they are treating all of this and why this is making it even worse.

thanks for the link btw. Now I know it was a transformer. Not a tree down. Still must have been provoked by storm damage.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41945 posts
6611 upvotes
Spoke to Power Stream's CSR dept and notified them. They said they'll forward it to the Control Room. I told them I wasn't sure if it was a hydro or telephone line/cable but I did tell them of the problem that initially after the Ice Storm it was hanging low and now its physically touching the road.
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: Spoke to Power Stream's CSR dept and notified them. They said they'll forward it to the Control Room. I told them I wasn't sure if it was a hydro or telephone line/cable but I did tell them of the problem that initially after the Ice Storm it was hanging low and now its physically touching the road.
Ok. They should get to it faster than in Toronto which is still plagued with a ton of problems by the storm. My neighbor told me that for our problem, Toronto Hydro will take care of it and that no one must touch the debris hanging on the wire. It has to stay there until a trained person removes it. I just need to call them. I will do it when the power crisis is resolved first.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
winterslush wrote: Thanks OP. I was worried because it to coming down like crazy and accumulation happened fast.
Hey winterslush how did my forecast go that day in the Sauga? Was I accurate when I told you what would happen with the snow?
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
@janefinch

just saw ur profile pic. :D is that inca emperor?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: @janefinch

just saw ur profile pic. :D is that inca emperor?
Yes it is ;) of Peru. Now that Christmas is over and Santa is gone I am very glad to have this one :)

Already in the mood to move to Peru.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: O ok. I did not know that. I thought that it was old man winter's fault lol. Because the tree only fell because of the storm. It is like having your house fall down because a bigger storm hit. If something is wrecked by the storm, you should not be put to blame for any reason. In my own opinion. It should be covered as natural disaster.
you should watch this movie!

http://fillum.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... My-God.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
why subway trains doesnt have heating?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: why subway trains doesnt have heating?
Of course they do. They all do. This is winter so they must have it.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2674 posts
130 upvotes
Calgary
sneakynoob wrote: I'm still out on power and this is why:

Our electrician gave us an estimate of up to $3000 to fix this
Its not free to fix it? :(
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41945 posts
6611 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Ok that reminds me of India. Nice to watch, but not to go to because it goes up to 46 degrees in New Delhi so I can watch it from the comfort of Canada :)
There are cooler places in India you know lol? Should go there in the monsoon season.
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: There are cooler places in India you know lol? Should go there in the monsoon season.
Ok that's good. I really like Indian culture a lot. One of my favorites. I like the southwest coast like here!
[IMG]http://barbro.se/Indien%202008/beach2.jpg[/IMG]
very nice part of India

And this
[IMG]http://www.holiday-n-adventure.de/typo3 ... -01-He.jpg[/IMG]
Not too hot not too cold ;)
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Many people agree that the best climate in the world is that of Chile where in the capital it is room temperature and sunny every single day of the year!
blahhh