Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19100 posts
2042 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Many people agree that the best climate in the world is that of Chile where in the capital it is room temperature and sunny every single day of the year!
Never been. I always thought Hawaii would be nice. Temperate climate with a mix of cool breeze summer days. Never too hot and never too cold. It would suck if Hawaii started getting snow although I don't know if that's meteorologically possible.


I came from SE Asia and it was hot. My mom who grew up there went back after 25 years and said the weather was unbearable. I don't know if that's because she's been acclimated to the Canadian weather or that it truly has got hotter.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Supercooled wrote: Never been. I always thought Hawaii would be nice. Temperate climate with a mix of cool breeze summer days. Never too hot and never too cold. It would suck if Hawaii started getting snow although I don't know if that's meteorologically possible.


I came from SE Asia and it was hot. My mom who grew up there went back after 25 years and said the weather was unbearable. I don't know if that's because she's been acclimated to the Canadian weather or that it truly has got hotter.
I know for a fact that tropical regions have not warmed nearly as much as polar regions so it is just acclimatization to the always cold Canada.
Hawaii also has one of the perfect climates because that location is in a part of the ocean that never heats up too much yet is kept far from any influence by polar regions so it is also very good indeed. Hawaii might have some snow on the tallest mountain but I am not sure. I know that Thailand and Vietnam are very hot and are just like Colombia. Vietnam seems like a great place to go. My old landlord was from there. He told me that you get tons of seafood and fruit for good prices. But the humidity is quite high. I would enjoy those countries, but for a short stay because of the hot weather.
blahhh
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 28, 2005
3913 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
sneakynoob wrote: I'm still out on power and this is why:

Image

Our electrician gave us an estimate of up to $3000 to fix this
I was wrong ealer hydro is responsible pole to pole. Hydro only cares about the connection to the house. If that grey pole is damaged, hydro won't fix it.
You say get high, I say hello!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19100 posts
2042 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Such an unfortunate cost to home ownership. One of the caveats one must think about, I suppose. Shouldn't insurance be covering this?

$3000 is a lot of money. That is the annual property tax right there for some.






edgedamage wrote: I was wrong ealer hydro is responsible pole to pole. Hydro only cares about the connection to the house. If that grey pole is damaged, hydro won't fix it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
edgedamage wrote: I was wrong ealer hydro is responsible pole to pole. Hydro only cares about the connection to the house. If that grey pole is damaged, hydro won't fix it.
Did you call your home insurer?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
With the trees hanging off the line as we speak, I hope that the neighbor is right and that with just a phone call to Toronto Hydro they will come and fix it. My landlord doesn't care. He's in China ignoring my emails. So it all depends on whether or not Toronto Hydro will do it. So far there is no damage, just the risk of it happening later if all that tree debris starts to move in bad weather.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: ^
maybe he is busy taking pictures..

Image
No I am not doing that at all lol :) I was too busy studying the climate of Cuzco, Peru. I am excited to take off to Peru later.

Cuzco, Peru.
Climate year round:
near freezing at night, room temperature for about one hour during the day, rest of the day chilly. Like this the entire year.
blahhh
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20713 posts
4846 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Ok that's good. I really like Indian culture a lot. One of my favorites. I like the southwest coast like here!
[IMG]http://barbro.se/Indien%202008/beach2.jpg[/IMG]
very nice part of India

And this
[IMG]http://www.holiday-n-adventure.de/typo3 ... -01-He.jpg[/IMG]
Not too hot not too cold ;)
While in India you can partake in the best sport in the world.
[IMG]http://s22.postimg.org/po71l0voh/India_ ... p_2011.jpg[/IMG]
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 23, 2008
12270 posts
1155 upvotes
Brampton
i6s1 wrote: Does the government have thousands of heaters and generators to hand out?

Just buy your own generator and heater.
The gov't can afford to give mp's their own house and they cannot use their credit cards at Home Depot and pick some generators up?
geesh!
sneakynoob wrote: I'm still out on power and this is why:

Image

Our electrician gave us an estimate of up to $3000 to fix this
They need a permit to do that reconnection. Also that quote looks high. There are scammers overcharging for this type of work.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote: While in India you can partake in the best sport in the world.
[IMG]http://s22.postimg.org/po71l0voh/India_ ... p_2011.jpg[/IMG]
One thing I always wondered was how do people handle doing these sports in such intense heat. I can't even move a lot without overheating on mild winter or spring days let alone play sports in 35 degree heat. But since I am going to Cuzco where it is nice and cold I can do all of the sports there :) It is prefect for sports because it is always really cool out.

Dominican Republic has baseball and Brazil has soccer. Playing that in intense heat and humidity would kill me!
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cheapmeister wrote: Why is it the best sport in the world? It isn't even played throughout the world. Heck it ain't even the in olympics.
Is that cricket? lol I am not embarassed to not know my sports because I don't follow anything!

today at High Park I passed a whole bunch of people playing ice hockey on the ice rink and thought "this is sooooooo Canadian" Lol ice hockey and fresh cold weather. It's a Canadian thing to do! In Peru it is kicking around a soccer ball on muddy grass :razz:

Also the best sport is hockey because you have fresh air to cool you off. No need to overheat because you play in the cold. That is the only sport I would ever play because of how fast I heat up when I move around.
blahhh
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 23, 2008
12270 posts
1155 upvotes
Brampton
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Is that cricket? lol I am not embarassed to not know my sports because I don't follow anything!

today at High Park I passed a whole bunch of people playing ice hockey on the ice rink and thought "this is sooooooo Canadian" Lol ice hockey and fresh cold weather. It's a Canadian thing to do! In Peru it is kicking around a soccer ball on muddy grass :razz:

Also the best sport is hockey because you have fresh air to cool you off. No need to overheat because you play in the cold. That is the only sport I would ever play because of how fast I heat up when I move around.
Every man has his favorite game. I just hate it when someone would tell me that cricket is the best game. It happens a lot to me here in Brampton. I don't have anything against the sport, it is just that when I say I don't watch cricket, the person would get all offended and look at me differently! My sport is baseball, but I don't go around saying it is the best sport! It is just my preference to watch baseball over cricket. Hockey is a game I do like but it is lower down on the list, but I do agree, it is a good game to play in the winter due to the no sweat issue!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19100 posts
2042 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
You should play the sports fan sport. You lounge around in a comfy chair wearing your PJs, sucking back a cold beverage and chicken wings.

Going to Peru sounds exotic. Do take part in the history as well unlike most people who go to exotic places only to sit at the hotel pool and claim they're a globe trotter.

Kind of surprised though Peru could even reach single digits let alone freezing temps. It sounds like a hot amazon from popular opinion.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cheapmeister wrote: Every man has his favorite game. I just hate it when someone would tell me that cricket is the best game. It happens a lot to me here in Brampton. I don't have anything against the sport, it is just that when I say I don't watch cricket, the person would get all offended and look at me differently! My sport is baseball, but I don't go around saying it is the best sport! It is just my preference to watch baseball over cricket. Hockey is a game I do like but it is lower down on the list, but I do agree, it is a good game to play in the winter due to the no sweat issue!
Yes. I always wondered why football season is when it is. Do you think it is because it is so rigorous it must be played in cooler weather? Other sports have their season which is quite obvious like hockey in winter and baseball in summer but I never understood why football starts when it does.

BAseball is ok because I don't think you wold sweat too much. I stand around in outfield doing nothing most of the time because I don't want to get hot lol
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Supercooled wrote: You should play the sports fan sport. You lounge around in a comfy chair wearing your PJs, sucking back a cold beverage and chicken wings.

Going to Peru sounds exotic. Do take part in the history as well unlike most people who go to exotic places only to sit at the hotel pool and claim they're a globe trotter.

Kind of surprised though Peru could even reach single digits let alone freezing temps. It sounds like a hot amazon from popular opinion.
Peru and Bolivia have some of the highest cities in the world because of the Andes mountains. It gets pretty cold up there. Temperature change between night and day is huge where there is a need for switching between winter jacket and t-shirt every single day!

And yes, Peru is for the person with a real sense of travel. It seems so many people just go to Puerta plata for the weather. They may as well save money and just turn up the thermostat to 30 in their house, bring in some sand and rent a palm tree from a greenhouse :lol: because they lock themselves up at the tropical resort in Puerto plata or Punta Cana anyways!
blahhh
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
18434 posts
2803 upvotes
Langley
If football started earlier, it would be in sweltering heat in the summer in the Southern states.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 23, 2008
12270 posts
1155 upvotes
Brampton
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Yes. I always wondered why football season is when it is. Do you think it is because it is so rigorous it must be played in cooler weather? Other sports have their season which is quite obvious like hockey in winter and baseball in summer but I never understood why football starts when it does.

BAseball is ok because I don't think you wold sweat too much. I stand around in outfield doing nothing most of the time because I don't want to get hot lol
Yea I guess football could be seasonal. They sweat a lot wearing pads, so the cool weather is good for them. LoL at standing around in the outfield in baseball! So true! Reminds me of former blue jay Vernon Wells, standing in center field, and making $126 million dollars to hit a baseball! Way overpaid! The pitcher does most of the work!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!

Top