Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
i6s1 wrote: If football started earlier, it would be in sweltering heat in the summer in the Southern states.
I figured that seasonal weather conditions played a roll in when football started. It is called "american football" internationally because soccer IS called football everywhere else. USA summer would be far too hot for any football. But there "football season" is practically all year in all those other countries. Does not matter if it is 30 degrees, they go out and play and sweat. But I do think they tend to play under the field lights in the night because it is way too hot for soccer during the day in Peru.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cheapmeister wrote: Yea I guess football could be seasonal. They sweat a lot wearing pads, so the cool weather is good for them. LoL at standing around in the outfield in baseball! So true! Reminds me of former blue jay Vernon Wells, standing in center field, and making $126 million dollars to hit a baseball! Way overpaid! The pitcher does most of the work!
LOL That's so funny! I always thought that when I first started baseball. "those of us out there in outfield just stand there. This is not a sport!" I hoped that the ball never got to far because I just wanted to stand there! Too hot to go runnin after it right now :lol:
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20713 posts
4846 upvotes
Poormond Hill
cheapmeister wrote: Why is it the best sport in the world? It isn't even played throughout the world. Heck it ain't even the in olympics.
It is the best sport because it is exciting to play. It is played in England, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Australia, New Zealand and the West Indies. Unlike any other sport, the countries play against each other and the players represent the teams they are from.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12270 posts
1155 upvotes
Brampton
sandikosh wrote: It is the best sport because it is exciting to play. It is played in England, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Australia, New Zealand and the West Indies. Unlike any other sport, the countries play against each other and the players represent the teams they are from.
Soccer is bigger in those countries than cricket. Soccer is exciting to play and is played throughout the world. Also soccer is in the olympics. So if cricket is the best sport, why isn't it in the olympics?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cheapmeister wrote: Soccer is bigger in those countries than cricket. Soccer is exciting to play and is played throughout the world. Also soccer is in the olympics. So if cricket is the best sport, why isn't it in the olympics?
Yes. FIFA World cup is the biggest sporting event in the world so that does make sense. Soccer I think may be the biggest sport in the world, but I don't know why that one would be.

Hockey is only big here because of our cold climate.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17796 posts
1355 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
cheapmeister wrote: Soccer is bigger in those countries than cricket. Soccer is exciting to play and is played throughout the world. Also soccer is in the olympics. So if cricket is the best sport, why isn't it in the olympics?
while i do not want to be part of this soccer vs. cricket flamefest, i would like to point out that in SOME of those countries on his list, Cricket is indeed bigger than Soccer: Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Australia, NZ, West Indies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
konfusion666 wrote: while i do not want to be part of this soccer vs. cricket flamefest, i would like to point out that in SOME of those countries on his list, Cricket is indeed bigger than Soccer: Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Australia, NZ, West Indies
I thought UK was another one on that list.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2082 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I thought UK was another one on that list.
Football is far and away the biggest sport in the UK.

Rugby is bigger than cricket in NZ and Australia.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cardle wrote: Football is far and away the biggest sport in the UK.

Rugby is bigger than cricket in NZ and Australia.
O ok. I never knew that. I think that Canada is more universally known around the world for its specifics. Like that hockey is more popularly played here, weather is so cold here and we say eh! lol
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I wanted to mention that I noticed that the GFS model is showing an unusually substantial amount of active weather coming up in the the next couple of weeks. It shows a lot of storms racing in from the Pacific ocean straight towards us, one after the other through the long range. We could be talking back to back storms if this forecast model is right. Some of this could be heavy rain, other parts heavy snow. Nothing is for sure as of yet because the GFS only recently started showing this, but it is something to watch since there is a heightened risk of this happening when it shows in the models.

I am not sure if the trees were weakened by the last major storm we just got, but we are at risk of more localized power outages and issues relating to the storms if we do end up getting this many storms.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20713 posts
4846 upvotes
Poormond Hill
It is not in the Olympics because
1. The game requires a bigger playing field than any sport.
2. A game can take up the whole day.
3. The game is not suitable for tv because of the playing time.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20713 posts
4846 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Thread subtitle needs to be changed to "Sports: Which Is Best?".
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
sandikosh wrote: Thread subtitle needs to be changed to "Sports: Which Is Best?".
Lol I'm afraid I can't when people are still playing the waiting game on power companies instead of sports!

I hope you noticed the post I made above because that point is very important ;) We could be on the road to more storms!
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
caRpetbomBer wrote: Couch surfing is the best sport for winter.
That's a good answer. I just tried that site once when I moved back to Canada from Mexico and did not want to freeze outside from the cold winter weather! It's a great sport! :razz:
blahhh
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12270 posts
1155 upvotes
Brampton
sandikosh wrote: It is not in the Olympics because
1. The game requires a bigger playing field than any sport.
2. A game can take up the whole day.
3. The game is not suitable for tv because of the playing time.
1. That is such a shame they cannot have a field large enough to play on. Look at how large a soccer field is and they get to play on it.
2. 26 overs is too long, play 19 overs.
3. Show highlights.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Peru and Bolivia have some of the highest cities in the world because of the Andes mountains. It gets pretty cold up there. Temperature change between night and day is huge where there is a need for switching between winter jacket and t-shirt every single day!

And yes, Peru is for the person with a real sense of travel. It seems so many people just go to Puerta plata for the weather. They may as well save money and just turn up the thermostat to 30 in their house, bring in some sand and rent a palm tree from a greenhouse :lol: because they lock themselves up at the tropical resort in Puerto plata or Punta Cana anyways!
oh, bolivia, have u watched IRT deadliest roads?

(from weather, to countries, to sports, now to TV series) this is an all-purpose thread! :D
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: oh, bolivia, have u watched IRT deadliest roads?

(from weather, to countries, to sports, now to TV series) this is an all-purpose thread! :D
Lol yes.
I heard about that road in Bolivia. But Peru has that danger on roads too. After finding out about the dangers there I decided not to take the buses there because I rather live!

Also I learned about altitude sickness. I wonder if I am very resistent to change in air pressure because when I was in Bogota, I didn't feel any effects of altitude.

I wish Cuzco were a bit lower in altitude so the climate would be a bit more mild and altitude not as big a risk. But anyways I can't wait to head down :)
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Keep note of this post because I am starting to monitor the hightened risk for very active weather returning to Toronto. I look forward to returning to tracking some real action.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Lol yes.
I heard about that road in Bolivia. But Peru has that danger on roads too. After finding out about the dangers there I decided not to take the buses there because I rather live!

Also I learned about altitude sickness. I wonder if I am very resistent to change in air pressure because when I was in Bogota, I didn't feel any effects of altitude.

I wish Cuzco were a bit lower in altitude so the climate would be a bit more mild and altitude not as big a risk. But anyways I can't wait to head down :)
dangerous roads.. we went to himalayas this year (in india), just on the side, and the roads are terrifying, our driver was driving without any fear.

and i felt the reduction in air, we went only until 9000+ feet, and i was breathing hard! :facepalm:

will post a pic, if i got to find one.