Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: dangerous roads.. we went to himalayas this year (in india), just on the side, and the roads are terrifying, our driver was driving without any fear.

and i felt the reduction in air, we went only until 9000+ feet, and i was breathing hard! :facepalm:

will post a pic, if i got to find one.
I hope i do well with the atmospheric pressure change in Cuzco, Peru. I know I did very well in Bogota, even being totally oblivious to the whole altitude change thing, despite some people having difficulties so I think I will do very well when I get up there in Cuzco. I may also have to acclimatize to constant cold nights and warm days. This will all be very different in the new city I plan to move to. But I will still be online on the weather thread when I am over there so nothing changes here :)
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Interestingly I have not seen anyone report any issues relating to the storm. We just reach the weekend and finally I guess power outages are no longer an issue so I can change the thread back to normal mode. I think we have for the most part left that storm behind us. Finally! Back to normal mode ;)

This thread name is taking a really long time to update :confused:

good now I am ready to stay in normal mode until the next winter storm comes along and I get to change back to storm watch mode which is a lot more fun!
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
anyone noticed loud sound coming from trees, so noisy.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: anyone noticed loud sound coming from trees, so noisy.
Not me. But I did noticed them making a lot more noise than usual when they moved in the wind at High Park. That is because of all the ice still stuck on them and the noise is hard to describe. I don't know if it is the same you were hearing.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
^
yea same noise, like cracking, but not really cracking. cant describe lol.

i think the ice is bumping into each other.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41972 posts
6616 upvotes
Nice to see warmer temps for the weekend.
Proud to be an Indian.
May 19, 2009
2465 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
Jut got back into the city in time to see the remnants of the ice storm. Got back home from hot pot and ice hit my vehicle on a few occasions :/ The ice out there is starting to melt and it is coming down in torrents. Stay safe!
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
1438 posts
49 upvotes
ultran00b wrote: Jut got back into the city in time to see the remnants of the ice storm. Got back home from hot pot and ice hit my vehicle on a few occasions :/ The ice out there is starting to melt and it is coming down in torrents. Stay safe!
+1
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44184 posts
7257 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Not me. But I did noticed them making a lot more noise than usual when they moved in the wind at High Park. That is because of all the ice still stuck on them and the noise is hard to describe. I don't know if it is the same you were hearing.
I describe it as a... Bone chilling chattering type noise.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
awesome temperature starting next week! :cry:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: awesome temperature starting next week! :cry:
Are you being sarcastic :razz: ? It is supposed to remain well below freezing. Very very cold it will be soon!
But if that is what you also want, then yes, awesome temperatures ARE coming! But I want storms instead :(

Time to update this post with my latest interpretation of the GFS model. Latest runs of the GFS continue to show almost continuous visits by low pressure systems bringing very substantial precipitation to the GTA. A lot of what I am seeing actually appears to be frequent episodes of rain with strong bouts of cold in between each of them. A very unstable, non-pleasing weather pattern. Some of thse storms may end up becoming snowstorms instead, but it is hard to tell for sure. What I do know for sure is that we are entering a VERY changeable weather pattern and you will notice a huge amount of temperature variation that may make for a rather unpleasant winter experience.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4121 posts
926 upvotes
Sask.
Good morning! Alberta Clipper blew in overnight, and continues... windchill is now -35, going down to -43 tonight. Quite the change in 24 hours when we were very close to zero.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
natalka wrote: Good morning! Alberta Clipper blew in overnight, and continues... windchill is now -35, going down to -43 tonight. Quite the change in 24 hours when we were very close to zero.
Good morning. I saw the Alberta clipper on the GFS model. Now you will remain with bitter cold temperatures behind it and the next Alberta clipper system may not come till almost a week troday. No sttrong storm systems appear to be coming to where you are. But as you can see above by my updated post for Toronto, we could be much different if the GFS model is right.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
djemzine wrote: Nice to see warmer temps for the weekend.
Did you get to go drifting last night or did those lousy crowds stop you from going and doing it?
Grrrrr! gotta hate those crowds lol

If the GFS is right, this may be the last time in a while that you get to enjoy mild weather that is only accompanied by tame, dry and even some sunny weather. The next mild spells look to be rainy ones if the GFS is right.
blahhh
Dec 13, 2013
467 posts
17 upvotes
Ontario
Hi,
How is everybody doing? I have been sick and didn't come here much.
I went to the intersection of Burhamthorpe Rd. and the East Mall yesterday and apparently that area was still without power :( then. It was very cold yesterday when I was there - late evening.
I hope the power is back on now.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
redflagdeal101 wrote: Hi,
I went to the intersection of Burhamthorpe Rd. and the East Mall yesterday and apparently that area was still without power :( then. It was very cold yesterday when I was there - late evening.
Ok. hope you feeling better. It is hard to believe how long this is dragging on. It's been a week now. I have been enjoying keeping track of weather systems to get an idea of what else is in store for us in terms of active weather.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdeal101 wrote: Hi,
this says it all, but hey, numbers keep decreasing.