Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
I'm the only one in the office today.... :eek:
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3911 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Yes. I am always reprting on american sources when I am providing my weather predictions in this thread. Not once have I given a forecast in this thread without using partly or mostly or even purely american data. One of the few exceptions was when the GEM model, a canadian model was doing a good job at forecasting this storm so I quoted it solely in a forecast here in the thread and it turned out to be all right. But that was a rare exception for best data available.

Normally I use American or Euro forecast models because there are more of them and have higher accuracy.
I use these for forecasting:
http://www.grlevelx.com/ professional level Doppler radar viewer.
RadarScope for iOS and Android.
And for the above two programs I have a https://www.allisonhouse.com/ $10 a month data feed subscription. During major weather the public feeds start to slow down allisonhouse does not slow down.
You say get high, I say hello!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
edgedamage wrote: I use these for forecasting:
http://www.grlevelx.com/ professional level Doppler radar viewer.
RadarScope for iOS and Android.
And for the above two programs I have a https://www.allisonhouse.com/ $10 a month data feed subscription. During major weather the public feeds start to slow down allisonhouse does not slow down.
Ok thanks. That's good to know.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8386 posts
1508 upvotes
djemzine wrote: According to Power Stream twitter, Aurora and Oakridges (where I live), power will be restored EOD! COME ON! RESTORE IT BY MID DAY NOW :razz:
They're saying pretty much all remaining customers without power will have it back up EOD with some pockets of outages, so that's their general estimate, different areas will come back up at different times. Should be faster today then yesterday as they're rolling all their crews plus contractors, and municipal forestry staff in the York Region townships are also kicking in to help out as well.

As for road conditions, they are pretty good, once you get out of the locals and onto the arterials and collectors it's clear sailing, took me 15 mins to get into work this morning, normally it's a 30 min drive.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3911 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Ok thanks. That's good to know.
With grlevelx I you can see tornado's when they are starting to form, in the clouds.
You say get high, I say hello!
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41490 posts
6511 upvotes
Winkle wrote: They're saying pretty much all remaining customers without power will have it back up EOD with some pockets of outages, so that's their general estimate, different areas will come back up at different times. Should be faster today then yesterday as they're rolling all their crews plus contractors, and municipal forestry staff in the York Region townships are also kicking in to help out as well.

As for road conditions, they are pretty good, once you get out of the locals and onto the arterials and collectors it's clear sailing, took me 15 mins to get into work this morning, normally it's a 30 min drive.
Ya I was reading about that on their Twitter page this morning. My street still hasn't been cleared up ugh lol. Semi icy but nothing my flat 4 Boxer engine can't handle :razz: Not challenging enough as my TSC light doesn't come on. Need MORE ice lol.
Proud to be an Indian.
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
edgedamage wrote: With grlevelx I you can see tornado's when they are starting to form, in the clouds.
That seems like fun. It gets fun in this thread each time I am tracking with great excitement, the evolution and development of a new storm system. Winter weather is very fun to track. Summer weather can be too, but all of it is localized and hard to pin point where it's going to happen until it arrives. Also the flooding was nothing fun for anyone to see last summer. I was without power and could not get on the weather thread.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Glad I moved from York U village. Would have been without power for days.
blahhh
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41490 posts
6511 upvotes
FML the Starbucks WiFi just got hammered down by users or something. Can't connect to it now. Not showing up on the list.

Phew, reconnected! Damn high schoolers lol. Need to finish downloading some movies :razz:
Proud to be an Indian.
May 25, 2009
8386 posts
1508 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Ya I was reading about that on their Twitter page this morning. My street still hasn't been cleared up ugh lol. Semi icy but nothing my flat 4 Boxer engine can't handle :razz: Not challenging enough as my TSC light doesn't come on. Need MORE ice lol.
Yeah my street hasn't been cleared, it's messy but it's been chewed up so it's mix of ground up snow and very rough ice so there's actually a lot of traction. Our cars with winters handled it with ease, a little bumpy but not slippery at all. At this point there's no point in plowing it, they wouldn't be able to anyways. My neighbour has a truck with a plow on it, he couldn't clear our driveway at all, the ice is solid. He dumped a 20 kg of ice melter on our driveway yesterday and it only melted the first couple of layers lol.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9518 posts
4112 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Man this Starbucks that I am at is in chaos. Their system is down, so only cash transactions (can't get no stars by using my Starbucks card ugh lol) and its getting packed. Good thing I came in early to charge up my devices.
same for the Tim Hortons opposite Times Square / Next to the sheraton hotel
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9518 posts
4112 upvotes
Toronto
slowtyper wrote: Anyone going to charge stuff at a starbucks or cafe, I'd recommend bringing a power strip (or 2) with you. If its full, offer to put your power strip there and you can still use it, plus everyone will love you.

Till you have to go LOL - but yeah.. good idea.. that will for sure almost assure you to get your devices charged :)