Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
UrbanPoet wrote: Icestorm happenings kinda cooled off.
Yep. That is why I returned the Weather Thread to normal mode. It seems like everyone has recovered from it, well almost everybody. I am waiting anxiously for something else exciting to come up in the forecast models ;) I want another big storm to track! And for it to come and not disappoint.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7225 posts
432 upvotes
York
Wow, that looks pretty bad if it comes through.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
dankup wrote: Wow, that looks pretty bad if it comes through.
Yes. What is on the map is quite serious. It may only be just colours on a map right now, but what they mean is some big storms to combine with cold and anyone knows that big storms that are cold in winter can only mean one thing, a big winter storm!
It can really be an ice storm or a snowstorm. Whatever it is, it can be quite significant. So yes, if the latest map data really does come through, this could be a big one. I'm keeping an eye on the GFS model. It does a pretty good job at this.

Just the thought of Toronto getting ground to a halt all over again by active weather is so amazing, yet at the same time will become quite frustrating because we know it won't be managed as well as it should.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
i want a 50cm snow storm, pls make it happen janeandfinch. :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
i asked u bec your predictions come true, maybe if u predict a heavy snow storm, the weather will follow ur command and will make it happen. :lol:

-------------------
wait, the last snow storm which happened like 2 weeks ago, toronto wasnt shut down. hmm.. why.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
test9251 wrote: i asked u bec your predictions come true, maybe if u predict a heavy snow storm, the weather will follow ur command and will make it happen. :lol:
Lol I wish. Had that been true, Toronto would be in weather lockdown from Christmas till March break because of snowstorms, blizzards and wicked deep freezes :lol:
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2187 posts
444 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
I am starting to think something like this might make sense to have just in case for the future. Plus like always with everything in life if you have it it probably assures you that you will never need it. Lots of places carry these I looked on the website and Princess Auto and Home Hardware along with a zillion other places carry them. CSA certified for indoor emergency use, just read the and properly follow the directions.

We are really thinking about this or getting a natural gas generator wired to the electrical panel.

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=116
http://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=45

http://www.costco.com/Honeywell-20KW-Ge ... 59602.html
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JACKIE26 wrote: I am starting to think something like this might make sense to have just in case for the future. Plus like always with everything in life if you have it it probably assures you that you will never need it. Lots of places carry these I looked on the website and Princess Auto and Home Hardware along with a zillion other places carry them. CSA certified for indoor emergency use, just read the and properly follow the directions.

We are really thinking about this or getting a natural gas generator wired to the electrical panel.

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=116
http://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=45

http://www.costco.com/Honeywell-20KW-Ge ... 59602.html
All that does make sense. Extreme weather events almost seem to be on the increase and you probably will end up needing them anyways, even if you get them expecting to never end up using them, you could indeed end up finding yourself using them more than once. This storm proved just how easy it is for problems to arise in our infrastructure from an otherwise not so severe storm.

If you take a look in purely natural settings, the forests have been barely touched by that storm, yet right in the city and its hydro grid, Toronto got "devastated" by it. SO we are vulnerable to weather events.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7225 posts
432 upvotes
York
I know I was an idiot thinking that the ice storm last week is gonna be nothing but I'm gonna say that the storm you're tracking atm is also gonna be nothing :razz: It's fascinating how we can know weather a week in advance. Can't it change between now and January 5th? Don't think we're gonna be at a standstill even if it does arrive, a lot of snow won't cause a power outage I think. Hopefully it causes a snow day though! :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41850 posts
6588 upvotes
Ah man just got back from Brampton attending a family friend's dinner. Just got back, tired, and gonna hit the bed. I got the cold from some ***** from either of the malls earlier on in the week. Effing people who are sick should avoid public places man! *****! Not to mention the driveway is icy for some reason :S Either the icicles are melting and freezing up again or something.
Proud to be an Indian.
Aug 27, 2012
5674 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
just heard a loud BANG!, i think the ice fell from the roof of our neighbors.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
dankup wrote: I know I was an idiot thinking that the ice storm last week is gonna be nothing but I'm gonna say that the storm you're tracking atm is also gonna be nothing :razz: It's fascinating how we can know weather a week in advance. Can't it change between now and January 5th? Don't think we're gonna be at a standstill even if it does arrive, a lot of snow won't cause a power outage I think. Hopefully it causes a snow day though! :cheesygri
I littered that post is coulds and maybes and stuff because I am far from confirming anything. In fact I have not even spotted a specific storm in the models yet, just different storms appearing in the GFS with each run that comes out. Therefore it is a pattern conducive to a major storm that I am watching to see if it produces a big one and I am waiting for the GFS to come up with a storm that stays. So I am on GFS vigilence mode, not storm watch mode :)
djemzine wrote: Ah man just got back from Brampton attending a family friend's dinner. Just got back, tired, and gonna hit the bed. I got the cold from some ***** from either of the malls earlier on in the week. Effing people who are sick should avoid public places man! *****! Not to mention the driveway is icy for some reason :S Either the icicles are melting and freezing up again or something.
I hate it too. It is theese people that are responsible for constantly sickening hundreds others across the Toronto area!
test9251 wrote: just heard a loud BANG!, i think the ice fell from the roof of our neighbors.
I was startled by one last night too lol right when I walked out and snow melting suddenly smashed against a surface. It was so loud too!
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Here is another example of a storm that the GFS is showing. I don't expect any of these individuals to be what comes, but the fact that each run of the GFS has these popping up (combined with NOAA's ominous cold/stormy forecast) sounds the alarm that we are entering yet another weather pattern that holds potential of another major winter storm. Anyways, here is the example of a storm that could shape up, this being an example because this particular event is too far in the future (start time, Jan 10) in the GFS:
[IMG]http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/gf ... precip.gif[/IMG]
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Food donations offered to Ontario residents affected by ice storm

TORONTO – Loblaw Companies Limited has donated $25,000 in grocery store gift cards to help compensate people who lost food in the wake of the ice storm, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne told reporters Sunday.
“Really it is the food compensation that we’re most concerned about,” said Wynne, who hopes the province can match the amount and challenged other retailers to help out.

READ MORE: Thousands of Toronto residents still in the dark

Wynne provided an update on the response to the ice storm as she toured the main hub of Emergency Management Ontario along with Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services Madeleine Meilleur, Minister of Energy Bob Chiarelli and city of Toronto officials.

The province’s office of Fire Marshall and Emergency Management is handling the distribution of the gift cards and priority will be given to those who cannot afford to replace spoiled food.

Officials in Toronto are sounding optimistic as they provided an update Sunday on the on-going recovery effort to re-connect thousands who lost power following the devastating ice storm.

Mayor Rob Ford said this weekend there’s “light at the end of the tunnel” in Toronto and if all goes well, everyone might have power by Tuesday.

READ MORE: NB Power warns it could be after the New Year before power is restored

Toronto Hydro CEO Anthony Haines said for the first time in seven days he can see the finish line approaching, although he wouldn’t predict exactly when power would be restored to all customers in Toronto.

“We’re now hour by hour,” said Haines during the news conference, adding crews will work until every home and business has access to heat and light.

Toronto Hydro said 7,400 customers still remain in the dark.

Early Sunday morning Toronto Mayor Rob Ford stopped by a Toronto Hydro facility and thanked crews who have been working tirelessly to restore power to the 300,000 residents who lost power at the height of the outage.

Ford was joined by Haines who said crews are making good progress, but thousands of residents in the two hardest hit areas – Scarborough and midtown Toronto – still don’t have access to heat and hot water.

As hydro crews work to re-connect the remaining homes, officials warned residents to watch out for falling ice as warm temperatures have caused ice to break off from tree branches, buildings, and power lines.

READ MORE: Warmer temperatures causing ice to fall from trees, hydro wires

One Hamilton worker suffered injuries after being struck in the head by falling ice Saturday, though he was wearing his hardhat.

As of Sunday the latest tally shows power is still out for 1,200 homes and businesses elsewhere in Ontario, 9,000 in Quebec, and 8,700 in New Brunswick.

*With files from the Canadian Press

© Shaw Media, 2013
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Yay! Toronto Hydro is here and is going to take the storm debris off the wires! So I guess this whole issue is going to be resolved after all! I guess they are going around to each house that has storm debris causing wire problems and removing the issue so I guess everyone will get accounted for even if the storm caused problems on their private property, still will get handled by the city. This surprises me because they have taken care of Jones ave in all these parts that had nuisance storm debris and no associated outages, even when thousands are without power in the rest of the city. Boy am I glad to live on Jones where things are well attended to :)

Good thing too because the stupid landlord refuses all contact while he is fooling around doin whatever in China, so he has been useless in resolving the storm issue here.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Thanks for your update.
Those changes are needed after I noticed some worrying changes to the climate possibly coming up. As you will see in the following images, we have a new trend starting where the coldest winter time temperatures are now starting to exit the polar regions and invade highly populated areas, in other words, the most frigid air is going where it really is not supposed to be. New problems with the climate are causing the displacement of this frigid air from the North Pole to areas where we live and this is very concerning. Here yo can see a map of what is happening:
A green arrow points to the Arctic where very cold weather is supposed to be during winter, but is not, while the red areas show where the purple zone, or very frigid cold air is expected to invade on highly populated areas. Note how the coldest weather is NOT anywhere in the Arctic but instead, right down to where we are!!!! Yes, that's right, the coldest air in the northern hemisphere is getting displaced out of the arctic and right next to where Toronto is, all because of a very serious imbalance in the climate that is taking shape.
[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XHPyEwtEfXU/U ... south2.jpg[/IMG]

Now this map shows how things are supposed to be with purple staying up in polar zones and light blue zones staying where we are:
[IMG]http://www.atmos.albany.edu/daes/atmcla ... 850jja.png[/IMG]
This is the way it is supposed to be but for some reason our climate is messing up and very frigid weather is invading constantly where it should not and this is why more care needs to be taken to have warnings issued for intense cold.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
renoldman wrote: Your Second image is for the summer months ....

And some of the unusual pattern can be explained by how the earth rotates

See:

[IMG]http://www.nationsonline.org/bilder/ear ... n_axis.jpg[/IMG]
I could not find one for DJF months, but either way, the coldest temperatures are still supposed to be in the areas shown. The only difference is supposed to be the temperature gradient or the temperature difference between the north polar regions and here. No way is the most frigid air supposed to be displaced into the US and areas adjacent to Toronto. This is being caused by a very disrupted jet stream. If this pattern worsens, it could become serious because having the coldest temperatures here and not in the arctic right during winter is a very bad sign.

If you look at the map for the current forecast I posted on that last post, you can see that something is definatly wrong with it. Temps could soar to just below freezing in the Arctic where it is supposed to be minus 20s, minus 30s constantly. It is very much getting out of balance. Climate change may be playing a role in this.

Looking again at the forecast temperatures for northern hemisphere, something is certainly wrong with the fact that it is getting so warm in the Arctic in the middle of winter and so cold down here. These temperatures seen in the Arctic are supposed to happen in summer, not winter:
[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XHPyEwtEfXU/U ... south2.jpg[/IMG]
blahhh