Off Topic

Official Weather Thread: Historical warming and melting taking place in the Arctic

Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I just posted a post that is quite concerning. The model that nailed the last storm right on (predicted with perfect precision, the ice storm from days in advance) is called the GEM model. This model is now giving us yet another battering with a major major winter storm. this is growing into a real concern as this model is not letting go of this idea. More fro the post I made in the Accuweather forums:
snow > ice though, imho.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
KevC wrote: snow > ice though, imho.
Above map shows us getting a break from the actual ice storm, but not the active weather. Looks like a one foot snowstorm to me! That's if the GEM model turns out to be right.
blahhh
Banned
Nov 30, 2012
603 posts
190 upvotes
Did anyone do the Annual Polar Bear dip at LakeShore’s Sunnyside Pavilion in Etobicoke this afternoon?
Great weather for it today... :|
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
timbit2030 wrote: Did anyone do the Annual Polar Bear dip at LakeShore’s Sunnyside Pavilion in Etobicoke this afternoon?
Great weather for it today... :|
They should have waited to do it tomorrow because there will be a windchill of minus 30! :lol:

I didn't go.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2873 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
5000th POST WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
therollin wrote: 5000th POST WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:)
UUh! nooo!! I was totally prepared to do that and you beat me to that one too!!!!!

LOl

btw people are liking your guide on temperature. It works great!

But remember, I called dibs on page 400!!!! not you! :razz:
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2219 posts
449 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
I am not happy about this at all. I have a family member very ill in the hospital and need to be able to go back and forth without a hassle. Damn you weather!!

JaneandFinch, I need better weather make it happen, and prove the forecasters at environment Canada wrong again please.

More snow on the way for Hamilton
Environment Canada issued a special weather statement for Hamilton at mid-day Wednesday, warning of significant snowfall today, tonight and Thursday.
On the heels of the ice storm, and days of cold alerts, a slow-moving warm front just south of the Great Lakes was expected to bring 10 to 15 cm of snow.
Environment Canada said higher amounts are possible over areas near the western end of Lake Ontario where northeast winds off the lake may add to the snow totals.
In addition, some areas will see gusty winds and blowing snow.
"However, because of the long duration of this event, about 30 to 36 hours for most areas, snowfall warnings may not be needed," the weather agency said.
Snowfall warnings are issued when 15 cm or more of snow is forecast within a period of 12 hours or less.
At the same time, a cold weather alert for the city which was issued on Tuesday night remains in effect.
A cold alert is issued when current or anticipated weather is at or below -15 C or -20 with wind chill.
The alert will remain in place until public health issues a cancellation.
The Halton Region Health Department has also issued a cold weather alert starting Jan. 1, which it expects will last two days.
In a press release, the City of Hamilton noted it has notified agencies that work with vulnerable and homeless people about the alert.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JACKIE26 wrote: I am not happy about this at all. I have a family member very ill in the hospital and need to be able to go back and forth without a hassle. Damn you weather!!

JaneandFinch, I need better weather make it happen, and prove the forecasters at environment Canada wrong again please.

Environment Canada issued a special weather statement for Hamilton at mid-day Wednesday, warning of significant snowfall today, tonight and Thursday.
On the heels of the ice storm, and days of cold alerts, a slow-moving warm front just south of the Great Lakes was expected to bring 10 to 15 cm of snow.
Environment Canada said higher amounts are possible over areas near the western end of Lake Ontario where northeast winds off the lake may add to the snow totals.
"However, because of the long duration of this event, about 30 to 36 hours for most areas, snowfall warnings may not be needed," the weather agency said.
Snowfall warnings are issued when 15 cm or more of snow is forecast within a period of 12 hours or less.
At the same time, a cold weather alert for the city which was issued on Tuesday night remains in effect.
A cold alert is issued when current or anticipated weather is at or below -15 C or -20 with wind chill.
The Halton Region Health Department has also issued a cold weather alert starting Jan. 1, which it expects will last two days.
In a press release, the City of Hamilton noted it has notified agencies that work with vulnerable and homeless people about the alert.
Hi. Well, due to the slow rate of snowfall, I don't see any big issue arising. The cold will not be a problem until tomorrow, but I doubt that will have an effect. The snow is currently looking to be quite manageable this time so it looks like you are in luck. I will check the latest run of the GEM model and I will let you what is shows. I am hoping to see quite small snow amounts for this storm. I will be back in a few minutes wit the update, but so far it looks like you will be fine :)
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JACKIE26 wrote: I am not happy about this at all. I have a family member very ill in the hospital and need to be able to go back and forth without a hassle. Damn you weather!!

I checked the GEM model and it looks like there won't be much in the way of snowfall apart from 10 am to 1 pm tomorrow. During those 3 hours, it may come down a little bit heavy, but looks light during all other times including all of today. So looks good.
I see light-moderate snow from dawn through 10 am as well tomorrow before the slightly heavier stuff moves in for a few hours. But still not enough to cause very much of a problem. Good luck!

I should warn you that due to the unstable nature of lake effect snow, heavy snow can come in at any time during the storm because I have been caught by surprise many times. This is not so much part of the actual storm, but just lake effect that has the abillity to get locally heavy in isolated spots between Hamilton and Grimsby. This snow is not picked up by models, but you just should be careful about lake effect snow as this can happen without notice. It is quite troubling but that is what it is like.

I wish lake effect were not a factor because it is extremely hard to predict. The rest of the storm I already know what will happen with it. Hopefully the lake effect snow will not develop too much. I don't know what else to say about that part. It must be the trickiest thing I have had to predict because of the way it develops. Let's just hope the lake effect doesn't get too much in your way.
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
UrbanPoet wrote: Congrats weather thread on 5000!
Thanks :) this thread really is moving along quite well. Very few threads on RFD get this far. Go weather!!

I just hope this tricky lake effect snow situation doesn't complicate matters too much for JACKIE26.
blahhh
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2219 posts
449 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I checked the GEM model and it looks like there won't be much in the way of snowfall apart from 10 am to 1 pm tomorrow. During those 3 hours, it may come down a little bit heavy, but looks light during all other times including all of today. So looks good.
I see light-moderate snow from dawn through 10 am as well tomorrow before the slightly heavier stuff moves in for a few hours. But still not enough to cause very much of a problem. Good luck!

I should warn you that due to the unstable nature of lake effect snow, heavy snow can come in at any time during the storm because I have been caught by surprise many times. This is not so much part of the actual storm, but just lake effect that has the abillity to get locally heavy in isolated spots between Hamilton and Grimsby. This snow is not picked up by models, but you just should be careful about lake effect snow as this can happen without notice. It is quite troubling but that is what it is like.

I wish lake effect were not a factor because it is extremely hard to predict. The rest of the storm I already know what will happen with it. Hopefully the lake effect snow will not develop too much. I don't know what else to say about that part. It must be the trickiest thing I have had to predict because of the way it develops. Let's just hope the lake effect doesn't get too much in your way.
Thanks gives some relief if its heavier between 10am-3pm that's not too bad it won't affect me that much. Thank you again, for the actual real and accurate forecast. Oh and I am sorry forgot to wish you a Happy New Year!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
EURO snowfall has been put out and I think it is time to go back to the threat of the snowstorm because the same models are coming into agreement of a heavy snowfall for Monday where Toronto lies right in the path of the worst of the snowstorm. They are converging on the consensus that the storm would pass perfectly aver Lake Ontario to produce a lot of snow for us. Here is the snowfall map. For some reasons, those guys at accuweather didn't post the rest of the map period so this is what we have to work with grrrrrr! :evil:
[IMG]http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php ... &id=216732[/IMG]
blahhh
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
JACKIE26 wrote: Thanks gives some relief if its heavier between 10am-3pm that's not too bad it won't affect me that much. Thank you again, for the actual real and accurate forecast. Oh and I am sorry forgot to wish you a Happy New Year!
Thanks a lot. I'm glad my forecast was helpful and you understand the complications arising with the lake effect snow. Again, during those mentioned hours, lake effect snow has the ability to come in so it is good that is not going to do you much harm. Take it easy tomorrow morning between Hamilton and Grimsby.

And take note of the storm I am following that I posted just above this post. It may be big because the models are starting to show that.

And a Happy New Year to you too!
blahhh
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12270 posts
1155 upvotes
Brampton
Looks like global warming has now disappeared with all this cold weather.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
cheapmeister wrote: Looks like global warming has now disappeared with all this cold weather.
Kinda seems that way.

Egypt last month got its first snowfall in 112 years!
Arctic had its coldest recorded summer last summer
We are getting temperatures that stopped being common about a decade ago.

Sure feels like we don't have global warming anymore!
blahhh
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4973 posts
688 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: Looks like global warming has now disappeared with all this cold weather.
actually, imagine how cold it would be if we didn't have global warming! LOL!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1872 upvotes
Ontario
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Kinda seems that way.

Egypt last month got its first snowfall in 112 years!
Arctic had its coldest recorded summer last summer
We are getting temperatures that stopped being common about a decade ago.

Sure feels like we don't have global warming anymore!
Once it became clear by "scientists" that temperatures are not increasing, they changed it to 'climate change' instead. ;)
I believe I read one time that models may even indicate a global COOLING.
Go figure, right?